Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year Bing men's soccer was probably one of the first bubble teams out of the NCAA tournament. Now they're in a very similar situation, but with better out of conference wins. Word around here is that we don't think they're going to get a bid tomorrow. Any thoughts/guesses? For the record, I'm gunna go with a heartbreaking no ...

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I don't think there's any hope at all, despite a record of 3-0-1 against NCAA tourney auto-qualifiers (I believe that PK losses count as ties) and our only losses being by 1-0 scores (and 3 of them on the road).

The problem is that we really didn't play anyone of at-large quality -- Duquesne is the only team that we played that is even realistically on the bubble.

If we want to get bubble consideration in the future, we're going to have to play a couple of games against ACC or Big East competition. Otherwise we risk our NCAA hopes to PK competitions. I'm sure that the NCAA committee has no interest in giving an at-large bid to a team that is going to lose 5-0 in the first round. Since we haven't played the top teams in the country to show what we can or can't do, there's no way they'll take the risk and give Binghamton a bid.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
There are three facts that play in our favor that no one else has mentioned yet.

First, we did play a couple of Southern teams early on that typically are pretty good (Coastal Carolina and Furman) and came away with a win and a 2OT tie.

Second, the last time we went to the tourney, we won our first round game and played tough in our second round game, losing 1-0 to St. Louis, a perennial national power.

Third, several different AE programs were ranked in the Top 25 at one point or another this season, which suggests that the league may be a little more respected this year than it has been in years past.

That said, like everyone else, I think it's pretty unlikely that we'll get a bid. There were 4 games Bing should've pulled out that they didn't: those two OOC losses to Lehigh and Bucknell, and the two ties against Hartford and Albany toward the end of the season.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
BTW - Fairfield is in a similar position for an at-large.

The Stags were recently ranked in the national top 25 (as high as #20). They have wins @ NC State and vs. FDU (who was nationaly ranked at the time). They had a 12 game winning streak heading into their loss to Marist in the MAAC finals.

But they aren't too hopefull.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
I would suggest a 2 game trip to the West Coast for any AE team hoping to increase their at-large visibility. Some great teams out here!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
All that said, it would be great to have the AE represented.
Hope they make it.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Well, let's hope SBU can beat Yale. If the AE wins enough of these first round games, the rest of the country may realize that we've become a pretty good soccer conference

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Wow, talk abut bias on a selection committee........

7 teams from the Big East!
3 teams from the Ivy!
1 team from America East.

Sorry, but our #2 is better than the Big East #7 :curse:

Also, the West region only had 8 total bids (out of 48) despite playing some of the best men's soccer in the land! What a crock.......

The selection committee....

Florida International (Sun Belt)
Wisconsin (Big Ten)
Navy (Patriot)
Stanford (Pac-10)
Wake Forest (ACC)
Providence (Big East) - Providence got an at-large with a 6-3-9 record.....6 wins?
Penn (Ivy)
Coastal Carolina (Big South)
Bradley (MVC)

1 West Coast rep on a 9 person committee??? None from AE.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Here's another fact to get your blood boiling. Five AE teams beat at least one team in the NCAA tourney this year, Bing beat two, and Vermont and UNH both tied a second. So, it's not like the AE didn't have success against other top teams when they had the chance to play against them.

I agree with what someone said earlier, and that is that the AE has to become more aggressive in its scheduling practices. Until we start regularly playing (and beating) other top teams, the league just isn't going to get the respect it deserves. This year was certainly a good start in that regard. Hopefully, next season brings more of the same.

Oh, and SBU really needs to take care of business against Yale this Friday. If the league keeps winning it's opening round games, eventually, future selection committees will have to take notice.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
mainejeff said:
Wow, talk abut bias on a selection committee........

7 teams from the Big East!
3 teams from the Ivy!
1 team from America East.

Sorry, but our #2 is better than the Big East #7 :curse:
MJ, I agree that no way 7 BE teams should make it, but this year at least, the other East Coast mid-majors had more ranked teams than the AE.

National Top 25:
#8 ODU (CAA)
#20 Fairfiled (MAAC)
#25 Yale (Ivy)

New England Region:
#2 Fairfield (MAAC)
#3 Yale (Ivy)
#4 Dartmouth (Ivy)
#5 Brown (Ivy)
#6 CCSU (NEC)
#10 Sacred Heart (NEC)

New York Region:
#2 Hofstra (CAA)
#3 Bighamton (AE)
#5 Stony Brook (AE)
#7 Colgate (PL)
#8 Fordham (PL)
#9 Niagara (MAAC)
#10 Marist (MAAC)

Mid Atlantic Region:
#5 Lafayette (PL)
#6 Monmouth (NEC)
#7 Fairligh Dickenson (NEC)
#8 Penn (Ivy)
#9 Lehigh (PL)
#10 Rober Morris (NEC)

South Atlantic Region:
#2 ODU (CAA)
#5 JMU (CAA)
#6 Towson (CAA)
#7 UNC-Willimngton (CAA)
#9 UMBC (CAA)

The CAA, MAAC and Ivy have a national ranked team. The NEC previously had FDU ranked as high as #7 in the country this season after wins over BC, Villanova, Wisconsin, and Yale (they failed to make the NEC tourney).

Regionaly ranked MScoccer teams by Conerence:
CAA - 6 (1 Nationally Ranked)
NEC - 5
Ivy - 4 (1 Nationally Ranked)
PL - 4
MAAC - 3 (1 Nationally Ranked)
AE - 2

(I did not include the BE or A-10)

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
As much as I'd love to see them there, I still don't think we earned an at-large bid.

Yes, Binghamton did defeat 3 NCAA teams, but all earned their bid through automatic qualifiers. None of them were at-large. Coastal Carolina was the #3 seed in the Big South tourney and earned their way in only by beating the #6, #7, and #5 seeds in their conference tourney (who had a combined record of 21-31-5). #1 and #2 were upset by other teams (and didn't get at large bids). Hartwick only got in because they were the champs of the pathetic Atlantic Soccer Conference. The ASC is the soccer equivalent of the SWAC in basketball.

By most accounts, Providence was one of the last (if not the last) teams in. Comparing common opponents for Providence and Binghamton, there is only one. Providence beat Maine 4-0. Binghamton beat Maine 1-0. Providence's losses were to Notre Dame, UConn and West Virginia -- all NCAA at-large quality teams.

Finally, for those mentioning the Big East's 7 bids, it's worth remembering that this is the new 16 team Big East behemoth (and yes, all 16 play soccer).

At the end of the day, it comes down to this. Beat UNH back in October, and Binghamton is fighting it out on the bubble. Having lost to UNH, it wasn't even close.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Aceinthehole said:
MJ, I agree that no way 7 BE teams should make it, but this year at least, the other East Coast mid-majors had more ranked teams than the AE.

National Top 25:
#8 ODU (CAA)
#20 Fairfiled (MAAC)
#25 Yale (Ivy)

New England Region:
#2 Fairfield (MAAC)
#3 Yale (Ivy)
#4 Dartmouth (Ivy)
#5 Brown (Ivy)
#6 CCSU (NEC)
#10 Sacred Heart (NEC)

New York Region:
#2 Hofstra (CAA)
#3 Bighamton (AE)
#5 Stony Brook (AE)
#7 Colgate (PL)
#8 Fordham (PL)
#9 Niagara (MAAC)
#10 Marist (MAAC)

Mid Atlantic Region:
#5 Lafayette (PL)
#6 Monmouth (NEC)
#7 Fairligh Dickenson (NEC)
#8 Penn (Ivy)
#9 Lehigh (PL)
#10 Rober Morris (NEC)

South Atlantic Region:
#2 ODU (CAA)
#5 JMU (CAA)
#6 Towson (CAA)
#7 UNC-Willimngton (CAA)
#9 UMBC (CAA)

The CAA, MAAC and Ivy have a national ranked team. The NEC previously had FDU ranked as high as #7 in the country this season after wins over BC, Villanova, Wisconsin, and Yale (they failed to make the NEC tourney).

Regionaly ranked MScoccer teams by Conerence:
CAA - 6 (1 Nationally Ranked)
NEC - 5
Ivy - 4 (1 Nationally Ranked)
PL - 4
MAAC - 3 (1 Nationally Ranked)
AE - 2

(I did not include the BE or A-10)
Ace:

I think you either based your breakdown on an earlier set of nscaa regional rankings (the final season rankings came out today) or missed a few things along the way. UMBC is in the AE, and Vermont and UNH were both regionally ranked, giving the AE 5 regionally ranked teams this year, not two.

Also, it's worth noting that Vermont was ranked ahead of Providence in the New England region. Despite this fact, Providence somehow gets the nod over Vermont.

Lastly, -- at one point during the season, Bing, Vermont and UNH were all ranked in the Top 25 this season, and while I'm not sure why, Vermont received votes in the final national poll of the season.

That, to me, makes the AE the second strongest conference in the East behind the CAA. Couple that with the success the AE teams had against other tourney teams (albeit teams that nabbed automatic bids), and it seems to me that the AE should've gotten a second team through before the Big East got its sixth or seventh. That and a dollar, and you can buy yourself a cheap cup of coffee. ; )

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
UB,
Yep, they were based on the 11/8 NSCAA rankings, so if you have updated rankings - then I'm sure you're probably right. And obviously UMBC was a mistake - oops!

Again, I generally agree with you all. The BE gets way too much credit and doesn't deserve the all the teams they got. Yes, Fairfield, Vermont and CCSU were all ranked ahead of PC in the NE region!

Overall I think the other conferences (MAAC, Ivy, NEC, PL) are very strong and to the AE credit, but MSoccer isn't their strength. I'd argue the Ivy (Yale, Dartmouth, Brown), NEC, MAAC, and PL are possiblly stronger, but that's a fair debate, no harm.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts