Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Me lose brain? Uh oh!
5,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just saw this on yahoo sports but forgot to paste the link.

I like this signing...at the very least we'll see a whole new system that utilize short passes that work instead of worthless screens. Shea seems like an ideal choice to tutor Grossman. I just hope he taps into Rex's ability to throw deep as well.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Nice signing.

Bill Walsh's system is definitely one that favors quarterbacks, but probably even favors receivers more. I forget which paper was saying it but... the Walsh offense requires a lot of site adjustment (by the receivers) based on the type of defense that is being employed. NOw remember with me that Shoop didn't even put site adjustments into the gameplan until like the 7th or 8th game of this season! It wasn't until Kordell practically begged for it that the Bears allowed for receivers to break off whichever respective route they were running.

As well, like any pass happy offense it'll require lots of progressions by the QB, often having 3 options to pass to on any given play. This is encouraging b/c one bright spot about Grossman is that he showed the willingness to go through progressions in his few starts. This is something Kordell really doesn't do well and Jim Miller was quite horrible at as well.

The needs? Mobile pass blocking O-line, run/catch RB, likely 3-4 quality receivers. Booker, Terell, Gage and Wade return. 1 WR will likely get drafted this year. Our O-line plays well when healthy, but they haven't been for 2 seasons now. I'd love it if the Bears went after Clifton from GB whose a stud left OT, but he may command a 5M per salary... something I'm not sure the McCaskeys could or will swallow. We may take an OT in the draft. I believe Colombo is done (maybe even his career) and Gandy is solid but out of position as LT.

TEs also play a huge role and it'd be a luxury to have two pass catching ones out there. Clark has a good season and let's hope for the BEars adding another stud in rounds 1-3. If not there should be some available come camp time.

·
Me lose brain? Uh oh!
5,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interestingly, Kiper's latest mock draft has us taking RB Kevin Jones with the 14th pick. I can't say that's the best use of our first-rounder unless he is a can't-miss prospect, but with the system Shea will be installing, we probably do need a RB who can make catches out of the backfield and Thomas has never really done that, so maybe there is some legitimacy to us taking Jones there. Shea already said that he'd like to have a Faulk/Holmes type RB (who wouldn't?) for his offense.

The reason I'm somewhat underwhelmed by that pick is that DT is a much bigger need and on Kiper's draft, Vince Wilfork falls to 16. I saw him a couple times and I think he'll be awfully good. He's enormous and gets up the field big-time. We need an upgrade there desperately - more desperately than at RB.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ViciousFlogging</b>!
Interestingly, Kiper's latest mock draft has us taking RB Kevin Jones with the 14th pick. I can't say that's the best use of our first-rounder unless he is a can't-miss prospect, but with the system Shea will be installing, we probably do need a RB who can make catches out of the backfield and Thomas has never really done that, so maybe there is some legitimacy to us taking Jones there. Shea already said that he'd like to have a Faulk/Holmes type RB (who wouldn't?) for his offense.

The reason I'm somewhat underwhelmed by that pick is that DT is a much bigger need and on Kiper's draft, Vince Wilfork falls to 16. I saw him a couple times and I think he'll be awfully good. He's enormous and gets up the field big-time. We need an upgrade there desperately - more desperately than at RB.
I totally agree about Wilfork. As well, I have doubts about taking a back in the 1st round too. The Bears took Enis in '98 and were looking hard at Thomas Jones in 2000. In fact, I would venture to guess the Bears had Urlacher slip into their hands that year.. and if either Plaxico or Jones was still on the board, Urlacher wouldn't have been picked. JMO.

I will hope for a DT in the 1st or 2nd, Wilfork if his stock slips and Lavalais or Edwards in the 2nd. Corner is another position that the Bears should address. We shall see.

·
Me lose brain? Uh oh!
5,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Angelo's draft record is pretty solid, pending Haynes and Grossman making progress next season, so unless we draft a MLB or a kicker at #14, I'll be open-minded about the pick. My preference is definitely Wilfork if he falls to us, though. I suspect he might get snatched up - I think he has star potential.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts