Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only one who heard that Jim Paxson has been canned in Cleveland? He did make some pretty bad moves these last couple of years.

Oh yeah, heard it on espn. No link yet.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Vecsey called this.

Said the new ownership spent from office time with several different franchises, and then was highly disappointed when he took over and looked upon what he had.

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
looks like he's toast.

With a new owner in place, Cleveland's spring cleaning began with the firing of Paul Silas as coach last month, and its general manager appears to be not far behind.

Sources have told ESPN's Stephen A. Smith on Tuesday that Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert will fire general manager Jim Paxson within the next 48 hours.

The team released a statement from Gilbert after the game addressing the report: "I don't think it makes sense for us to comment on the truth or the inaccuracy of rumors related to key positions in our organization"

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2030769

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
can't say i am surprised given the unprofessional nature of things in cleve.

jimmy pax laid the faults of the franchise at silas' feet so silas got the can , dan gilbert also takes the players out to dinner and stuff and severely undermines pax and silas along the way , I'm sure the players who mostly seemed to like silas gave a different account and away goes paxson.

a franchise cant exist like that , the inmates will run the asylum in no time because gilbert wants to be one of the guys.

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
i'm still wondering what happened to silas -- the timing of the firing was so strange. there is a story behind the shakedown that hasn't come to light yet .. .

as far as jim paxson getting fired, can't really say i'm surprised. if my memory serves, this is about the time in the season that krause got the axe. papa reinsdorf said that it was the appropriate time to make a move because he needed to give his new gm time to prep for the draft, and make personel evaluations before the off-season. the new gm has to be ready to hit the ground running once the annual coaching carousel kicks into gear.

·
Skokie, IL 60076
17,170 Posts
such sweet thunder said:
i'm still wondering what happened to silas -- the timing of the firing was so strange. there is a story behind the shakedown that hasn't come to light yet .. .

as far as jim paxson getting fired, can't really say i'm surprised. if my memory serves, this is about the time in the season that krause got the axe. papa reinsdorf said that it was the appropriate time to make a move because he needed to give his new gm time to prep for the draft, and make personel evaluations before the off-season. the new gm has to be ready to hit the ground running once the annual coaching carousel kicks into gear.
The new owner wanted Silas out when he got there.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Conflict of interest removed. Bulls need to get 'Bron to the big market so he can get more endorsement deals (and give us the big guard we need). :biggrin:

K4E, do we need a poll or can we just agree to trade...

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Mr. T said:
Conflict of interest removed. Bulls need to get 'Bron to the big market so he can get more endorsement deals (and give us the big guard we need). :biggrin:

I propose we offer Cleveland AD, Pike, Pargo, Reiner, and Griffin for Lebron. They may need to throw in Gooden to make salaries match. :clown:

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Jim Paxson must be one of the worst GM in NBA history. His bad moves are legend. Just too name a few. Let bozer just walk last year. Drafted Diop and Wagner in the same year and i think they were like the 6th and the 8th overall picks. They both are awful. And not to rub it in but Luke Jackson, please.

Z was there when he got there and draft James was a no brainer.

Everything else he has done is bad.

david

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
giusd said:
Jim Paxson must be one of the worst GM in NBA history. His bad moves are legend. Just too name a few. Let bozer just walk last year. Drafted Diop and Wagner in the same year and i think they were like the 6th and the 8th overall picks. They both are awful. And not to rub it in but Luke Jackson, please.

Z was there when he got there and draft James was a no brainer.

Everything else he has done is bad.

david
The Gooden trade wasn't a bad one, but aside from, he's bombed.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Agreed i like drew but if he holds onto Bozer he does not have to trade for goodon or even better Drew comes off the bench. Last year Bozer and James looked like the foundation of the future. Letting Bozer go for nothing is the 2nd worst move by a GM i have even seen. The only worst was Keviin McHale promise to pay joe smith the max if he signs a one year contract.

Minn lost like 5 1st round draft picks and that is one reason they are not good young players. McHale should have been fired but that will clearly happen this summer.

david

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
If you look at his body of work, its surprising Jim lasted as long as he did.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
As Chicago Bulls fans, we should all take this as very bad news. Jim Paxson was one of our biggest allies. Our chances of longterm Eastern conference dominance just got a lot worse. If Cleveland gets a GM that actually knows how to acquire talent and build a team around Lebron, they should be pretty damn good for the next ten years.

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
spongyfungy said:
I think Greg Anthony is interviewing for the job. This was like 2 days ago. (all rumors though)
sam smith reported this rumor the other day. the other one going around is that tom izzo is going to leave michigan state to replace malone as the coach. he and gilbert go way back.

"paging phil jackson! phil jackson please pick up the courtesy phone in the lobby. paging phil jackson."

what is the over/under on the cavs missing out on the playoffs this year?

all this turmoil cannot be good.

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
Mr. T said:

Haha. Ok, I'll take him over Hughes.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
Does anyone else see some similarities in this situation with the Bulls from the early 80's? Rod Thorn drafts Michael Jordan, loses his job, coach Collins gets fired, in comes Krause and Phil. Now you have Jim Paxson drafting LeBron James, loses his job, coach Silas gets fired, in comes ? and ?...the MJ comparisons never end. :)

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
yodurk said:
Does anyone else see some similarities in this situation with the Bulls from the early 80's? Rod Thorn drafts Michael Jordan, loses his job, coach Collins gets fired, in comes Krause and Phil. Now you have Jim Paxson drafting LeBron James, loses his job, coach Silas gets fired, in comes ? and ?...the MJ comparisons never end. :)
And just like Pax with Bron, other than MJ Thorn's draft record with the Bulls was certainly less than spectacular.

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
yodurk said:
collins was hired by krause , he lost his job when he tried to turn reinsdorf against krause and failed, then of course krause fired him.

i would like to see who is hired to replace paxson though , I think greg anthony could do a good job , he is one of analysts that seems to really know what he's talking about instead of most who just say whats popular.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts