·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you feel about Bruce Campbell?

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
the scene where he's fight his own hand (while it's still attached to him) is one of the greatest pieces of slapstick comedy ever.

he's been in some really bad films over the years. I've seen him in a couple of Sci Fi channel movies, and he's inevitably bad. real bad. I puked my way through twenty minutes of "Tornado" and just about gave up hope.

it's always been interesting to me how successful Jim Carrey has been while Campbell never made it above B movies. Carrey has better range to do serious roles (ie Eternal Sunshine) but Campbell is much more interesting in slapstick.

incidentally if you looked carefully you can spot Campbell in a minor role in The Hudscucker Proxy.

·
Registered
675 Posts
theWanker said:
incidentally if you looked carefully you can spot Campbell in a minor role in The Hudscucker Proxy.
Don't forget his role in Spider Man! I swear, he singlehandedly made that movie a blockbuster with his part in it. :biggrin:

·
Registered
822 Posts
Bubba Hotep was genius. My favorite work by him. But even then. I can only take B.C. in doses.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Army of Darkness was the first movie I purchased on DVD that I already owned on VHS (also one of the only ones I've done that for). Nuff said.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
He actually surprised me with his cameo in Spider Man 2 - it was underplayed! My wife, a veteran of all 3 Evil Deads, Bubba Ho-Tep and even a couple of Brisco County Jr.s (which, Hap, was dumb - but Bruce was still good) didn't even know it was him. Boy, Sam Raimi looks after his buddies (even if he did torture Bruce while making The Trilogy).

Trivia: according to one of the Coen Brothers (who worked on the original ED, the one that's actually meant to be scary, and which, along with "Driller Killer" and "I Spit On Your Grave" was designated a "Video Nasty" in the 80s in England), Sam Raimi has long had a script for an un-made 4th Evil Dead (although the script may pre-date Army of Darkness) which is all just Ash having arguments with himself in the cabin. If anyone could make it work, it'd be Raimi (and Campbell).

Anyone read "If Chins Could Kill"?

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
stockfire said:
I can only take B.C. in doses.
If you mean MASSIVE doses, then we are in agreement.

Ed O.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
He was the announcer at the wrestling match in Spider-Man (no, it's 'The Human Spider!')

Best B horror/comedy actor ever. He never repeats a scream in the 3 Evil Dead movies. Seriously- watch them and compare all of his screams.

There were rumors about a Freddy vs Jason vs Ash movie, I for one am very glad that won't happen.

He does GREAT dvd commentary tracks! The 'as Elvis' one on Bubba H gets old after a while, but the ED commentary tracks are great.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Has anybody else ever spotted Bruce's appearance in Fargo? He's got a VERY minor role, but it's pretty interesting anyway.

Bubba Hotep was very good too, maybe his best work.

I like Bruce Campbell a lot, but I wish he'd get more work.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Backboard Cam said:
Best B horror/comedy actor ever. He never repeats a scream in the 3 Evil Dead movies. Seriously- watch them and compare all of his screams.
But isn't there something to be said for consistency? How else're you going to get a signature sound?

Is it in the Evil Dead commentary that Sam Raimi praises Campbell for being able to do different screams. Like "I told him to scream like a little girl here, and he did exactly that."

Personally I think his "smashing crockery over own head" skill shows a greater commitment to his craft.

(By the way, I'd say Griffin Dunne in American Werewolf in London gives a one-off performance that's up there. "Have you ever talked to a corpse?" And whoever plays the lead in BrainDead AKA Dead Alive... But Bruce gets the career achievement award for never rising above B-movies.)

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
Army of Darkness is one of the best movies most people have never seen. So many great one liners and funny moments....sheer brilliance.

Bruce Campbell is hilarious...

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Yes, Bruce Campbell is the ****. He has the eyebrows. He has the chin. And he has one liners. Pure Magic. I met Bruce one time down in Ashland Oregon (where he lives by the way) and he was just a really nice guy. He was just around town with his daughter in the park. Anyways, whoever mentioned Dead Alive knows what's up. That is probably the best b-movie I have ever seen and I have seen a lot...including all of the Ed Wood movies...haha. Rat Monkey from Sumatra? Beat that.
Prunetang

·
Registered
211 Posts
As a fan of the Evil Dead movies i think Bruce is great. I hope they finally get around to making a 4th one but with Raimi doing the 3rd Spiderman movie(& maybe a 4th?) it looks pretty unlikely. :cry:

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
I guess SCIFI is showing some of the movies tonite before the feature!

btw, the oregonian showed a picture from it, and implied part of it takes place in Portland? Anyone know if thats true?

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Take it for what it's worth, but fairly recent (in the last few months or so) IGN interviews with Sam Raimi seem to indicate that he's seriously considering a 4th ED movie after the 3rd Spidey movie.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
i went to Southern Oregon University in Ashland for a year, and he did alot of events where people got to meet him. I think he's one of the most underappreciated actors there is. I'm glad he's stayed true to his bad b movie roots.

But the rumors I hear are not only Raimi is making Evil Dead 4, but he is also REmaking the original Evil Dead (not involving Bruce Campbell). So I guess we'll see if anyone can remake a classic into being better, even if it's the original creators :D

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
TradeShareefNow said:
But the rumors I hear are not only Raimi is making Evil Dead 4, but he is also REmaking the original Evil Dead (not involving Bruce Campbell). So I guess we'll see if anyone can remake a classic into being better, even if it's the original creators
According to Deadites Online, Sam really wants to make ED 4 with Bruce Campbell (and many other "actors" from the series) and the remake (which will combine ED 1 and 2 - which is odd, because ED 2 is essentially a bigger budget remake of 1, minus the tree-rape scene, but with slapstick humor) will be done by someone else, although Bruce is quoted as saying that the original creators will be "pulling the strings".

I don't see the point of a re-make myself. If it's the first ED, it would be scary rather than silly (the silliness of the first one comes from the low budget rather than intent), and it just wouldn't have the originality. It's not like the plot is what made that movie.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
why, after the fiasco that was the re-make of the greatest horror movie of all time TCM1 would any one think that a re-make of ED1&2 would be a good idea? that's like trying to remake the greatest movie ever made TCM2! when will people learn that if it ain't broke don't fix it!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts