Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
I don't know much about him, but he did get his team to the ECF and the semifinals, which was no small achievement given the mess Pitino left the team in.

yet another losing team ditching their coach while Cheeks remains invulnerable.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
if my math is right, this means that only 1 team has the same coach it had last season, in the eastern conference.

Boston: Gone
Knicks: Gone
Nets: Gone
Hawks: Stotts
Hornets: Gone
Magic: Gone
Heat: Gone
Raptors: Gone
Bucks: Gone
Bulls: Gone
Pacers: Gone
Pistons: Gone
Wizards: Gone
Cavs: Gone
New Orleans: Gone

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Hap</b>!
if my math is right, this means that only 1 team has the same coach it had last season, in the eastern conference.
Shoot, I gues that means Mo would be looking for work right now -- had he taken that job with the Sixers. ;)

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ABM</b>!

Shoot, I gues that means Mo would be looking for work right now -- had he taken that job with the Sixers. ;)
how do you figure? The 76ers haven't fired the guy they hired to replace Larry Brown..who left last season..which was the crux of my post...the coaches from *LAST* season have all been replaced cept for Terry Stotts..

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
sounds about right. ESPN says there've been 17 new coaches since the end of last season. since most of the Eastern teams have worse records, it makes sense that the turnover is higher over there.

kind of sad, though, because the real overall problem is not that there aren't enough good coaches in the East. the problem is that the East doesn't happen to have nearly as many talented players as the West.

just curious--how many sub-.500 teams in the NBA still have the same coach as last year?

off the top of my head I can only think of Atlanta (in limbo with the team for sale), Utah (Sloan should never, ever be fired) and Portland.

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Hap</b>!

how do you figure? The 76ers haven't fired the guy they hired to replace Larry Brown..who left last season..which was the crux of my post...the coaches from *LAST* season have all been replaced cept for Terry Stotts..
I guess my interpretation of a wink is different than yous. ;)

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
I'll answer myself...

Stotts was hired as Interim Head Coach (promotion fro assistant) on December 26th 2002. He was named permanent head coach in August of 2003.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Didn't Dick Harter used to be an assistant in Portland?

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
just curious--how many sub-.500 teams in the NBA still have the same coach as last year?

off the top of my head I can only think of Atlanta (in limbo with the team for sale), Utah (Sloan should never, ever be fired) and Portland.
Scratch Utah off the list, they're 22-22. Us and Atlanta, woo-hoo!

Dan

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
I looked it up and you are right, dkap. I just assumed that a team so deprived of any talent at all stood no chance of even sniffing .500.

clearly, Sloan must have very "coachable" players to have out-achieved our team.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Originally posted by <b>theWanker</b>!
I looked it up and you are right, dkap. I just assumed that a team so deprived of any talent at all stood no chance of even sniffing .500.

clearly, Sloan must have very "coachable" players to have out-achieved our team.
They do have Kirilenko. He's a borderline star right now. Harpring is good too before he went down. Arroyo is a young talent at point guard. Raja Bell is playing well this year.

I wouldn't say Utah is deprived of any talent at all. I do see your point though. As much as I dislike Sloan due to his history with Portland, I respect his coaching ability very much. He's an excellent coach. Discipline and precision on execution is what Sloan emphasize most. That goes along way in a team success.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Beaverton</b>!
Didn't Dick Harter used to be an assistant in Portland?
Yup. Under PJ Carlisimo I believe. Rick Carlisle (dunno how to spell:D ) was also an assistant under Carlisimo in Portland.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I think O Brian is the best of the coaches that have become available this season. Ainge really sabatoged him with his trades. The Celtics really improved after O Brian took over from Pitono. Also he is big on defense, maybe this is a guy the Blazers should be looking at.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Or I would consider hiring Dick Harter as an assistant coach for the Blazers; he is a great defensive coach, he has head coach experience and an Oregon background, I think it would be great to have him on the bench to help Cheeks, if Cheeks is a big enough man to admit he needs help.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Ukrainefan</b>!
I think O Brian is the best of the coaches that have become available this season. Ainge really sabatoged him with his trades. The Celtics really improved after O Brian took over from Pitono. Also he is big on defense, maybe this is a guy the Blazers should be looking at.
No thanks. He would be no savior for sure. What has that guy done in Boston? Not much. The east is weak and he can't do anything over there. I don't see why you praise him so much. I would rather go with Cheeks right now. And Boston is no great defensive team. Portland is not going to look at this guy...get real.

·
Registered
782 Posts
OK, if nobody else is around, I'll make a counterargument to my own post. I just read an article on Hoopsworld by Phillip Maymin on why O Brian really quit. He thinks it's because the defensive system run by O Brian and Harter prevented the team from fastbreaking and also may be losing it's effectiveness. And the system requires a lot of hard work by the players. So maybe neither of these coaches would be a good fit with Portland. I wish i could hear from either of them what they think.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Just as a point of fact, O Brian did do very well with this team (beat Indiana in the playoffs last year)before Ainge made all his trades and they hold other teams to a .427 shooting percentage. I don't think i praised him that much, i just said he should be considered. Also I thinking telling me to "get real" feels a little insulting and is unnecessary.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Ukrainefan</b>!
Just as a point of fact, O Brian did do very well with this team (beat Indiana in the playoffs last year) and they hold other teams to a .427 shooting percentage. I don't think i praised him that much, i just said he should be considered. Also I thinking telling me to "get real" feels a little insulting and is unnecessary.
I suppose beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. I really dont' think he's done much in Boston myself. I just don't get why Portland would be considering anyone right now...what would be the point? Do you really think Portland will just turn it around with a coach like that? I don't. And the thing about saying get real...well, don't take those things personally. I don't mean to be insulting but you can't have thin skin around here. People have strong opinions about things and comments like that get added at times.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts