Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The recent first day to contact rising junior was this week. Bryant decided to offer 136 of them.

Quotes from Jared Grasso the head coach in there, which. Okay, I get the philosophy, but how are any of those kids supposed to feel wanted when they know he's just playing a numbers game with them? Personally, I don't see this working out for him, but hey if it does good for Bryant.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
The recent first day to contact rising junior was this week. Bryant decided to offer 136 of them.

Quotes from Jared Grasso the head coach in there, which. Okay, I get the philosophy, but how are any of those kids supposed to feel wanted when they know he's just playing a numbers game with them? Personally, I don't see this working out for him, but hey if it does good for Bryant.
That's really interesting. Curious to see the outcome.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Seams like a really obnoxious thing to do. I'm not sure if it will end poorly for Bryant, but nonetheless comes off as a dick move IMO to be using leverage in such a way given how early it is for 2022 recruiting. "Here's your offer, but if you don't accept it someone else will." It would be different if this came next fall for the 2021 cohort instead.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
The One thing Bryant really misses out on with this philosophy is showing the recruit that we really want you. I think that will be the biggest downfall with this strategy.

I do also see from Jeff Goodman’s transfer list that 4 players so far are transferring to Bryant.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
While I don't like or subscribe to this way of recruiting, he did say he only needed 1 or 2 kids in the Class of '21. So, he only needs a couple of them to accept. Shoot, he probably really only needs 1 to say yes because then I assume they could condense the list based on what position said yes and then just hammer the heck out of the remaining kids.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Grasso was previously an assistant coach at Iona and he recruited well while he was there. 136 offers does seem excessive, but I'm sure he has a good understanding of the recruiting game. And Grasso seems to be increasing the level of talent at Bryant. One of his incoming transfers is a former top-100 recruit. Maybe this gives the program more legitimacy and convinces one of the 136 offers to go to Bryant, instead of a traditionally higher ranked program.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Grasso was previously an assistant coach at Iona and he recruited well while he was there. 136 offers does seem excessive, but I'm sure he has a good understanding of the recruiting game. And Grasso seems to be increasing the level of talent at Bryant. One of his incoming transfers is a former top-100 recruit. Maybe this gives the program more legitimacy and convinces one of the 136 offers to go to Bryant, instead of a traditionally higher ranked program.
Grasso was fun to watch when he played at Quinnipiac. He also was an assistant for a few years at Hartford during the Harrison years.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts