Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys know I am a huge Duke homer. But I really think the NBA potential of some of Dukes guys is better than most think. What about you guys? Who has best potential to be something good in NBA?

Daniel Ewing

At Best - Juan Dixon
At Worst - William Avery

JJ Redick

At Best - Jeff Hornacek
At Worst - Bryce Drew

Shelden Williams

At Best - Ben Wallace
At Worst - Brian Skinner

Shavlik Randolph

At Best - Andrew DeClerq
At Worst - Michael Doleac


On a side note if you think Duke is good this year wait until next- everyone back but Ewing plus 5 recruits, 6'2 PG Greg Paulus, 6'5 SG Martynas Pocius, 6'7 SF Jamal Boykin, 6'11 PF Josh McRoberts, 6'10 C Eric Boateng


Dockery,Paulus
Redick,Nelson,Pocius
Melchionni,McClure,Boykin
Randolph,McRoberts
Williams,Boateng

LOADED!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,516 Posts
Basghetti80 said:
You guys know I am a huge Duke homer. But I really think the NBA potential of some of Dukes guys is better than most think. What about you guys? Who has best potential to be something good in NBA?

Daniel Ewing

At Best - Juan Dixon
At Worst - William Avery
I'm thinking more Robert Pack.

JJ Redick

At Best - Jeff Hornacek
At Worst - Bryce Drew
I'm thinking more John Paxson

Shelden Williams

At Best - Ben Wallace
At Worst - Brian Skinner
I'm thinking more of Carlos Boozer

Shavlik Randolph

At Best - Andrew DeClerq
At Worst - Michael Doleac
I'm thinking more European League. At best, he can be what christian laetner was 3 years ago.


On a side note if you think Duke is good this year wait until next- everyone back but Ewing plus 5 recruits, 6'2 PG Greg Paulus, 6'5 SG Martynas Pocius, 6'7 SF Jamal Boykin, 6'11 PF Josh McRoberts, 6'10 C Eric Boateng


Dockery,Paulus
Redick,Nelson,Pocius
Melchionni,McClure,Boykin
Randolph,McRoberts
Williams,Boateng

LOADED!!!!
I agree with this.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,940 Posts
The Krakken said:
I'm thinking more Robert Pack.
I guess I could go with that. I can't really think of a very good Ewing comparison myself.



I'm thinking more John Paxson
I actually liked the Hornacek comparison. I think Redick is a little more explosive than Pax was.



I'm thinking more of Carlos Boozer
I have to disagree on that one. Boozer is infinitely more refined around the basket and has much better touch than Williams. Conversely, Williams is ten times the defender Boozer could ever hope to be. Although Boozer has become a very good rebounder in the NBA, Williams is a much better rebounder at Duke than Boozer was.

Possibly Horace Grant (he is capable of knocking down the mid-range jumper)?


I'm thinking more European League. At best, he can be what christian laetner was 3 years ago.
Absolutely European League caliber. Or maybe Australia, where Nick Horvath is currently dominating the NBL.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,338 Posts
I still have hope for Shavlik Randolph...I don't know why I think the kid is going to be decent (at worst DeClerq, at best Songalia).

I also think Horace Grant is a great comparison for Williams.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,940 Posts
BealeFarange said:
I still have hope for Shavlik Randolph...I don't know why I think the kid is going to be decent (at worst DeClerq, at best Songalia).

I also think Horace Grant is a great comparison for Williams.

You always have to wonder if Randolph would have been a different player without the nagging injuries he has endured. The kid has talent, he just can't put it together on a consistent basis at all. Maybe he does that next year. I hope he does.

I'm glad you approve of the Grant comparison. I am usually very hesitant to compare current players to former Bulls dynasty players in this forum.
 

·
Me lose brain? Uh oh!
Joined
·
5,702 Posts
I don't think any Duke players have star, or even surefire starter quality, but if any of them do, I've come around on Shelden Williams. He doesn't look pretty and he'll have to adjust to playing against taller guys in the NBA, but he's a great rebounder and a difference-maker on defense. He'll get some points on putbacks and hustle right away and might be able to add the 15-foot shot to his arsenal. I can't see him ever being a go-to player in the post, though. Then again, Boozer isn't really one either and he's still successful. Williams seems a little less skilled but more tenacious to me.

Redick looks like he'll strictly be a shooter in the NBA to me. I know he's worked on putting the ball on the floor this year, but I don't think he'll succeed at that in the NBA. That stroke and quick release should earn him a spot as a Kerr-type bench spark, though. If he was a little bigger and more athletic, I could see him playing sort of like Korver does, launching and hitting 3s with the slightest glimpse of daylight.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,940 Posts
ViciousFlogging said:
I don't think any Duke players have star, or even surefire starter quality, but if any of them do, I've come around on Shelden Williams. He doesn't look pretty and he'll have to adjust to playing against taller guys in the NBA, but he's a great rebounder and a difference-maker on defense. He'll get some points on putbacks and hustle right away and might be able to add the 15-foot shot to his arsenal. I can't see him ever being a go-to player in the post, though. Then again, Boozer isn't really one either and he's still successful. Williams seems a little less skilled but more tenacious to me.

Redick looks like he'll strictly be a shooter in the NBA to me. I know he's worked on putting the ball on the floor this year, but I don't think he'll succeed at that in the NBA. That stroke and quick release should earn him a spot as a Kerr-type bench spark, though. If he was a little bigger and more athletic, I could see him playing sort of like Korver does, launching and hitting 3s with the slightest glimpse of daylight.
I definitely think Redick can be an effective Korver-type player.

And I agree with your assessment of star/starter potential for the current Duke players.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,992 Posts
I think Redick is going to be an NBA stud 3 point shooter... Korver but with more of an overall game
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top