Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Old-Timer
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Minor signing but figured I would post it at a time when there's not a lot of other news happening.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...mpster,1,2656246.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

I remember Dempster being a highly-rated prospect in the Marlins organization at one time, but he hasn't been good for a while. Not sure if he'll even ever pitch for the big club.

This isn't the right-handed starting pitcher signing I wanted to hear about this week! :upset:

·
Me lose brain? Uh oh!
5,702 Posts
sounds like a decent signing for an insurance 5th starter and inning-eating relief pitcher. I'd still prefer to snag Greg though.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I like the signing. Dempster may not even pitch 'til September as I think he had Tommy John surgery to end his season early. In terms of pure stuff, he reminds me of Clement w/ more power. Its worth a 1-2 year risk (the Cubs hold a TO for 2005)

·
Registered
14,070 Posts
he was the marlins number 1 starter before we traded him to the reds in the encarnacion deal. When he got to Cincy, he just strugled though. If he pitches like he did with us, u guys got yourselves a steal

·
Registered
702 Posts
Well after Dempster got his 50th win from the Marlins he started playing bad hopefully he would get back on track, but I agree the Cubs should get Maddux I wonder if Dempster still remembers what he did to me at the Fan Fest when he was a rookie

·
The Snake
6,527 Posts
If we don't sign Maddux we might throw Juan Cruz out there as the #5 starter, but we're going all-righty which could potentially become a mistake.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Originally posted by <b>T.Shock</b>!
If we don't sign Maddux we might throw Juan Cruz out there as the #5 starter, but we're going all-righty which could potentially become a mistake.
I disagree w/ the notion that you absolutely need a lefty starter in the rotation. Here's why:

Houston .258BA / .755 OPS versus righties
.283BA / .819 OPS versus lefties

St. Louis .277BA / .787 OPS versus righties
.283BA / .860 OPS versus lefties

Chicago .254BA / .729 OPS versus righties
.276BA / .772 OPS versus lefties

Each team in the Central had a better batting average and OPS versus lefties last season. Surprisingly, this was the case with St. Louis who has a lineup chock full of lefty bats.

·
Old-Timer
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by <b>T.Shock</b>!
Maybe I'm missing something, but I've always thought the "We must have at least one lefty starter" line of thought was overrated. I realize it's good to have the lefty to give hitters a different look, but I don't really see why it would be as important as some make it sound (and this isn't at all aimed directly at you t.shock). Aren't most hitters right-handed anyway? On top of that, most teams sign a lefty starter just for the sake of having one, regardless if he's any good or not (see: Shawn Estes). I don't know, just my thoughts...

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Originally posted by <b>PC Load Letter</b>!

Maybe I'm missing something, but I've always thought the "We must have at least one lefty starter" line of thought was overrated. I realize it's good to have the lefty to give hitters a different look, but I don't really see why it would be as important as some make it sound (and this isn't at all aimed directly at you t.shock). Aren't most hitters right-handed anyway? On top of that, most teams sign a lefty starter just for the sake of having one, regardless if he's any good or not (see: Shawn Estes). I don't know, just my thoughts...
Palabra.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
As the adage goes, you can never have enough pitching.

The Cubs are in a great position right now. Clement and Farns in the last year of their deals, Cruz and Wellemeyer, who are highly touted, yet out of the mix it seems, Guzman probably slotted for a late 2004 appearance, Sisco (a huge lefty) slated for 2005 and the wildcard in Dempster. All this not including a pending Maddux signing and extension for Wood.

If I were Hendry I'd make a serious run at Carlos Beltran during this season. It looks the Royals will sell him off to the highest bidder this season.

·
Old-Timer
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by <b>superdave</b>!
If I were Hendry I'd make a serious run at Carlos Beltran during this season. It looks the Royals will sell him off to the highest bidder this season.
Beltran would be a great move, assuming we need it, which I'm sure we will, considering Alou hasn't stayed healthy two seasons in a row in a while.

Didn't the Royals just sign him to only a 1-year deal to avoid arbitration? If so, they'll definitely be looking to move him during the season. A very underrated player who you can count on to drive in over 100 runs and steal 30 bases every year.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Originally posted by <b>PC Load Letter</b>!

Beltran would be a great move, assuming we need it, which I'm sure we will, considering Alou hasn't stayed healthy two seasons in a row in a while.

Didn't the Royals just sign him to only a 1-year deal to avoid arbitration? If so, they'll definitely be looking to move him during the season. A very underrated player who you can count on to drive in over 100 runs and steal 30 bases every year.
Yup 1 year 9M to avoid arbitration. He's basically been the best Royals player offensively for a while now. Only problem I forsee is the Scott Boras card, though Hendry actually enjoys an above average relationship w/ him.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts