Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MINNEAPOLIS - For most of his young NBA career, Eddie Griffin has been known by another name: "Troubled forward Eddie Griffin."

Aggravated assault, drug possession and alcoholism helped brand him with the dubious moniker and put his once promising career on the brink of disaster.

Then Kevin McHale came calling.

The Minnesota Timberwolves vice president of basketball operations, and future coach of the team, knew he was taking a gamble on the former lottery pick who did not play a game last year after being cut by Houston and New Jersey.

This season Griffin has put his past behind him to become a reliable contributor off the bench for the Timberwolves, averaging 7.7 points, 6.5 rebounds and 1.63 blocks.

"He's a tremendous defender and a tremendous rebounder," said McHale, who took over for coach Flip Saunders in February. "He does so many things very well. He's given us a big lift. Really a good kid."
Link

Even though he is on a team with Spree and Sammy, he has managed not only to turn his NBA career around, seems his life too. Great to see.

-Petey

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cpawfan said:
I guess he has managed to stay away from wedding receptions.

Glad to hear that he is starting to turn his life around.
Yeah imagine if we outlawed weddings in NJ, we'd have our needed PF already.

-Petey

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Good for him.

But I really think he should have given the Nets a second look, just like the way the Nets took a chance on him.

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
The Rockets gave up so much for him and look at them now. They basically got nothing in that deal, instead they ended up giving away Richard Jefferson and a bunch of other players you guys have now. What a waste for the Rockets, they could be a lot better with Richard Jefferson on that team.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
He has declined, when offered the opportunity, to commit to another season with the Wolves. It may be a negotiating tactic, but he hasnt said "I want to be a Timberwolve" next year [or Timberwolf for that matter].

He is a restricted free agent [why he is not unrestricted is beyond me]. He only signed a one year deal at league minimum. And he is still VERY young. He is only a year older than Krstic.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NetIncome said:
He has declined, when offered the opportunity, to commit to another season with the Wolves. It may be a negotiating tactic, but he hasnt said "I want to be a Timberwolve" next year [or Timberwolf for that matter].

He is a restricted free agent [why he is not unrestricted is beyond me]. He only signed a one year deal at league minimum. And he is still VERY young. He is only a year older than Krstic.
Hmm, well I think the Wolves will have some issues. Sammy and Spree may need new contracts, they might want to bring in a piece with their MLE, or will he take up their MLE in a match?

-Petey

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
A young guy with those strengths is worth the MLE...

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Anyone talking about my main man Eddie :clap:
Like Mchale said, Griffin is an AWSOME rebounder and defender (very versatile on D too) and could have been a great bench player for the Nets (not consistent enough for a starter). He has a tremendous talent- extremely athletic and has good touch from outside. He won't sign with us and that's a shame.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts