Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Spring Training and ripping on the Mets and Orioles for being terrible franchises (no offense, I’m a Mets fan), got me thinking...

1. MLB wants to reorganize the Minors (makes total sense) but their plan doesn’t make total sense and was bungled and ticked off everyone. And Commissioner Manfred can’t go more than 6 months without talking about MLB Expansion. So why tick off all of the minors with a 30-team plan? Wait til AFTER expansion and then do reorganization with “4 leagues of 8” at each level of the minors. One Western, One Central, and two eastern.

2. Speaking of MLB expansion: 32 teams IS better, but opens a huge can of worms for realignment. Any team moving divisions has veto rights, which makes it very difficult. Any alignment where the Central Time Zone Teams have to join the Pacific/Mountain Time Zone teams will never have the votes; and Radical Realignment of West/East like the NBA has is dumb and destroys a 125 years of tradition.

You need a solution where:
  • the 8 Mountain/West teams get to play each other more.
  • the 8 Central Division teams don’t get put with the Western Teams
  • You can get the votes from everyone moving divisions.
  • Ideally, you don’t poop on the 125 years of tradition of AL and NL being separate.
So here’s my idea:
Pacific League: SEA, OAK, SFG, LAD, LAA, SD, ARZ, COL
American League: BAL, BOS, NYY, CLE, DET, CWS, KCR, MIN
National League: CHC, MIL, STL, CIN, PIT, PHI, ATL, Nashville
Continental League: HOU, TEX, TB, MIA, TOR, Montreal, NYM, WAS

3. DH rule. The DH will never go away because the MLBPA is too strong. But it’s dumb and ruins strategy. So I say DH for all of baseball, but change the DH rule…

Pitcher’s spot is on lineup card.
One bench player is listed as DH and is a free sub on offense for the STARTING PITCHER ONLY. Once SP is out of the game, a DH that appeared is out of the game.

However, If DH has NOT appeared when SP exits the game, the DH is available as a bench player.
Decision to use a DH can be made situationally. (I.E., sacrifice situation let the SP bunt).

This ADDS strategy for everyone: Where to bat the DH, who to use as DH, gives teams with good hitting SP an advantage. Restores late-game pitcher’s spot strategy to AL.

You may now lose your minds.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I like the idea of expansion, but think MLB is a ways off from it being a good time to implement. But, if/when it does happen, I would think they'll go to a similar route as the NFL with 8 divisions of 4. Keep the AL and NL teams in their leagues. This allows for tighter rivalries and gives MLB the chance to realign and make travel easier. Like you said, the central teams (Tex and Hou) don't need to go to Seattle, Oakland, and Anaheim so much, but could go to Kansas City and Minnesota instead, for example. 4 divisions per league also helps them fix the playoffs, which I hate now with the one-game wild card.

I do like your DH rule, though. That's some good out-of-the-box thinking and does add another element of strategy.

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
And for the record, I liked unbalanced schedules and a real separation of the AL and NL. I miss real interleague play.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
The Spring Training and ripping on the Mets and Orioles for being terrible franchises (no offense, I’m a Mets fan), got me thinking...

1. MLB wants to reorganize the Minors (makes total sense) but their plan doesn’t make total sense and was bungled and ticked off everyone. And Commissioner Manfred can’t go more than 6 months without talking about MLB Expansion. So why tick off all of the minors with a 30-team plan? Wait til AFTER expansion and then do reorganization with “4 leagues of 8” at each level of the minors. One Western, One Central, and two eastern.

2. Speaking of MLB expansion: 32 teams IS better, but opens a huge can of worms for realignment. Any team moving divisions has veto rights, which makes it very difficult. Any alignment where the Central Time Zone Teams have to join the Pacific/Mountain Time Zone teams will never have the votes; and Radical Realignment of West/East like the NBA has is dumb and destroys a 125 years of tradition.

You need a solution where:
  • the 8 Mountain/West teams get to play each other more.
  • the 8 Central Division teams don’t get put with the Western Teams
  • You can get the votes from everyone moving divisions.
  • Ideally, you don’t poop on the 125 years of tradition of AL and NL being separate.
So here’s my idea:
Pacific League: SEA, OAK, SFG, LAD, LAA, SD, ARZ, COL
American League: BAL, BOS, NYY, CLE, DET, CWS, KCR, MIN
National League: CHC, MIL, STL, CIN, PIT, PHI, ATL, Nashville
Continental League: HOU, TEX, TB, MIA, TOR, Montreal, NYM, WAS

3. DH rule. The DH will never go away because the MLBPA is too strong. But it’s dumb and ruins strategy. So I say DH for all of baseball, but change the DH rule…

Pitcher’s spot is on lineup card.
One bench player is listed as DH and is a free sub on offense for the STARTING PITCHER ONLY. Once SP is out of the game, a DH that appeared is out of the game.

However, If DH has NOT appeared when SP exits the game, the DH is available as a bench player.
Decision to use a DH can be made situationally. (I.E., sacrifice situation let the SP bunt).

This ADDS strategy for everyone: Where to bat the DH, who to use as DH, gives teams with good hitting SP an advantage. Restores late-game pitcher’s spot strategy to AL.

You may now lose your minds.
I dunno, jp. Your plan includes “Ideally, you don’t poop on the 125 years of tradition of AL and NL being separate,” and then in the next sentence you pooped on the 125 years of tradition of AL and NL being separate. In expansion, I think it best to add one team to each league, but, like JonBoy, I doubt MLB would move to two 8 team divisions per league. More likely four 4 team divisions per league, which I wouldn’t necessarily like. I already get a little tired of watching the Braves, Phillies, Nats and Marlins 19 times each. I suppose the number of games against the other 3 teams in your team’s division might not need to change much, but I haven’t thought through the scheduling ramifications of moving to smaller 4 team divisions. I already waste too much time on these boards.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Expand to 32, with Montreal and Portland getting franchises.

Eliminate divisions. With today’s travel options, they are irrelevant. Just have an AL and an NL with 16 teams each.

Limit interleague play to MAYBE 2-4 series per team while primarily focusing on regional “rivalries”. The World Series and All-Star Game lost their pop when interleague play became oversaturated.

DH for both leagues. Just get with it, dudes, because that is flat out happening.

Back to 154 games. It’s better for everyone. Make sure the postseason begins and ends in October.

Top five from each league goes to the postseason. Wildcards play a best of three series on consecutive days in the higher seed’s park. Divisional round goes to a best of seven to recoup some lost regular season revenue.

If anyone alive disagrees with any aspect of my proposals, then he/she can EH/HOA.

·
Registered
941 Posts

Eliminate divisions. With today’s travel options, they are irrelevant. Just have an AL and an NL with 16 teams each.

Limit interleague play to MAYBE 2-4 series per team while primarily focusing on regional “rivalries”. The World Series and All-Star Game lost their pop when interleague play became oversaturated.

DH for both leagues. Just get with it, dudes, because that is flat out happening.

Back to 154 games. It’s better for everyone. Make sure the postseason begins and ends in October.

Top five from each league goes to the postseason. Wildcards play a best of three series on consecutive days in the higher seed’s park. Divisional round goes to a best of seven to recoup some lost regular season revenue.

If anyone alive disagrees with any aspect of my proposals, then he/she can EH/HOA.
No to Montreal. Now I'll go EMOA.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Montreal should get a team.

That new DH rule is something that would never be implemented. DHs can have some of the highest salaries in baseball and no one is going to vote to potentially take their best batter (or one of their best) out of the lineup if their pitcher is struggling and gets taken out. That's exactly when you'd want them to bat the most. Also, if you link it to the starting pitcher, does it then get linked to subsequent relief pitchers? Or is it only related to the SP? That would be a strange distinction to need to make. Also literally no teams would choose to have their starting pitcher go to bat over anyone else for any reason, sacrifice or not, and providing the teams the opportunity to use a SP instead of a DH at their discretion would lead to situations where a DH is in the first time around, SP the second time, and back to the same DH later, unless of course that also requires the first DH to be removed from the lineup after that - in which case it becomes even less likely they'd ever use a SP over the DH in the order.

tl;dr: the only way the DH rule is being changed is if it gets implemented in the NL as well. It won't be getting a less prominent role in the AL ever.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, I was saying that new DH rule would be for all of baseball.

You say no one is going to vote to get rid of a high-price big bat from their lineup, but the days of the David Ortiz Full-Time DH thing are over. Teams now use their DH as a "half day off" for players. They get 7 guys for 5 positions and let one take the day off, one DH. Two guys were qualified hitters at DH last year; one of them had a nagging injury all year (Khris Davis) and the other is 41 years old (Nelson Cruz).

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I think in 10 years baseball will be playing to empty stadiums. But that's beside the point. NL needs to adopt the full-time DH like the AL. There's too much $ invested in pitchers to be sending them out there to bat and run bases when they are ill-equipped to do so. Other improvements they could make would be stop playing baseball in shit weather. Start later, end sooner. Almost the entire season is determined by how you do in June-August when it's 90 degrees and then the World Series might as well be played in snowsuits. I'm not necessarily old school but I think expansion blows. The pitching talent is watered down enough, we don't need two more squads each taking 5 SP's and a bank of relievers. As far as playoffs, I'd actually like a shorter season (as mentioned above) and then expand to something like NFL, with 6 per league. 1/2 get byes, and 3/6 and 4/5 play a 3-game series. Then 5-game semifinal series. Then 7-game CS. 7-game WS. Ditch interleague play altogether, or limit it to regional contests.

·
Registered
27 Posts
no DH is better. What kind of baseball player doesn't have to play defense? grab a glove and teach yourself how to catch a ball. pitchers, get a bat and some cajones.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Oh, I was saying that new DH rule would be for all of baseball.

You say no one is going to vote to get rid of a high-price big bat from their lineup, but the days of the David Ortiz Full-Time DH thing are over. Teams now use their DH as a "half day off" for players. They get 7 guys for 5 positions and let one take the day off, one DH. Two guys were qualified hitters at DH last year; one of them had a nagging injury all year (Khris Davis) and the other is 41 years old (Nelson Cruz).
I know that was what you were saying. I was saying your proposed changes to how the DH works in the AL won't be implemented and the far more likely scenario is that the way it works in the AL will simply be implemented in the NL as well.

Also your other assessment is strange, as it's just a 1 year assessment (and therefore could be an outlier) and ignores the fact that teams bring people in as "primary DH" and pay them money for it. No one is going to confuse JD Martinez's primary role on the Red Sox with being Outfield instead of DH. Sure, technically he's listed there on sites that only list "Pitchers" "Infield" and "Outfield" for groupings, but he's not a starter out there.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts

I’m not going to disagree with Bill Russell mainly because baseball is the second most boring sport to watch with soccer being the most boring sport to watch.

All this being said, I loved watching the Big Red Machine beating the shit out of the Dodgers its divisional rival. I have no idea if the Reds even have a rival today.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
cajones = drawers, like the ones you would find in a dresser
cojones = balls, nuts, testicles, nads, etc.
So if he said the player had to grab his cojones from the cajones, then at least he would be making his point?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts