Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the ruination of that league at hand too?

NEW YORK - Ohio State running back Maurice Clarett was ruled eligible for the NFL draft Thursday by a federal judge who concluded that the league's rule violates antitrust laws.
---
Clarett sued the NFL last summer to challenge the league rule that a player must be out of high school three years for draft eligibility. Thursday's ruling, if not successfully appealed, could allow teenage football stars to turn pro the way younger athletes in other sports can, such as LeBron James in the NBA.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...u=/ap/20040205/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_clarett_nfl

·
Registered
352 Posts
Don't you just love it, a guy who lies about receiving illegal funds in college is going to get a big paycheck in the pros if this all goes thru.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Originally posted by <b>evalam23</b>!
Don't you just love it, a guy who lies about receiving illegal funds in college is going to get a big paycheck in the pros if this all goes thru.
And the injustice pales in comparison to the large paychecks that colleges and college coaches receive due to the exploitative "wages" that they pay their "star" players in college basketball and football.

And folks, don't say how you would be willing to trade places with one of these "exploited" college players, because I suspect there isn't anyone lined up willing to shell out millions of dollars to watch you play basketball or football.

We don't see may CEOs who are willing to be paid far less than their marginal product; why do we expect college athletes to be any different?

·
Registered
596 Posts
I cant stand the thought of this happening.

Honestly, every owner should get together and make a pact NOT to draft this kid. Maybe that would scare off the other little kiddies from trying to play a mans game.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Shinky</b>!
I cant stand the thought of this happening.

Honestly, every owner should get together and make a pact NOT to draft this kid. Maybe that would scare off the other little kiddies from trying to play a mans game.
If these young college guys aren't ready and NFL teams don't have the room to develop them for a few years, they won't be drafted. A lot of folks who probably are strong free market advocates everywhere else all of a sudden become closet-communists (or at the very least someone who believes heavily in regulating markets) when it comes to college athletes entering the pros.

·
Registered
596 Posts
The whole problem with this, though, is that there is a WORKING AGREEMENT with the NFL and players union, that stipulates when a player can be draft eligible. You and I BOTH know that this will eventually end up with a high schooler trying to declare at some point in time.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
This will ruin college football like it ruined college basketball. The thing is......I am sure the NFL will appeal this and the appeals process will go on beyond draft day.

·
Old-Timer
2,619 Posts
Originally posted by <b>NCBullsFan</b>!

And the injustice pales in comparison to the large paychecks that colleges and college coaches receive due to the exploitative "wages" that they pay their "star" players in college basketball and football.

And folks, don't say how you would be willing to trade places with one of these "exploited" college players, because I suspect there isn't anyone lined up willing to shell out millions of dollars to watch you play basketball or football.

We don't see may CEOs who are willing to be paid far less than their marginal product; why do we expect college athletes to be any different?
I couldn't say it any better myself and I wouldn't want to try.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Originally posted by <b>NCBullsFan</b>!

If these young college guys aren't ready and NFL teams don't have the room to develop them for a few years, they won't be drafted. A lot of folks who probably are strong free market advocates everywhere else all of a sudden become closet-communists (or at the very least someone who believes heavily in regulating markets) when it comes to college athletes entering the pros.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
I agree totally wih NCBullsfan.

I don't understand why people always decide to side against the player in these situations. Is this not America? You should be able to do whatever you are qualified and want to do. If Clarett is qualified to play in the NFL right now then he should be allowed to rather than spin his wheels raking in big dollars for the corrupt system that is major college athletics.

College Basketball isn't ruined by high schoolers going pro. College basketball is ruined by the hypocricy inherent in it's system. It's the most two-faced anything anywhere. They say they want their guys to be Student Atheletes, but I don't know many students who would put in the extra amount of work off of school, and not get paid, in addition to taking their academics seriously. Yet this is the expectation. And meanwhile, while the players aren't getting paid, the Coaches are being paid millions and millions, the Universities sell the players jerseys, the NCAA slaps advertisements on tourney and bowl after bowl in a sick wolverine greed lust...

And let's not forget about the BCS system which discriminates againt smaller D-1 schools all in the name of television dollars.

I think the NFL and the NBA need to set up minor league systems like baseball does. I love how irrellevent College Baseball is. That's how it should be. The kids who want to be pros should be allowed to be trained as such. Making colleges the minor leagues just puts all the money in the wrong hands.

I've never liked Clarett but I hope he is able to succeed just to throw it back in Ohio State and the NCAA's face. Ohio State showed it's true colors on this kid. They gave him no support and made his life more miserable in the name of protecting their own skin.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Clarett is a desperate kid here. Trust me folks, there's more to the story about his 1 year ban from the NCAA than just taking 'improper benefits' and lying about it. There are allegations out there that Clarett had ties with a Vegas bookie repeatedly over his 1st season at Ohio State. We're talking hundreds of phone calls and inside information given out. Remember how Clarett's healthy seemed always been in doubt the 2nd half of the season.. and even for the BCS game? There are allegations that Clarett had regular communications with that bookie in the days leading up to those games. Sheesh.

Clarett could either wait out the NCAA and play D2 football or challenge the draft rule. What would you choose?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Originally posted by <b>superdave</b>!
There are allegations out there that Clarett had ties with a Vegas bookie repeatedly over his 1st season at Ohio State. We're talking hundreds of phone calls and inside information given out. There are allegations that Clarett had regular communications with that bookie in the days leading up to those games. Sheesh.
Try to remember that the reports are from a reporter's speculations with Clarett's ties. Also, his ties are not to a bookie... but rather a resturant owner who made 27 phone calls in one year to an overseas sports book.

Not saying anything here... but there is no proof the man (not a bookie) bet on Ohio State games or anything even anything at all.

They have proof he made phone calls... but on what, for what is totally speculation...

Hate to say it, but its the media's stretch for breaking news that creates most of the red herrings that are out there.

Until someone is proven guilty why don't we just go ahead and give them the benefit of the doubt before we charge them guilty.

Sure things don't look so great, but the truth is often in the middle of worst and best case scenarios... one reporters speculation and the NCAA's investigation a guilty college player does not make.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Originally posted by <b>LoyalBull</b>!

Try to remember that the reports are from a reporter's speculations with Clarett's ties. Also, his ties are not to a bookie... but rather a resturant owner who made 27 phone calls in one year to an overseas sports book.

Not saying anything here... but there is no proof the man (not a bookie) bet on Ohio State games or anything even anything at all.

They have proof he made phone calls... but on what, for what is totally speculation...

Hate to say it, but its the media's stretch for breaking news that creates most of the red herrings that are out there.

Until someone is proven guilty why don't we just go ahead and give them the benefit of the doubt before we charge them guilty.

Sure things don't look so great, but the truth is often in the middle of worst and best case scenarios... one reporters speculation and the NCAA's investigation a guilty college player does not make.
Nice post LoyalBull. I stand corrected on some of the information I posted earlier ;)

For the record, I don't really have a problem with the ruling. Heck, a high school senior could challenge the rule next year and I wouldn't give a damn. Football is football. As long as the current salary structure is in place, the quality of the pro game will not be affected by removing the age limit one bit. JMO.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
futuristxen

Great post. Lets not kid ourselfs he was the top 1 or 2 running backs in the nation his freshman year and single handedly won the championship game for ohio state and several other games early in the season. He will be a top ten pick and my guess is a top five pick. And as for greed. Universities make 10's of millions of dollars and most of the kids get zero.

And last time i checked americans have a legal right to work as long as they are over 18 and he is.

david

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Shinky</b>!
I hope he goes undrafted. Hopefully the owners get together and slap him right down.
A joint agreement such as that would qualify as collusion I believe. Besides, he was too much of a talent to pass up. Heck, McGahee was selected in the first round although it was well known how serious his knee injury was.

I have mixed feelings about this ruling. It was going to happen sooner or later, but I was really hoping for later. Part of what makes the NFL so great is knowing that the season's rookies will be making an impact all over the league. A big reason why this is possible is because these players have paid their dues in the college ranks and know what it takes to be properly conditioned. They have the fundamentals down and msot importantly, they've fully grown into their bodies. Football is a man's sport, moreso than basketball or baseball ever will be. How many of you have taken a hit going across the middle by a 230 lb freak trying to rip your head off? How many of you have attempted to tackle a 220 lb RB that lowers his shoulder and is ready to blast you? In basketball you have the hard foul and baseball you have maybe a hard slide or inside pitch, but in football, every single play is hard. I think the 3 year out of HS rule was really put in place to protect the game itself, as well as protect the new generation of kids that will now attempt to declare too early. Hopefully nature will take its course and correct itself, but I fear the day that NFL teams become like the NBA of today in which it's expected to wait 3-4 years for a young player to fulfill his "potential".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts