Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.catamountcountry.com/?articles&art=365

Colchester, VT (March 13, 2006) - After spending the last year playing for the elite basketball team AEK in Greece, University of Vermont legend Taylor Coppenrath will return to his home state this summer to host his first annual Taylor Coppenrath Summer Slam Basketball Camp at Colchester High School from July 31st through August 4th.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Q1. Good for him, but I have one question: Can someone in his early 20s be a legend?

Q2. How can something be the "First Annual"?
Fair questions.

A1. while this sort of hyperbolic overexaggeration is all too common in a general way, I do think that in this case it's merited. Taylor can reasonably be called a legend in the annals of Vermont basketball.

A2. I think the use of "first annual" is to show the intention to make this camp the first of many years... a perennial, if you like, instead of a one-time thing.

but I'm all for continued vigilance in the language use dept.!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I've already signed my son up. I love the format.
There's a lot of camps where they just hammer the kids all day. This camp seems set up to improve skill, play a lot of ball, but not have the kids so trashed they can't see straight at the end.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
“I have learned from some of the top basketball coaches in the world and I look forward to an exciting week of camp back in Vermont.”
The next sentence was inadvertently delted...

"Former UVM coaches Tom Brennan and Jesse Agel are also expected to be guest speakers at the camp. Brennan will entertain campers with his wonderful story telling abilities, and Agel will talk about his successful post-UVM basketball career."

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Agel will be at the camp, as it is being held at his "home court" at Colchester HS and you know, this camp was scheduled on the same week as Lonergan's UVM camp...somehow I don't see that as a mistake either.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Maybe Agel would do that, but would Taylor?? Doesn't strike me as that kind of guy. Although I don't know him personally.

Before anyone jumps to any conclusions, UVM is having two weeks of boys and two weeks of
girls basketball camps. Taylor's camp is co-ed. What are the chances of missing all of those weeks?
There are only 9 weeks of summer. No one likes to do camps July 4th week, or after the first week of August leaving 6 weeks of traditional camp season.
Here's the schedule from http://www.uvm.edu/~sportspr/?Page=camps.html&SM=communitymenu.html

Boy's Basketball Day Camp | More Information (.pdf) June 19-23
Boy's Basketball Day Camp | More Information (.pdf) July 31-August 4
Girl's Basketball Overnight Camp | More Information (.pdf) June 23-25
Girl's Basketball Day Camp | More Information (.pdf) June 26-30
Girl's Basketball Team Camp | More Information (.pdf) August 4-6

FWIW, I can't guarantee it wasn't done on purpose. Just doing the math.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Just thought some of you would like to know, Taylor's camp was pretty cool.
I may be prejudiced since I got to coach, but it was very skills oriented and a lot of fun.
My son loved it.

Jesse Agel came by to say hi exactly once, two days after he got the job at Brown, (There goes that conspiracy theory).
TB was a guest speaker, as was coach O'Shea from St. Mikes, TJ Sorrentine and Jawad Williams (UNC/Spurs).
All the speakers told the kids the right stuff. Work hard, be a good team mate, appreciate those around you and always believe in yourself.

Taylor was there all day, every day. He worked with every single camper. I started the week with a lot of respect for him and finished with even more. Gotta love a whole week of basketball... :biggrin:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.