Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CHICAGO (AP) -- The Chicago Bulls are close to reaching a contract settlement with Jay Williams, recuperating from a motorcycle accident that has jeopardized his career.

Bill Duffy, Williams' agent, said Thursday he expected the buyout to be finalized within the next few days.

``We're looking at the Ts getting crossed and the Is getting dotted,'' Duffy said. ``We're obviously extremely grateful to (Bulls chairman) Jerry Reinsdorf. He has done something that he is not obligated to do, which basically is to give Jay quite a handsome settlement.''

Link

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
We're obviously extremely grateful to (Bulls chairman) Jerry Reinsdorf. He has done something that he is not obligated to do
Why are they so grateful? Aren't they basically doing the Bulls a favor by accepting the settlement? I assume the contract is fully guaranteed for 3 years, and possibly the 4th as a player option (does that hold true on the IR?).

Unless Williams manages to come back and play again before his contract would have been up, the settlement is bigger for the Bulls than it is for him.

Dan

·
Registered
14,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The Bulls could have voided his contract due to the fact riding a motorcycle is strictly prohibited.

In fact the Bulls could have let him go without paying him another a cent the minute after he was in that crash.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Ah...then that is generous. Glad to see they didn't screw the kid over for an error in judgement that has ruined his life.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Glad to see they didn't screw the kid over for an error in judgement that has ruined his life
Why is it screwing someone over if you stop paying them after they a) break the terms of their contract, and b) can no longer offer the services that you pay them to provide? Jay Williams was VERY WELL COMPENSATED for the short time he played for the Bulls. Just to pay him for the remainder of last season was going beyond the call of duty, in my opinion. To now offer him millions more is ridiculous. The Bulls' management should wear a "kick me" sign around their neck.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Talkhard</b>!
Just to pay him for the remainder of last season was going beyond the call of duty, in my opinion. To now offer him millions more is ridiculous.
Agreed. They didn't have to do this, but they did. I have a sneaky suspicion that this is not all about being generous, though. Bill Duffy is a popular agent. See how happy he is about this? Maybe the Bulls want to get on his good side for future deals.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Talkhard</b>!

Why is it screwing someone over if you stop paying them after they a) break the terms of their contract, and b) can no longer offer the services that you pay them to provide?
Because it wasn't a malicious breaking of terms, it was a youthful mistake, in my opinion.

I fully agree that the Bulls had no legal need to do this and would have been well within their rights not to. I'm commending them for being a bit generous.

Perhaps it's a ploy, as D-Up suggests. But if it isn't, it's commendable.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I think if the bulls had voided JWills contract it would have made them look like a big bad greedy sports franchise so they probably did it partly as a business decision.

If they had voided his contract every future FA would bring that up, so for paying JW a couple extra million they give their organization a more positive reputation.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Bulls could have voided his contract due to the fact riding a motorcycle is strictly prohibited.
I didn't know that. Thanks for the clarification.

You'd think the article would mention an important detail like that... Perhaps it's been mentioned in the past and I just missed it.

Dan

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
The Bull's organization should be commended for doing this. They didn't have to and I am not sure they needed 3 million dollars worth of good will either. I am extremely pleased and impressed by what they have done.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Why don't the Blazers pick him up? I mean if he does make a comeback then he could be a good player, if his bones and ligaments are ok.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I agree that it was quite a generous move by the Bulls and an excellent PR move as someone else brought up. It was a youthful mistake.

It's probably safe to assume that both a terminated contract and a buy-out are treated the same way in terms of salary cap but does anyone know this for sure?

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
I would be estatic if we picked him up. He has the kind of personality and attitude to make a good comeback.

Why not offer him a 3 year deal at the minimum. That way he will have bird rights if he turns out any good.

Stats Last Year-9.5ppg, 4.7apg, 2.6rpg, 1.15spg, 26mpg

He is about 22-23 years old. Was the 2nd overall pick in 2002.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
For the record, they weren't going to cut him at all. But with the Bulls season going a bit tits up, and with the Pippen thing not working out, they're going to save the money and the roster spot.

And when Jay is ready to play again, which will probably be about half way through next season, it will be with the Bulls. :greatjob:

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Jay was bought out simply to open up a roster spot.

He has already been offered a front office job in the organization until he is ready to resume his playing career and I believe that terms of the buyout gives Chicago first rights when he is slated to return.

Basically, Williams is helping out the franchise because Chicago has been very good to him throughout the process. They could have simply voided his deal and moved on, but they have stuck with him. Him doing this, allows the Bulls some flexibility in making potential moves, ie a 2 for 1 or similar swap without having to make a cut in the short term.

It's all good in the Chicago hood... now if we could just win.

·
Registered
9,192 Posts
I'm surprised any of you guys thing Jay is going to be back.

He's lucky he can walk, let alone play NBA ball.

·
Registered
9,192 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ShamBulls</b>!
Dr James Andrews believes Jay can.

And I'll take his word over yours.
You got some sort of link?

I heard he was running around and all, but I still don't think he's going to return to the NBA (and even if he does, he won't ever be the same player).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts