Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

OT: Cooked Rice

905 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  X-band '01 
#1 ·
I have to think Mike Rice's days at Rutgers are numbered. I have already seen Bobby Hurley mentioned as a possible replacement. I have followed his career a little bit as WH always had him flagged as a top coach and someone as a possible A10 coach replacement when he was at Robert Morris. I thought he was going to have a lot of success at Rutgers, and was wondering why it was taking so long to develop. Seems like he is a bit over the top, and it is now starting to backfire:

http://www.nj.com/rutgersbasketball/index.ssf/2012/12/politi_rutgers_coach_mike_rice_1.html

#3 ·
Fordham grad that did not even get an interview when our job opened up. I like him as a coach, but his reputation as a hot head preceeded him. Fordham did not interview him for a reason (a rare occassion where we made the right decision)

He his going to have to have a very good season this year to be kept on. He has 2 years left on his contract, but with the move to the B1G looming, they have to get the right guy in there before the move happens in my opinion.

The Hurleys (not just Bobby) are being mentioned as natural candidates. Would Danny leave URI so quickly?

#4 ·
Rice was an assistant for the Hawks for a couple of years (2004 after Matt Brady left to 2006). More than a few Hawk fans argue that he never was fully committed to the program and always had a wandering eye.

Rutgers has a culture of losing that's hard to extract. So many up and coming coaching careers have gone there to die.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.