Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What the heck is BC doing playing Shawnee State (DII NAIA)? That's pathetic. You would think any AE team would love to have a shot to play @ BC.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I think BC just wants as many OOC wins as they can get so their record won't look as bad when they start getting their butts kicked by the ACC teams. Bet you BC loses to Duke by more then BU did!

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AE Hoops Fan Man said:
I think BC just wants as many OOC wins as they can get so their record won't look as bad when they start getting their butts kicked by the ACC teams. Bet you BC loses to Duke by more then BU did!
Does BC play BU? How about a basketball beanpot, has that ever been discussed? Or is BC to full of themselves to consider such a thing?

·
Premium Member
33,343 Posts
BC is playing in some tournament in Las Vegas...they agree to play in the tourney in advance and have no say in who they are paired up against in the first round.

But, yeah, I don't like BC either so lets blast them anyways for scheduling cupcakes! :)

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
I would bet that B.C. would beat B.U. pretty easily...like them or not they have a talented and experienced team. Craig Smith would dominate against B.U. because well...he dominates against anyone...

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
icemchine9 said:
I would bet that B.C. would beat B.U. pretty easily...like them or not they have a talented and experienced team. Craig Smith would dominate against B.U. because well...he dominates against anyone...
Last years BU BC game was excellent. BU and BC went down to the wire, and BU almost pulled it out... Smith Dropped 20, but Gardner and Bell had 20 a piece... I wouldn't bet on BC beating BU pretty easily, they had a tough time for a while with Dartmouth, who is very bad... Plus, right now BC is without both Akida McClain and Williams in the post, their starting John Oates at center. At this point in the season it could be a very good game. Duke didn't have an easy time with BU, and BC is no where near duke...

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
I'm not trying to take anything away from BU because they played well against Duke, but I think if they play that game 10 times, Duke wins by a more than 20 eight times out of 10. B.U. played well, but i think their true level isn't how they played against Duke and Duke's level is higher than how they played.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
icemchine9 said:
I'm not trying to take anything away from BU because they played well against Duke, but I think if they play that game 10 times, Duke wins by a more than 20 eight times out of 10. B.U. played well, but i think their true level isn't how they played against Duke and Duke's level is higher than how they played.
Thats fair enough. However, I think the case could be argued that right now, this years BU team overall is as good if not better than last years team, and right now (looking at the Suspensions in effect) this years BC team is not better, maybe not even as good, as last years team. and BU was much much more than competative against BC last year, so I see no reason why it would be different this year.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
You really think that B.U. is better without Rashad Bell and Chaz Carr? They were good and had great experience as well. I would think last year's B.U. would have to be better just because of them (not to mention Brower.) I admit my opinion can't really count untill i have seen B.U. play this year in person. But I would find it really hard to believe a team as young as the B.U. team this year is actually better than last year's team.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
icemchine9 said:
You really think that B.U. is better without Rashad Bell and Chaz Carr? They were good and had great experience as well. I would think last year's B.U. would have to be better just because of them (not to mention Brower.) I admit my opinion can't really count untill i have seen B.U. play this year in person. But I would find it really hard to believe a team as young as the B.U. team this year is actually better than last year's team.
I was as huge a Rashad fan as there is, and loved Chaz. However, top to bottom this years team has way more depth than last years, there are several legit scorers and players on the team. Last year if one of the two of Chaz or Rashad was off, then they were done. Ben Coblyn is a huge addition as is Konate, not to mentio Hassan's shooting. You may very well be right, but they jsut look like much more of a team this year... Brower is no loss at all. Very one dimensional player...

·
Registered
341 Posts
A few things:

I believe a basketball beanpot was tried for a few years, maybe in the 70's? It was wildly unpopular I believe (that's all off the top of my head, and I wasnt alive in the 70's, so i dunno)... Anyways, seeing as BU and Harvard dropped NU this season, and skinner probably wouldnt play NU until JJB is gone (JJB shut down Troy Bell 2 years ago, and knocked BC off the bubble), I doubt the teams are that close to each other that they'd play. The hockey beanpot is obviously established, but 3 of the 4 teams are also conference mates, so they play anyways. Harvard is a top ECACHL team usually anyways.

BC is the most overrated team in the country. There's no Sean Williams, and if he DOES play this year it's anotehr joke from Al 'sweep it under the carpet' Skinner. Jermaine Watson is my case and point. Anyways, Dudley is ok, and Smith can play, but they dont have a complete team to be in the top-25.

BUT, they have ZERO OOC teams on their sched worth anything. They wont lose one of them, and if they do it would be a huge loss for them. Shawnee? Buffalo? Harvard? C'mon. I seriously wonder how their OOC RPI compares with the ACC average.

I'll go on record and say right now, that BC will NOT make the NCAA's without winning the ACC tourney. No at-large bid for them. Once they get into conference play, they're true colors will show through.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Al Skinner is too much of a chicken shirt pussie wimp to do a basketball beanpot.

blackout hit the nail on the head - UCH will suddenly want to play NU (as will Harvard and Silber State) once JJB gets his diploma.

NU beat UCH in 02-03 and the Iggles didn't make the NCAA's that year, and their losses to NU and Holy Cross were the main reasons why.

DeFilippo would love to play the game, apparently, but Chicken Skinner wants no part of it.

A hoops beanpot the week after thanksgiving would be great - play it in two nights, heck, if UCH is THAT concerned about losing home games, have the damn tournament played at the Conte Forum every year to give the Iggles two home games. I know NU will play UCH anywhere, anytime, anyhow.

Buffalo isn't a BAD team, but UCH should be playing more than that.

The basketball beanpot existed in the late 60s and early 1970s. I don't think it generated much enthusiasm because at the time NU was the equivalent of a D-II team (they played in what was called the "College Division" of the NCAA at the time which was akin to D-II hoops).

·
Registered
341 Posts
NUHF points something else out I'll clarify:

I actually dont mind DeFillipo. He's good at what he does. It's just mainly Skinner... and the student sections :)

·
Registered
341 Posts
ginzo said:
Rape Cover up...

I forgot about that one, good call. That's actually worse than what I was reffering to. It also reminds me to heckle some of my BC friends. (BC beat the Terps and NU on the same day, they gave it to me pretty good, I'll pocket that one for the next time I need a rebuttle)

It's actually funny, BC kids actually dont like Skinner and some are even embarrased.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Go ahead and ask about the real reason why Ryan Sidney left the team....

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Was he the guy who faked the break in at his apartment?

If what happened at UCH happened to NU or Silber State, the Globe would be ALL over this.

The Globe ran ONE story on UCH's hoops troubles, and it was at best apologetic.

Trust me guys, UCH just doesn't sweep things under the carpet for hoops players. About 10 years ago a large donor's son allegedly date raped the daughter of an Air Force colonel and it was swept under the carpet. Even the Globe ran a couple of articles slamming the school because coincidentially UCH got a bunch of money to build/renovate/rename a dorm for this donor.

I was dating a woman from UCH who had some incidents with a football player and they were swept under the rug as well.

That place is just a cesspool for athletes - it's obvious they don't fit in well with the student populace as a whole.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Just so those not in the know are clear. When I say Rape Coverup, I am speaking directly of the basketball team...

·
Registered
341 Posts
NUHF: Watson was the kid who faked the break in, and was never punished until after the the season (he was a senior). It's no real secret over there as to why anyone would want to break into his place. The only thing I'm curious about is, well, I'm surprised it hasnt happened again, unless more went down that no one knows about.

Watson was bad news, i knew of him before UCH because he played against a friend's AAU team. He had quite a rep in MA long before he went to UCH.

Ginzo probably knows more than me about what he's talking about, but I've heard enough to know what he's talking about, and I obviously got it from different sources. ALot of BC kids are embarrased and thankful it never really got out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts