Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now i know i am probably younger than most of the people on this board, but BU hockey is living the dream of every kid in the entire country. Does it get any better than winning a national championship, kegs in agganis locker room, group sex, naked skating and sex in the penalty box?

In all seriousness women getting assaulted is not ok. Boston U should be ashamed. I find it hard to believe the administration didnt know about the parties and the environment. Apparently "that is what BU hockey players do." Wasnt it last year that they threw one of their best players off the team becasue he was out of control? Low SAT scores doesnt look great either. It sounds like Binghamton without Pete Thamel and the drug distribution, even though i wouldnt doubt there was heavy drug use at these parties.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/2012/09/06/salacious-details-emerge-from-hockey-subcommittee-reports/ekiKZxGXpGgFfPQ4gzNQ9O/story.html?p1=Well_MostPop_Emailed2

·
Registered
257 Posts
Quite the situation.....for real insight go read the BU post on USCHO, most fans are defending the coaches and administration ala Penn State fans. To top it off, the administration responded by stripping Jackie of a useless title, that could come back to haunt them.

One item that has been overlooked so far is the fact that BU hockey players got drinks for free at a bar, and everyone seemed to know about it......

And to think, BU thought they were better than the AE....don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

·
Premium Member
33,198 Posts
Hockey culture is weird. 20-21 year old kids show up as "freshmen" on college campuses after having played pro hockey. Incredibly entitled. Don't really interact with rest of the school. Hard-core drinking. Unfortunately not surprised by anything I've seen with BU.

Never been a fan.

·
6,096 Posts
Just remember, kids, the next time you commit a hooking penalty at the Agganis, you're sitting in three-year old stank for the next two minutes.

·
6,096 Posts
Hockey culture is weird. 20-21 year old kids show up as "freshmen" on college campuses after having played pro hockey. Incredibly entitled. Don't really interact with rest of the school. Hard-core drinking. Unfortunately not surprised by anything I've seen with BU.

Never been a fan.
That's the weird thing about hockey at any level below professional. Hockey players play for a new team almost every season, often living with billet families with every new city, and going to a new school every year. For the best players, they've been doing this since as young as 10. Not interacting with the rest of the school is the norm for them.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Quite the situation.....for real insight go read the BU post on USCHO, most fans are defending the coaches and administration ala Penn State fans. To top it off, the administration responded by stripping Jackie of a useless title, that could come back to haunt them.

One item that has been overlooked so far is the fact that BU hockey players got drinks for free at a bar, and everyone seemed to know about it......

And to think, BU thought they were better than the AE....don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.
I'm sure Maine's players are choir boys.

·
Registered
121 Posts

Never been a fan.
The hockey they play before college is not professional by any means (they certainly are not getting any monetary compensation). But what happened at BU is far from an anomaly, as others have said, I've heard lots of stories at other D-I schools.

And just to be devil's advocate, the two cases that led to this whole investigation, I have to really question if there was sexual assault (one case got dismissed because the accuser didn't show up in court, the other, based on the police report, it seemed very questionable to actually call it sexual assault). But one thing that is clear, especially on the case with Trivino, was the disturbing behavior and arrogance of some of the players.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm sure Maine's players are choir boys.
Invalid argument, I though BU students / alum were intellectually superior....

Most college students aren't choir boys, but by all means let me know Maine coaches and senior administration allow for a culture where:
underage drinking in public / in the freaking locker rooms;
rape;
orgies in the hockey arena; &
hockey players disrupting professors with no reprimand

Going further, let me know when the head Coach of said hockey team blatantly lies to administrators and investigators ala Jackie. To top it off, let me know then the penalties imposed by senior administration start and stop at stripping the head coach of a useless title...by all means go ahead.

Since 2000 BU has placed the least amount of players on the HE All-Academic team...

I wonder if the Patriot League even wants BU anymore.

and PS, Whitehead may have shattered our on ice product but he runs as clean a program as any in HE which is ten times more than BU can say given this crap.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
"The subcommittee findings also note that some BU hockey players have SAT scores “far below the vast majority of their classmates,” and that recently an increasing percentage have enrolled in the school’s continuing-education program instead of its traditional undergraduate colleges. The university recently banned that practice."

Wait, I thought BU was superior academically to UNH and the rest of the AE??

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Invalid argument, I though BU students / alum were intellectually superior....

Most college students aren't choir boys, but by all means let me know Maine coaches and senior administration allow for a culture where:
underage drinking in public / in the freaking locker rooms;
rape;
orgies in the hockey arena; &
hockey players disrupting professors with no reprimand

Going further, let me know when the head Coach of said hockey team blatantly lies to administrators and investigators ala Jackie. To top it off, let me know then the penalties imposed by senior administration start and stop at stripping the head coach of a useless title...by all means go ahead.

Since 2000 BU has placed the least amount of players on the HE All-Academic team...

I wonder if the Patriot League even wants BU anymore.

and PS, Whitehead may have shattered our on ice product but he runs as clean a program as any in HE which is ten times more than BU can say given this crap.

BU is a better school overall than Maine. I'm not saying everyone is intellectually superior. Plenty of dummies at every school.

As far as the SATs, that's another useless "insight." It's true of every HE team and AE basketball team.

I don't think any coaches "allow" for a culture of rape. Several idiots got drunk and did very stupid things and were kicked off the team. And Parker and the admin probably need to do more to control the kids more. Looks like they are doing that.

The kids got drunk and partied at Agganis without the immediate knowledge of the coach.. What would they have done if Maine won the national championship? I don't see that as a huge issue.

To compare it to Penn State is just low though. And to assume Maine is completely different is also wrong. We don't know if the Maine hockey players have lower SATs, have sex with alot of women and get drunk after big wins. If they do, does that suddenly mean the program isn't clean?

This was about looking into students who were accused of sexual assault, a crime. It's horrible and that's the point of the investigation. To see if we can do more to stop it. It could have been a few bad apples, but we'll see.

The rest of the stuff is nonsense. And is pretty much true, albeit at different magnitudes at different schools, for every HE school. Such b*llshit to assume Maine hockey players (the same exact type of kids BU recruits) are SO different.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The kids got drunk and partied at Agganis without the immediate knowledge of the coach.. What would they have done if Maine won the national championship? I don't see that as a huge issue.

To compare it to Penn State is just low though. And to assume Maine is completely different is also wrong. We don't know if the Maine hockey players have lower SATs, have sex with alot of women and get drunk after big wins. If they do, does that suddenly mean the program isn't clean?

The rest of the stuff is nonsense. And is pretty much true, albeit at different magnitudes at different schools, for every HE school. Such b*llshit to assume Maine hockey players (the same exact type of kids BU recruits) are SO different.
Maine hockey players, and the rest of HE to boot, ARE different because the coaches and administration don't let that shit happen. Thats the point. If something like this ever came to light we would expect Whitehead to be fired and administration to respond accordingly, basically the opposite of what the BU administration has done.

Outside of the alleged sexual assault (which many BU females are claiming is the norm type of action of BU hockey players) the actions of the hockey players aren't any different than other athletes and regular students (underage drinking, promiscuity etc.) That ISN'T the issue, and most people capable of even limited critical thinking and who aren't hindered by biases will see that.

We wonder how events like what happened at Penn St. and to a lesser extent BU (because obviously Penn St. is a more extreme scenario) can take place...well its obvious when fans of the institution make excuses. Disgusting.

I'm not wasting any more of my time refuting your obviously biased and incorrect defenses.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
So you're advocating for Parker to be fired? What else would you have BU do since you have all the answers?

The sexual assaults were not covered up and the students were kicked off the team. The school is trying to find ways to prevent it from happening short of firing the coach. I don't have a strong opinion one or the other on it to be honest and I don't think I'm that biased. If they fired Parker that would be fine with me, but I also don't think what happened should be automatic cause either. I don't really have all the information and neither do you.

What I object to is the ridiculous shock and awe on the peripheral stuff about drinking and trying to have sex with a lot of women. And the moral outrage of fans who thinks their schools and students are so different. So long as you're willing to acknowledge most behavior documented is true (admittedly to different degrees) at every HE school, we generally agree.

And don't dare compare me to a Penn State fan. Criminal acts are reprehensible and I don't condone them or their cover up.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'll say it again, this type of behavior is pretty common in the college hockey world, pretty much every school has it's share of players with questionable behavior off the ice. I would hesitate to say any school is completely clean.

The main difference with BU, and really the reason why this investigation happened, is that two guys actually got charged within the same season (with little proof that sexual assault actually happened, but that is beside the point).

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Certainly gives new meaning to, "two minutes in the box."
i only last about 1:30 when i am in the box...

This is real bad guys. it seriously reminds me of binghamton. we all saw what happened to their program. i wouldnt go as far as to compare it to penn state.

1.admitting kids with questionable behavior
2.admitting kids who are not academically qualified
3.kids basically being given grades
4. kids getting arrested
5. drinking and havign sex in the arena(please dont pretend no one knew, someone had to have known)
6. coach responding to charges in the most arrogant ways possible i.e. "it isnt my job to make sure kids are celebit"
7. holding wins and losses above all else including safety of college students. the one case was dropped but the one kid plead down to assault and battery.

i really feel bad for the parents of the girls who are having group sex with the players. raise your daughter right, get good grades, stay out of trouble, pay the 40,000 a year to go to a great instittuiton and how do they repay you? banging 4 hockey players in the penalty box so everytime you go to see her at school everyone can laugh behind your back. no respect.

·
Registered
14,160 Posts
This is bad...real bad...but to call it Penn St. is ridiculous on so many levels. That being said...Fire the head coach and everyone under him...despicable!

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
ofcourse is not close to Penn St. One case actually involves student-athletes which the NCAA is allowed to take action on, the other case was a terrible crime committed through many years but not involving athletes or the NCAA...

·
Premium Member
33,198 Posts
If it were UVM and this happened to Sneddon he would be fired- mostly because of his recent losing- but because we're the same school that canceled its season because of hazing- which given the frequency and magnitude of scandals today might now even show up on ESPN.

Anyways, I doubt Parker gets fired because it's Parker, but BU obviously needs to take a harder line and put in more controls. As far as free drinks go, every college bar everywhere since the beginning of time gives out free drinks to certain people- sometimes it's females, sometimes its the bartenders buddies, sometimes its athletes- not ever going to stop that. But make a team rule that nobody is allowed in Ts and if someone catches you in there you get suspended. Not hard.

One thing Sneddon has done is he hasn't been afraid to kick a kid off the team if they weren't doing what they were supposed to, even if it means less wins. This is something BU will probably need to start doing now as well. You identify the bad apples and you remove them before they do something stupid.

Also, not to defend BU in anyway, but here's what BC did to celebrate their championship- wrap their car around a train- which is not an easy thing to do.

Hate to say the behavior is a hockey thing- but unless you're not living in reality, it's a hockey thing:

http://deadspin.com/5524794/bc-hockey-players-somehow-manage-to-crash-a-trolley

1 - 20 of 22 Posts