Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I don't think Scott was the problem there at all. The Nets have been one of the best teams in the east the past few years and they basically have the same nucleus of players. Also, they screwed themselves with the Mutombo deal and Mourning didn't work out due to medical issues. The Nets are like the Blazers to some degree. They have a lot of talent and should be a better team.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Scott was not the Issue nor was Doc Rivers in Orlando. I would take either of those coaches in Portland.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I hope he won't be Blazer's next coach. I think he may be as bad as Cheeks. At one time he had an assistant coach who was running the team, but that guy went somewhere else and it's been all downhill for the Nets since.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Pretty amazing, considering that Scott has led the Nets to the NBA finals the last 2 years. Mo Cheeks has led the Blazers nowhere, yet he got a contract extension. Go figure.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
How about one the head coach the other an assistant?

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Yeah, wasn't Eddie Jordan his #1?

Coincidentally, didn't Cheeks also lose his #1 (Brown?) prior to this season?

Maybe that's had as much of an effect if not more as losing Pippen in the leadership of this team...

·
Registered
330 Posts
Yes Eddie Jordan was his assistant. I remember that last year there was talk that Eddie Jordan was running all the offense for Scott. But Eddie is with the Wizards, and they started off great in the beginning of the season, but have dropped off lately and have one of the worst records in the league. Looks like both coaches are struggling. I think coach's take to much responsiblity and blamed for the teams fallouts.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BLAZER PROPHET</b>!
OK, all this said, would either Scott or Rivers be a better coach than Mo?
Better in game coach? Probably.

But better at developing young talent? Maybe not. I think that's one aspect of Mo Cheeks' coaching abilities that is under rated. Zach Randolph has developed quicker than I'd have thought possible. Qyntel Woods also looks to be turning a corner. I think Cheeks has done a great job developing these guys. With guys like Darius Miles, Qyntel, Zach and Travis Outlaw, plus two first round picks in the next draft, we have a ton of young talent to develop. I think Mo Cheeks is the perfect guy to do that. Unfortunately, that should be the job of an assistant coach, not the head man. That's the problem. Mo Cheeks is coaching out of position. He should be an assistant.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
People are too quik to jump on the coach. The main players have been here through 3 different coaches. Each coach has been perceived to have lost control of the team. Is that the coaches issue? To me I think this is on the players (Notably rasheed and Damon) who seemingly do what they want.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Schilly</b>!
People are too quik to jump on the coach. The main players have been here through 3 different coaches. Each coach has been perceived to have lost control of the team. Is that the coaches issue? To me I think this is on the players (Notably rasheed and Damon) who seemingly do what they want.
I definitely agree with this. Cheeks may not be in the group of elite coaches but he is not the main reason for Portland's bad record. I really think Cheeks gets a bad rap far too often when it usually comes back to the players. The main players are still with Portland but there is not as much talent among the others. Portland had more talent under Adelman and Dunleavy. Cheeks can only do with what he has on the roster. I question some of his decisions at times like anyone else but it all comes down to the players...for the most part.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Anybody who thinks that Jason Kidd did not have a ton to do with Scott being fired is out to lunch permanently. Kidd has said many times that he was unhappy with Scott and him being replaced was part of him signing a long term deal with the Nets. Infact Frank who is replacing Scott was Jason's top choice!

Know what kind of head coaching experience Frank has?0

If your team is sitting in the 1 spot do ya make this type of change mid season?

It's obvious now that it's easier to move a coach then it is to move a big money player like Kidd. Keeping your franchise player happy seems to be the most important thing, more than team or success! Corner stone players get what they want, that's clear. Why else would you fire a coach that has your team in 1st two years in a row and in the conference championship just as many times?

When I was listening to the Nets owner talking I could only think what a dolt letting his PG make decisions on how to run a team.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
I've never read anything positive about Byron Scott as a coach. As soon as Jordan left NJ, Scott's team goes in the tank.

Now, both of these things might be neither here nor there in terms of actual evidence of Scott's poor abilities as a coach, but as circumstantial evidence they seem to support him being fired.

Mo Cheeks was at least an assistant coach for like 8 years (1 in the CBA and 7 in Philly). Scott was an assistant in Sacramento for 2, and I think experience counts for something.

I'm not a big Cheeks fan at this point, but I think that replacing him with Scott would be like jumping from the frying pan and into the fire.

Ed O.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts