Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Ethical Hacker
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ESPN is reporting that the Dwight Howard deal is done.

A four-team trade that would send Dwight Howard to the Los Angeles Lakers is complete, multiple sources told ESPN on Thursday night.

A source with direct knowledge of the talks told ESPN.com's Marc Stein the Lakers will receive Howard, the Denver Nuggets will acquire Andre Iguodala, the 76ers will receive Andrew Bynum and Jason Richardson, and the Magic will get Arron Afflalo, Al Harrington, Nikola Vucevic and one protected future first-round pick from each of the other three teams.

In addition, the Magic will be getting other pieces, including 76ers No. 1 draft pick Moe Harkless, a source told Stein.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8...rd-los-angeles-lakers-four-team-deal-complete

·
Premium Member
14,320 Posts
So do the 76ers run something like Holiday/Turner/Thad Young/Specner Hawes/Bynum now?

I'm ready to hear some people complain about why we couldn't get in on this bonanza

·
Ethical Hacker
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So do the 76ers run something like Holiday/Turner/Thad Young/Specner Hawes/Bynum now?

I'm ready to hear some people complain about why we couldn't get in on this bonanza
Something like that seems likely with J Rich coming off the bench. Good deal for Philly.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I think the Sixers see Thad as a 4 so I'd expect them to go Holiday/Turner/Wright/Young/Bynum to really spread the floor. Nice team.

So pretty much everyone wins in that trade, except Orlando. :laugh:

Awful situation for Orlando to be in but at least he's finally traded and they can move on.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Barring a miracle it's hard to see the Bulls competing for a title any time soon. We need to tank the hell out of this season and get a good draft pick going forward because we have no cap flexibility for the next couple of years.

Fingers crossed for Mirotic and the Bobcats pick. :gopray:

On the bright side, at least Dwight is out of the East.

·
Ugliest SupMember
1,704 Posts
Not sure why Orlando did the deal. They didn't get good draft picks or players. They did get rid of a headache.

·
Premium Member
9,836 Posts
Not sure why Orlando did the deal. They didn't get good draft picks or players. They did get rid of a headache.
I still can't believe that's the trade. They'd almost be better off with Howard leaving in free agency.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
That means Gasol is staying in LA?

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
Doesn't this seem like the worst deal for Orlando among any that have been discussed heretofore? It's just bizarre.

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
I feel like they are going all in on the Oklahoma City model. Grab quality role players that won't contribute much to wins but will later (Afflalo). Land a top pick over the next couple years and hope you score a franchise player while scoring with one or more of the first rounders you are inheriting or Harkelis. Looks like a 2-3 year rebuild, and then reevaluate.

This upcoming draft has two or three guys that aren't guaranteed to be but very well could be franchise type players.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
Nuggets -- Meh. Affalo is pretty decent in his own right, and though a hair younger than Iggy he has alot less mileage on his legs. I don't see that as a huge upgrade, especially not longer term. I forget about Affalo's contract though, so maybe that played into it.

Philly -- good for them filling their weakest position by shedding a player from their strongest position. They still majorly lack star power -- Bynum is NOT a star, despite being the #2 center in the NBA, he is inconsistent, injury prone, and a bit of a clown. But still an upgrade for them. It's reasonable to expect Philly to perform similar to the Pacers last year.

Orlando -- I agree they got the worst end of the deal. I'm really irked at this, as they reinforced what I thought was a dangerous precedent set by other stars recently, and that is to let their franchise player hold them hostage and dictate the terms of the trade. It's absolutely ridiculous to let players call all the shots when they are still on contract.

Lakers -- part of me envies them for always getting the best of every friggin trade on the planet. But then I remember, some of this comes down GMs letting their players call the shots. Gasol purposely tanked in Memphis until he got his way, and now Howard uses his expiring contract as leverage to ensure he only gets traded to his desired team. I wish the owners would form a pact and trade their players to the Charlotte Bobcats every time someone tried to hold the franchise hostage by demanding a trade to specific teams.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
This is what a team that is serious about winning a title does. While Jerry Reinsdorf is throwing money at a baseball team that nobody cares about, hes letting his basketball team rot away slowly as other teams pass the Bulls. 30 freaking million in taxes alone is what the Lakers will pay next season... I don't want to hear anymore excuses about how restrictive the damn salary cap is, not when the Lakers are adding guys like Howard, Nash and Jamison in bad trades.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
maybe the 'bad trades' are actually the proof you're looking for? some teams arent willing to spend (others may have just signed a billion dollar TV contract)

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
maybe the 'bad trades' are actually the proof you're looking for? some teams arent willing to spend (others may have just signed a billion dollar TV contract)
The Lakers are going to get close to 200 million a year, they are willing to pay more than half of that in salary. The Bulls even if they got a billion dollar TV deal would NEVER do that.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
This is what a team that is serious about winning a title does.
This has little to do with any skill exhibited by the Lakers, and everything to do with yet another situation of a superstar holding his team hostage until he gets what he wants. The fact of the matter is all but a few NBA superstars want to play in LA, NY, and Miami.

You don't need a brain to understand that Dwight Howard makes your team better. The problem is Howard was allowed to choose his team and he held the leverage b/c he would refuse signing an extension with anyone else. I blame the Magic front office for letting this get out of hand, this was even worse than the Lebron/Cavs situation.

How do you know the Bulls wouldn't pay up for this type of super team? Sure it would mean ticket prices go up, but I would venture to guess so will the Lakers' ticket prices. Not to mention even before this trade, the Lakers signed a huge TV deal and are an even bigger and more basketball hungry market than Chicago.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
no skill exhibited by the lakers? I think Mitch has plenty of reason to pop his collar after this off-season

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
This has little to do with any skill exhibited by the Lakers, and everything to do with yet another situation of a superstar holding his team hostage until he gets what he wants. The fact of the matter is all but a few NBA superstars want to play in LA, NY, and Miami.
First of all Dwight wanted to play in Brooklyn, not LA. He even went as far as saying that he dint want to play in LA and has not even signed an extension with them, yet the Lakers still pulled off the trade because they are serious about winning.

How do you know the Bulls wouldn't pay up for this type of super team? Sure it would mean ticket prices go up, but I would venture to guess so will the Lakers' ticket prices. Not to mention even before this trade, the Lakers signed a huge TV deal and are an even bigger and more basketball hungry market than Chicago.
I dont buy that LA is a hungrier market than Chicago. The Bulls sold out more games than the Lakers, had over 100k more fans attend Bulls games over Laker games and has been doing so for the past 5+ Years. Only the Bulls could be a top 5 team in Attendance while being horrible team like they did from 2001 to 2005.

Heck the Bulls put up HISTORIC Comcast ratings with only 1 freaking marketable star in Derrick Rose. The Lakers have a top 5 player of all time, multiple stars and one nut case, of course they are going to get a great TV deal. Don't discount the fact that they are incredibly aggressive in the off season as one reason as to why they got such a great TV deal, everyone knows that the Lakers will try to improve every year and try to attract the biggest stars every year.

Like I said, the Lakers are a team that is serious about winning a title.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts