Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
It was nasty looking. A leg is not meant to bend that way.

What an amazing play to close out the half though. 108 yard return on a missed FG!!!! That's a record!!

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
FG's hooking like boomerangs and a 108 TD return on a missed FG?

Craaaaaaaazy stuff, man.

Hope Benson is ok.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
That was ugly when Benson went down. That made me cringe.
That kick return though, holy ****. That was awesome.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
kukoc4ever said:
It was nasty looking. A leg is not meant to bend that way.

What an amazing play to close out the half though. 108 yard return on a missed FG!!!! That's a record!!
I'm at work and can't watch the game. What happened exactly? I'm no rules guru on football, but I didn't know you can return a missed FG. I thought it would've had to be blocked for a return. And Yahoo has me further confused...apparently the score is 6-1.

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JRose5 said:
That was ugly when Benson went down. That made me cringe.
That kick return though, holy ****. That was awesome.
Let's just hope Benson didn't tear his ACL. Most players come back OK from that injury, but some like Enis are never the same. Few remember that Enis was decent if not spectacular in his rookie season for the Bears.

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
yodurk said:
I'm at work and can't watch the game. What happened exactly? I'm no rules guru on football, but I didn't know you can return a missed FG. I thought it would've had to be blocked for a return. And Yahoo has me further confused...apparently the score is 6-1.

LOL. Yah, that yahoo score is funny.

I'm no rules guru either... but the SF kicker Nedney booted a FG attempt... it hooked... Nathan Vasher of the Bears caught it on the fly I believe 8 yards deep into the end zone and ran it all the way back... multiple blocks along the way... it was a crazy play.

·
Train Em While Young.....
3,628 Posts
yodurk said:
You are allowed to return a FG if the kick is short and doesn't go through the uprights. The kick was short and Vasher caught it, returned it 108 yards for a TD.

Thats why when teams attempt long kicks over 60 yards, the opposing team sends someone back there to return it incase its short. I remember something like this happened to the Ravens a couple years back. I think Chris McCallister returned it for a TD.

and yeah Benson being out hurts. Thats our 1st and 2nd round draft picks gone....horrible horrible luck. Benson was looking like a great player too. You never like seeing knee injuries with RBs. Hopefully Benson's career doesn't go towards the Curtis Enis route after he injured his leg.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Having seen the play, I'd be shocked if Benson didn't tear ligaments.

On the plus side, Adrian Peterson looked good. Don't think we'll be seeing Ced again this year though.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Darius Miles Davis said:
Any word out of Chicago as to the severity of Benson's injury?
Benson said he doesn't think it's serious but it's probably just a guess on his part. He'll have an MRI tomorrow and we'll know for sure.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
jbulls said:
I didn't see the play, but it sounds like he's extremely lucky. I've seen plays before where it doesn't look bad initially, but then they find there's actually a tear. In this case, it's quite the opposite. The good news is that we'll have him back for the playoffs (assuming we win the division), but the bad news is that he probably won't do much good by that point. He'll be underconditioned and we'll be relying on Jones and Peterson for the grunt work.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
kamego said:
Lucky as hell.
I really have no idea how this stuff works, but maybe the durability tag is well deserved. At very least he must be extremely flexible. It's great news, Benson looked very good against SF.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
jbulls said:
I really have no idea how this stuff works, but maybe the durability tag is well deserved. At very least he must be extremely flexible. It's great news, Benson looked very good against SF.
I would say this is much more knee flexibility then anything. His tendons in his knee are very good I would say.

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is great news. He may not be able to contribute that much more this year, but I don't think anyone's career has ever been compromised by a strained knee ligament. Tears are sometimes a different story.

I'm also happy that Cedric pretty much proved he's a player before he got injured. I'll anxiously await his return. For now, it seems like Peterson and Jones are more than able to hold up the fort. However, we have one of our toughest games of the year next week against Carolina.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts