Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Wow, the timing certainly is odd, considering they were horrible for so many years and now they are seemingly headed for a playoff berth. I'm not at all surprised they fired Silas, I just thought they would wait until after the season.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens now- LeBron was openly very critical of Silas, he's going to get the "blame" for Silas getting canned by most people IMO. He had better pick the team's play up over their final 18? games or he is going to be roasted in the media.

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
bullsville said:
Wow, the timing certainly is odd, considering they were horrible for so many years and now they are seemingly headed for a playoff berth. I'm not at all surprised they fired Silas, I just thought they would wait until after the season.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens now- LeBron was openly very critical of Silas, he's going to get the "blame" for Silas getting canned by most people IMO. He had better pick the team's play up over their final 18? games or he is going to be roasted in the media.

No he won't. He's untouchable in the media right now. His TEAMMATES will take ALL the blame though.

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
As an aside thought...my first thoughts were: "Jim Paxson strikes again"....

Something about what Lebron said on ESPNNEWS about last nights game REALLY irked me.

After scoring 56 pts. He said, "I put THEM in a position to to win the game and we didn't win"

No matter how many points rebounds and assists you gain, if you lose, then you share the blame. I'm disappointed.

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
CLEVELAND -- Paul Silas was fired as coach of the Cleveland Cavaliers on Monday with his team fighting for a playoff spot after being in first place earlier in the year.

Silas told The Associated Press he was called in Monday morning for a brief meeting with general manager Jim Paxson and new owner Dan Gilbert.

"They released me," Silas said. "They didn't think the team was performing as well as it should be and they wanted to make a change."

Despite having league superstar LeBron James, the Cavaliers have struggled since the All-Star break, losing seven of 10 and nine straight road games, including Sunday's 105-98 loss to Toronto when James scored a franchise-record 56.

The team also fired Silas' son, assistant coach Stephen Silas. Assistant coach Brendan Malone will be the interim head coach.

The Cavaliers are interested in Cleveland native Flip Saunders as the possible successor to Silas, league sources told ESPN.com's Marc Stein.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2018311

father and son both get canned! maybe lebron really is the "new kobe"

·
Old-Timer
2,619 Posts
Wow, firing him at this point seems crazy. I know they've been slumping, but they're still a 5 seed if the season ended today. I can't see anyone taking over now and helping the situation so late in the season.

They'll probably win a couple in a row just because that's always seems to happen after a coach is fired, but I expect them to return back to where they are now shortly after the adrenaline wears off.

I wonder if Phil Jackson could be a possibility?

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
The Krakken said:
No he won't. He's untouchable in the media right now. His TEAMMATES will take ALL the blame though.
He certainly has been untouchable up until now.

And you may be right, the new owners could bite the bullet for Silas' firing, they can say it was their idea and the Cavs fans might very well buy it. But IMO that won't stop the inevitable conclusions that if LeBron wanted Silas around, he would still be there.

·
Registered
78 Posts
That's twice now that he has been fired when I didn't think he should have been. Is there more going on than meets the eye? Are players complaining to the GM?

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I agree the timing is surprising , but given Cavs latest results it's not that surprising...

But a shkeup in a team 1 spot ahead of us at this time might go both ways - although usually the Denver-Karl senario don't happen very often.

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
MVPKirk said:
That's twice now that he has been fired when I didn't think he should have been. Is there more going on than meets the eye? Are players complaining to the GM?

maybe they're complaining to usher!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Lebron made many comments about last night's game that were troublesome, saying in the AP recap about forty times that he had a great game...but...uh...well...it would have been better to have won. But what a great game personally!

I read that he had a very key turnover and missed two big shots...he doesn't mention those anywhere. I like Lebron, but his media persona has always been TERRIBLY canned in my opinion. He tries to look and sound like MJ in interviews but he's very different, I feel...I don't mean that as a value judgment, but I do think it's true.

"I put them in position to win..."

My goodness.

·
Skokie, IL 60076
17,170 Posts
The Krakken said:

Something about what Lebron said on ESPNNEWS about last nights game REALLY irked me.

After scoring 56 pts. He said, "I put THEM in a position to to win the game and we didn't win"

No matter how many points rebounds and assists you gain, if you lose, then you share the blame. I'm disappointed.
Here's another quote from him : "I played well, probably the best game of my life," said James, who stormed angrily off the floor when the final buzzer sounded. "But it means nothing when you come away with a loss. I don't care about individual stats, especially when you lose.

"I was disappointed to have as good a game as I had and still come out with a loss."
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/serv...ry/LAC/20050321/RAPTORS21/TPSports/Basketball

All of this while coming off a 3-of-20 shooting performance in the loss Friday night to the Philadelphia 76ers. But as he arrived at the arena Sunday, James sounded certain of a stellar afternoon.

``It's just one game,'' James said of his poor showing before tipoff. ``I'll take care of that right now. I'll show you tonight.''
http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/sports/basketball/nba/cleveland_cavaliers/11190730.htm

"Donyell's a key guy for them," James said. "He's like a starter coming off the bench." :confused: http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1111401087299472.xml

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
This could be good for us, it could be bad. It depends on if Silas firing results in jubilation from the Cavs, or more finger pointing. Clearly it's a team in complete dissarray right now. Which is good for us. But if this gets their house back in order...we're ****ed.

I guess Lebron is does have a little Magic in his game afterall. :biggrin:

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
The Krakken said:
Aside from lucking into Lebron with the first pick... what has the 'other' Paxson done right over the past 5 seasons? Drafted Luke Jackson, Wags, Diop, Mihm, (cough* cough* anyone remember Trajan Langdon?) traded Miller/Murray/Person for DMiles, Boozer let go, etc. I guess the Gooden deal is above average as was McGinnis, but those guys are still journeymen if not for Lebron IMO.

If Lebron doesn't get any help this offseason, I can't see a reason why he'd stick around. I think he knows the lights shine brighter outside of his home state

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I was originially going to reply with "But the Cavs ARE Lebron now...he's the King of Ohio!"

Then I realized that he'd overshadow any other player on any other team and that is no issue at all. Lebron is the most powerful player in basketball and it's a non-story if he even walked into Gilbert's office and told him to fire Silas or he'd fake an injury for the rest of the season. What chips does Cleveland management have? Lebron has all the power. And will over any team for the next ten years.

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
BealeFarange said:
Lebron made many comments about last night's game that were troublesome, saying in the AP recap about forty times that he had a great game...but...uh...well...it would have been better to have won. But what a great game personally!

I read that he had a very key turnover and missed two big shots...he doesn't mention those anywhere. I like Lebron, but his media persona has always been TERRIBLY canned in my opinion. He tries to look and sound like MJ in interviews but he's very different, I feel...I don't mean that as a value judgment, but I do think it's true.

"I put them in position to win..."

My goodness.

I actually had to listen to that quote 3 times to make sure my ears were hearing it right. I could NOT believe it.

spongyfungy said:
Here's another quote from him : "I played well, probably the best game of my life," said James, who stormed angrily off the floor when the final buzzer sounded. "But it means nothing when you come away with a loss. I don't care about individual stats, especially when you lose.

"I was disappointed to have as good a game as I had and still come out with a loss."
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/serv...orts/Basketball

All of this while coming off a 3-of-20 shooting performance in the loss Friday night to the Philadelphia 76ers. But as he arrived at the arena Sunday, James sounded certain of a stellar afternoon.

``It's just one game,'' James said of his poor showing before tipoff. ``I'll take care of that right now. I'll show you tonight.''
http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/sports...rs/11190730.htm

"Donyell's a key guy for them," James said. "He's like a starter coming off the bench." http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/plain...01087299472.xml
Sounds like he's a bit confusued.

superdave said:
Aside from lucking into Lebron with the first pick... what has the 'other' Paxson done right over the past 5 seasons? Drafted Luke Jackson, Wags, Diop, Mihm, (cough* cough* anyone remember Trajan Langdon?) traded Miller/Murray/Person for DMiles, Boozer let go, etc. I guess the Gooden deal is above average as was McGinnis, but those guys are still journeymen if not for Lebron IMO.

If Lebron doesn't get any help this offseason, I can't see a reason why he'd stick around. I think he knows the lights shine brighter outside of his home state
I agree with this.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I could have told you this was going to happen the day they hired Silas. The Cavs brass said all along he was the perfect guy to break LeBron in. Well I think it's safe to say he's acclimated to the NBA so why keep Silas? They weren't going to win anything with him and that was obvious last year. He's a good player manager but an awful strategist. Hopefully the Cavs will continue in the right direction and fire Paxton and hire Phil Jackson to run the show.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Silas has been in the spotlight a couple of times already this year. One being with Snow and the other recently with McGinnis. he was openly critical to the media about those two guys and to me it seemed he was really unreasonable about the situation.

·
Registered
62 Posts
YearofDaBulls said:
Silas has been in the spotlight a couple of times already this year. One being with Snow and the other recently with McGinnis. he was openly critical to the media about those two guys and to me it seemed he was really unreasonable about the situation.

McInnis has had run-ins with coaches before (LA, Portland) but he seemed to be beyond that. I've never heard of Eric Snow being any type of disruptive influence. Basically I think it came down to Silas being a ***** as always and J-Mac and Snow probably having the balls to say something about it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts