Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Tru Warier
13,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this poll's been done before, but let's do it again anyway!

What I see as main +'s for each:

Sportsnet - Regional Coverage, Lots and lots of hockey, Jack Armstrong (Hello!)

TSN - First Canadian sports channel, Coverage of most big events

Score - Up to the minute sports ticker, And1 Mix Tour, NBA Draft (this past yr anyway)

I've stopped watching TSN and Score for awhile until recently (subscribed to cable package to watch Euro 2004), and I've been finding myself watching TSN much more than Sportsnet. But then again it's summer, and you can't beat the 200 or sumthing NBA games Sportsnet has with all 4 regions. Now if only they get rid of that blackout for some Raptors games....

Oops I forgot to add a poll... mods help pls :)

·
Registered
510 Posts
I love TSN. Because it's our first sports station, and that forever will be meaningful. Plus it's the only station in Canada that airs WWE Raw. That's many good years of entertaiment for me.

But Sportnet is the best sports station in Canada right now. They show most of the Raptor games. And more basketball than any other canadian channel

·
Bulls/Chisox Fan
1,504 Posts
I watch all three whenever I do watch tv.. switiching back and forth all the time.. Score is really up and coming for basketball which I like.. I've watched TSN since i was like 3 though so that gets the sentimental vote..

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
<B>Sportsnet -- </B>

<I>The Good</I>
Great sports coverage outside of hockey; they cover basketball, soccer, football, other sports in depth.

<I>The Bad</I>
The Sportsnetnews personalities arn't all that great. When I watch the Sportsnetnews I feel as if the people that are carrying the show are on their first day at the job.

<B>TSN -- </B>

<I>The Good</I>
SportsCentre has a very talented team hosts. They are very professional - comapred to Sportsnetnews.

<I>The Bad</I>
At the beginning of every SportsCentre its hockey this, hockey that. Who the hell cares? I watch SportsCentre a couple of times and it makes me sick how many times they start the show off with hockey. Hockey isn't a bad sport, but start the show with something else once in a while.

<B>The Score-- </B>

<I>The Good</I>
The ticker - good info, 24/7.

<I>The Bad</I>
The ticker - I hate seeing the big ticker during live games (ie., Raptors). They should have a mini-ticker during live events, and the full ticker during the news.

That's my 2 cents worth.

·
Fear The Red
8,910 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Slasher</b>!
<B>Sportsnet -- </B>

<I>The Good</I>
Great sports coverage outside of hockey; they cover basketball, soccer, football, other sports in depth.

<I>The Bad</I>
The Sportsnetnews personalities arn't all that great. When I watch the Sportsnetnews I feel as if the people that are carrying the show are on their first day at the job.

<B>TSN -- </B>

<I>The Good</I>
SportsCentre has a very talented team hosts. They are very professional - comapred to Sportsnetnews.

<I>The Bad</I>
At the beginning of every SportsCentre its hockey this, hockey that. Who the hell cares? I watch SportsCentre a couple of times and it makes me sick how many times they start the show off with hockey. Hockey isn't a bad sport, but start the show with something else once in a while.

<B>The Score-- </B>

<I>The Good</I>
The ticker - good info, 24/7.

<I>The Bad</I>
The ticker - I hate seeing the big ticker during live games (ie., Raptors). They should have a mini-ticker during live events, and the full ticker during the news.

That's my 2 cents worth.

100% agree

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
To me TSN is the best for sports. Although they do not show many Raptors games they usually show the big matchups. also like it was mentioned before there announcers are not annoying like Sportsnet.

THe score is great for results but there coverage sucks. I watch one Expos game and i had to turn the channel after one inning the annoucer was so annoying.

Sportsnet shows some good stuff but i don't like how they do not have the NFl, CFL and they lack NHL. As for the guy saying that TSN shows too much hockey, they are suppose to not that many people care about the Raptors Canada is a hockey Country of course they will start off with Hockey. For some reason my Sportsnet reception is not that good, it gets fuzzy sometimes and that is the only channel that has that problem.

Overall i have to give it to TSN cause they have the best Analysts and show the NFL and CFL. Marty York of Sportsnet is the worst when it comes to rumours they NEVER EVER HAPPEN.

·
Tru Warier
13,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We do have Don Taylor reporting the news at night for Sportsnet in the West. He's been around as a sports news anchor in Vancouver for the longest time, and is definately one of the best. But yah Mike Toff and the rest seem to always go off topic, and most of the time it ain't even funny...

And I disagree with those who say Sportsnet don't have enough hockey - The Hockey Panel with Nick Kypreyos, John Garrett and co. are on like everyday, at least twice!! And even though I don't agree with a lot of the stuff they say I still find them very entertaining. And Marty York's got the hottest rumours in the CFL.

And TSN doesn't just cover too much hockey - they cover too much Leafs, and we in the west coast HATE that... back in the days TSN was much more a national network, now it's very geared towards a Toronto audience.

·
Registered
33 Posts
whats with marty york covering nba stuff these days, I find that annoying he doesnt know anything bout basketball period. I mean,ex: recently my sources tell me that vince carter is upset about the fronto ffice situation: no **** son!, next he will says omething like:, sources tell me that toronto is very interested in pursuing fellow canadian jamaal maagloire,. According to ":torontoraptors:' " sources, alvin williams will be packaged along with milt polacio along with 1 trojan codom for jamaal maagloire and a condiitonal third round draft pick.

·
Tru Warier
13,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by <b>dork2</b>!
whats with marty york covering nba stuff these days, I find that annoying he doesnt know anything bout basketball period. I mean,ex: recently my sources tell me that vince carter is upset about the fronto ffice situation: no **** son!, next he will says omething like:, sources tell me that toronto is very interested in pursuing fellow canadian jamaal maagloire,. According to ":torontoraptors:' " sources, alvin williams will be packaged along with milt polacio along with 1 trojan codom for jamaal maagloire and a condiitonal third round draft pick.
LOL that's why I specified he has the best rumours for CFL, not NBA... his source from the Raptors is probably the towel manager

·
The Future is Here
3,563 Posts
It really depends all on the what sports you guys like. For me its basketball and soccer, so Sportsnet is where its at, they show around 2-3 premiership game every Saturday and all of Canada's concacaf qualifying games(even though Canada sucks). And Sportsnet West has a lot of La Liga Games. Even though TSN broadcast Euro 2004, their analysts dude just plained out sucked, at least Sportsnet got Craig Forrest, who was probably Canada's best ever GK.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Original ScarFace</b>!
Even though TSN broadcast Euro 2004, their analysts dude just plained out sucked, at least Sportsnet got Craig Forrest, who was probably Canada's best ever GK.
No way is Craig Forrest a better soccer analyst than TSN's Dick Howard. Dick has been covering the soccer scene for over 10 years - Europe and the Americas - and before that played professionally as a goalkeeper. Craig Forrest is a good analyst, but he is much younger than Dick, and heck he just stopped playing a couple of years back.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Slasher</b>!
<B>Sportsnet -- </B>

<I>The Bad</I>
The sportsnetnews hosts are by far the best in the business. who wants to watch a bunch of "professional" (boring) people read off the news to you? The sportsnet crew is funny and make the morning sports update far more entertaining than the TSN crew

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Originally posted by <b>AdamIllman</b>!

The sportsnetnews hosts are by far the best in the business. who wants to watch a bunch of "professional" (boring) people read off the news to you? The sportsnet crew is funny and make the morning sports update far more entertaining than the TSN crew

exactly...we dont wanna see "professional" casters

Mike Toth got fired from TSN for being too serious, then he went to SportsnetNews and just started to act a fool...and we love him for that, hes one of the funniest in the business

·
Premium Member
17,636 Posts
Sportsnet shows the most variety of sports.
The Score has the best post game coverage.
TSN shows way too much hockey, but they always broadcast the biggest events.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts