Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(didn't mean for the title to rhyme...just didn't know how else to put it)
http://www.tsn.ca/nba/news_story.asp?id=120428

This guy has some huge potential and is very athletic. I know we have a lot of young players up front, but he could help the team out a lot. He is a monster on the boards which is something this team needs.
I still think that the raptors should choose a PG with their first pick..but if things don't work out, this guy is an option.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
He's got the NBA body and skills, but from what I have seen he seriously lacks in the intensity area

however, I have a feeling that he will get pushed back to the fringe of the top 10, meaning that he might be available with our 1st pick and the Raptors should take a good look at this kid

While it seems like forever, this kid was not too long ago being touted as a #1 overall pick, so we'll see.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
i think taft has amazing potential but i dont think we can roll the dice on him because of his well-documented attitude problems. we have a team thats still developing an image and i dont think taft would help that. if he was available with the 6-9, i think we'd have to pass and take JJ or antoine wright... but if he is somehow available with philly's pick, id really have to reconsider though...

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Budweiser_Boy said:
I think he could be had with our second pick, if we really want him.
I don't think he'll be around that long..unless something changes during workouts I'd see him going somewhere between 6-8.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
No thanks. Unless he is hands down, head and shoulders above every other PG/swingman we could pick.

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
If were going to draft a power forward, I want one who is a tenacious rebounder and tough defender--or could at least be one in time. Taft is a shotblocker that could be a dominant one and he is a good rebounder. He doesn't pick up a lot of fouls and he looks like he plays under control in the defensive post. Offensively he isn't very developed, which is a good thing, I think. Whoever else we draft will probably be more talented on that end.

Personally I haven't been impressed with Taft when I've watched him but he's an '85, younger than Bosh, so he has time. I think he is the kind of pick that is a combination of picking on potential and picking on need, which is interesting.

We might need to draft him at 7/8/9, though. I don't think he'll still be around at 13/14/15. If we were to pick him, we'd probably go with Jarrett Jack, Monta Ellis, or (if he declares) John Gilchrist with the second pick.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
-James- said:
i think taft has amazing potential but i dont think we can roll the dice on him because of his well-documented attitude problems. we have a team thats still developing an image and i dont think taft would help that. if he was available with the 6-9, i think we'd have to pass and take JJ or antoine wright... but if he is somehow available with philly's pick, id really have to reconsider though...
Yeah his attitude is something that brings him down. If he had some intensity in his game and played hard every night, I'd pick him up without thinking twice.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
The only big guy I really want the Raptors to get in this draft is Andre Bogut. If we don't win the lottery, we go small. That's my two cents.

·
Registered
656 Posts
If Shelding Williams declare, I'd take him over Taft, he's already a better rebounder shot-blocker and low post scorer than Taft

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
i think drafting taft...would be a waste...unless he can play center....because Bosh is our PF..and he will begin avging big minutes for us from next year on....im thinking high 30's or low 40's...so that leaves about 8-12 minutes a game at the forward spot??? and there is no way in hell that Taft can play SF...he is wayy to lazy as was said....so i think we should draft a PG or an combo SG/SF..or draft him and trade him to a team that wants him...maybe New Orleans or a team further down...like New Jesery that need a PF...and get something out of it....

·
Registered
686 Posts
What about Sean May?

Where is he expected to go? Could he be our C?

Taft was amazing last year. This year, he was a disappointment. Not worth risking our high pick on IMO, and we already have Bosh.

If Bogut isnt around, I'd love to draft either Greene from HS and then Jack at PG...

or else I'd look into getting May.

Big game performer.

·
STL4LIFE
5,841 Posts
he does have good size but taking with him with the 1st pick is risky rather get a guy like Green who has mad potential.

2nd pick need a PG Jack is the best available PG at here, or if Taft slides here would'nt mind taking him but id Spitlerr is take him.
I really want Louis Williams in the 2nd.

rnd 1 a PG deron williams/ SG/SF Gerald Green
rnd 1 b PG Jarret Jack/C Chris Taft/PF Spitler
rnd 2 a SG/PG Louis Williams/PG Daniel Ewing
rnd 2 B PF Jaun Mendoz/ PF Troutman/SG Russell

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
firstrounder said:
What about Sean May?

Where is he expected to go? Could he be our C?
No WAY May will ever play centre. People right now are questioning if he is even big enough for the PF spot, so centre is totally out of the question for May.. college, yes.. nba, NO.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts