Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last prediction before the games begin.

Since all three of the Bulls draftees are from the ACC, any predictions on how the careers of this years league-wide ACC draftees will play out?

Will it produce the best ACC player ever?

Will it be the best ACC draft class ever?

http://www.accsports.com/exclusive_updates/xxv/NBAxxv19.jsp

Also some nice comments from the article on Baxter...

A handful of others who played in the ACC last season likely will find their way to an NBA summer league team, either by being drafted in the second round or via free agency. Maryland center Lonny Baxter, who was consistently overpowering at the NBA’s pre-draft camp in Chicago, and Wake Forest forward Darius Songaila are the most likely to be drafted...

Baxter and Mouton represented the Terrapins in Chicago, and Baxter quickly stood out as one of the event’s dominant prospects. After four seasons as an undersized center, his challenge is to show he can play power forward. He also must display the quickness he’ll need to defend more mobile opponents.

"People like his size and what he has accomplished," one scout said. "He is a second-rounder worth taking a shot on. His job is to make himself into Malik Rose, who is highly productive in the league. I don’t think (Rose) has Lonny’s ability, but he has crafted a role to let him be an effective (NBA) player."

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Will it produce the best ACC player ever?

No. Ever heard of Michael Jordan? JWill and Dunleavy should both be good ones, but they won't fill MJ's shoes.

Will it be the best ACC draft class ever?

Unlikely. IMO, the only major impact ACC guys are JWill and Dunleavy, with Dixon, Mason, Boozer and Wilcox all solid NBA contributors, but nothing special.

The 1984 draft included MJ and Perkins. The 1999 draft included Brand, Maggette and Francis. The 1998 draft had Carter and Jamison. The 1995 draft had Stack, Rasheed, Joe Smith. Lots of drafts have had some marquee talents that likely will stack up very well to 2002, though I suppose if all the talent pans out 2002 might be the deepest ACC draft in history.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ChiBullsFan</b>!

Unlikely. IMO, the only major impact ACC guys are JWill and Dunleavy, with Dixon, Mason, Boozer and Wilcox all solid NBA contributors, but nothing special.
I disagree on your take on Wilcox. I really think he has the potential to make the biggest impact of any of the ACC drafted players this year. He's just so big while maintaining great quickness. The problem is that he also has the most question marks about living up to his potential. Will he go the way of Joe Smith? or will he live up to the hype and become a superstar? If he can develop polish to his game and maintain a good work ethic he'll be a very special player.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts