Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
http://centralrecorder.com/2012/04/29/soccer-story/

One of only two sports with a ban that weren't hoops or football (Northern Colorado wrestling).

Oops.
Yes, it's nothing we are proud of, but with transfers out these things happen.

For the record, CCSU's APR missed by 1 point - that's it 1 point - and we were denied appeal. I don't think the UConn hoops situation helped us in that situation.

Again, I'm not a huge fan of the APR as any indicator of academics, but it is what it is.

And I don't have to remind you all that the CAA has 2 basketball programs on this list - Towson and UNCW - and no one iss calling to distance themselves from those schools.

Teams with postseason ineligibility for 2012-13:

Men's basketball:

• California State-Bakersfield (still under review)

• Jacksonville State

• Mississippi Valley State

• Texas A&M Corpus Christi

• Towson

• Arkansas-Pine Bluff

• California-Riverside

• Connecticut

• North Carolina-Wilmington

• Toledo

Football

• Hampton

• North Carolina A&T State

• Texas Southern

Men's Soccer

• Central Connecticut State

Men's Wrestling

• Northern Colorado
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/story/2012-06-20/ncaa-apr-connecticut-ban/55713412/1

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
While no one in the CAA is proud of UNCW and Towson, they're current members, not looking for admission into a conference.

·
Premium Member
33,191 Posts
Getting dinged on soccer? Really.

I know the reasons why the Albany guys and Maine guys like schools like CCSU and Monmouth, but I really don't want to add these schools because on the academic side they just don't even come close to fitting.

I' don't even think academics are the most important thing, but they would just stick out pretty bad.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I'll only say this and move on ....

Binghamton, arguably the most prestigous academic institution in the league, did more damage to its own reputation and that of America East, with its basketball fisaco.

No one is going to confuse CCSU with Yale, but we have never had any athletic scandals that have even come close to what has gone on at other peer NCAA insitutions. We have a strong athletic program and maintain strong core values for our student-athletes.

Again, look at the incoming SAT scores at Hartford or look at the acceptance rate at Quinnipiac , its not better than CCSU. There is nothing to show that CCSU has an insitutional problem regarding its academics or athletics - a single APR score (1 point below the threshold) is just an isolated incident that most NCAA progarms have to deal with in one way or another.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think this reflects much on ccsu as an institution, just on how it built its soccer program on transfers and international guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts