Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OT: "Both Teams Played Hard"??

I just saw a replay of Shaq's courtside post-game comments from today's Lakers/Raptors game.

Geez, kinda makes Rasheed's "both teams played hard" schpeel rather pale in comparison, now, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

There's no place for this.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Re: OT: "Both Teams Played Hard"??

Originally posted by <b>ABM</b>!
I just saw a replay of Shaq's courtside post-game comments from today's Lakers/Raptors game.

Geez, kinda makes Rasheed's "both teams played hard" schpeel rather pale in comparison, now, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

There's no place for this.
Sheed's is still far worse IMO.

Shaq was just speaking his mind (albeit in a poor way.) Sheed was mocking the league, team and me, a fan.

·
Grumpy Pragmatist
3,410 Posts
Re: Re: OT: "Both Teams Played Hard"??

Originally posted by <b>trifecta</b>!

Sheed's is still far worse IMO.

Shaq was just speaking his mind (albeit in a poor way.) Sheed was mocking the league, team and me, a fan.
No, he was mocking the media. Frankly, who cares?

Media vultures :cannibal: :rocket:

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Shaq should be fined for saying the refs don't know the game, and can't do their job. He should be fined also for basically calling out Stern. Period.

No need to compare to anything. This incident deserves it's own punishment. A fine would suffice.

·
Registered
67 Posts
he should be fined as much as mav's owner mark cuban was a few years back for blasting the officials. at least that way it will stay consistant that saying crap about officials will not be tolerated. anything else will just seem too light of a punishment.

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
I can recall at least two other post game press conferences from past years where Shaq has been on the same nasty rant calling out the officials and Stern with vulgarities a-plenty. While his views don't offend me in the least, I think it's ironic that he states that the "league is losing money" because of officiating like this. IMO, it's because he's such a lunk of a letdown as the games biggest star post Jordan. His game is brutish, his demenor is often insulting towards his opponents, and his off court quotes let you know in a hurry you're listening to a moron. I find it easy to see why America has never embraced him nearly to the extent that they did Jordan.

"Shaq, you know we're live," TV guy after a Shaq F bomb.

"I don't give a bleep," Shaq

Get ready for the media to defend their meal ticket as having a point, and that he was just a little heated up. Imagine what their response would be if the same statements were made by any Trailblazer...

STOMP

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Man, Shaq is such a doofus. First, the refs don't let the players play, then the refs aren't calling all the fouls. Well which one is it?

I'm not one to defend the NBA officials who seem to be involved in some shady business at times, but a member of the Lakers is the last person I would expect to see complaining.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I just saw the Shaq's interview. Bad. That oughta get him a hefty fine.

I have to say this. I do think that NBA refs like to get in the show a little too much for my liking. I don't like the fact that they interact with the players in a jokingly manner and such. I would want them to just give a quick explanation to any of the complains a player might have and move on. Don't joke, don't talk back, and worse of all, don't curse back at the players. If a player curse at them or call them demeaning names, T them up or even eject them. I just want them to shut their mouth and do their job.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Originally posted by <b>STOMP</b>!
I can recall at least two other post game press conferences from past years where Shaq has been on the same nasty rant calling out the officials and Stern with vulgarities a-plenty. While his views don't offend me in the least, I think it's ironic that he states that the "league is losing money" because of officiating like this. IMO, it's because he's such a lunk of a letdown as the games biggest star post Jordan. His game is brutish, his demenor is often insulting towards his opponents, and his off court quotes let you know in a hurry you're listening to a moron. I find it easy to see why America has never embraced him nearly to the extent that they did Jordan.

"Shaq, you know we're live," TV guy after a Shaq F bomb.

"I don't give a bleep," Shaq

Get ready for the media to defend their meal ticket as having a point, and that he was just a little heated up. Imagine what their response would be if the same statements were made by any Trailblazer...

STOMP
I frequently read your martyr takes on the Blazers, but have never seen you explain why it exists. Did the media visit the city of Portland one daynot enjoy themselves and as a result collectively decide to forever bash Blazer players? What is your theory?

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by <b>Jemel Irief</b>!

I frequently read your martyr takes on the Blazers, but have never seen you explain why it exists.
I believe it's pretty well documented that the Blazers have been the poster children for bad behaviour over the past few years.

As such, it's pretty easy to get a defensive attitude when other, so-called or (yes, biasly) determined, bad behavior seems to go unchallenged or is even justified. (not that it is here, BTW.)

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Jemel Irief</b>!
I frequently read your martyr takes on the Blazers, but have never seen you explain why it exists. Did the media visit the city of Portland one daynot enjoy themselves and as a result collectively decide to forever bash Blazer players? What is your theory?
It can't be all that frequent as I've kept that rant under wraps for quite a while now. It always seems that you are right there to prod me on when I do roll it out :rolleyes: My theory is that to have good guys you've got to have bad guys. LA's huge fanbase tuning in is where the league (and media) makes their money. If the Lakers are the team that they are promoting as the good guys, Podunk Portland which has regularly been an on-court rival but carries tiny ratings with it, is a logical team to contrast/smear in the hype. They wear black, their team name rhymes with jail, Smokey the Mouse plays for them, Rasheed ('nuff said) ... but their actual behavior is pretty average by NBA standards. Last year Portland finished in the middle of the pack Tech wise, this year they are behind that pace. Heres the current list...

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/stats/teamsort/regularseason/yearly/NBA/MISC?&_1:col_1=10

In the last year Portland's players off court legal troubles consist of what? Damon getting busted for pot in an airport (he's an idiot IMO, but at least he went to rehab), both Zach and Q being sited for driving intoxicated (bad stuff indeed, though to be fair Zach has pled innocent), and... Rasheed getting a moving violation for swerving outside his lane. How does that stack up to LA legal troubles? The annoited good guys also treat us to the league's biggest star promising to be back to starting fights with other players, to physically go after NBA fans who heckle his teammate accused of a heinous felony (he promised to knock them out), and submitting to interviews so he can spew profanities on live TV and tell the media he doesn't give a bleep. It seems reasonable to question just who exactly is the bad guys.

Here is Ruben Patterson addressing the inequalities he percieves Portland players have going against them after recieving a Tech for staring at an official he wanted to talk to after a call went against him the other night...

"Sometimes you get mad about officials," Patterson said. "If they call technical fouls on one end of the court and not the other, then you've got a right to be mad. And when we say something, we get technicals quick. I don't think that's fair. Everybody looks at us as being bad guys. You've got a lot of guys around this league who say the same thing and nothing happens. But, you know, we don't let it get us down."

Thats the 3rd Tech this year (that I'm aware of) that Portland players have recieved for staring... has anyone here ever seen a player from another team recieve one for that?

I wish I didn't percieve things this way... hope that clears up my views for you.

STOMP

*edited late for spelling

1 - 20 of 34 Posts