Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Some interesting observations......

Note: As well, he may just have a point about the roving sideline reporters:

Is there anything -- other than a leather helmet -- more outmoded in football than a sideline reporter? Ugh. What a waste of time. The epitome of that is the Fox experiment of putting one-time lineman Tony Siragusa on the sidelines.
The man just sort of hangs out with nothing to do. When asked for comment, he's usually at a loss. I believe the best thing they could do with him is put him in a clown suit with a rubber ball on his nose. If it walks like a clown and talks like a clown, it's a clown.

·
Registered
9,192 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ABM</b>!

Some interesting observations......

Note: As well, he may just have a point about the roving sideline reporters:
Having done sideline reporting, I can tell you it's more of a pain then you can imagine.

At least with Fox and the bigger networks the sideline reporters can hear what the play-by-play team is doing. When I was doing sideline reporting, all I had was a wireless mic, and nothing else. I'd have to keep an eye on the broadcast team, because every once in a while they'd point to me, and I'd have to talk about something. If there was an injury or something, then it would be obvious what I was going to talk about, but other times, I just had to make some stupid observations, like how one team wore all black shoes and blue headbands.

Sideline reporting in basketball I think is probably more useful then it is in football though.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Sideline reporters are much more effective in basketball. But a GOOD sideline reporter in football can do a lot too. I happen to think Suzi Kolber does a great job on the sideline for ESPN's Sunday night NFL. She always adds to the game and was only a distraction when Joe Namath thought he might get a kiss. UGH. But I love what a sideline reporter can add to the coverage if the sideline reporter has the right skills!

HeartotemptYou, I know it is good experience, etc. but I would NEVER do sideline without being able to hear what the play by play announcer and analyst are saying. Nothing good can come for that other than making you look like you don't have a clue! It isn't just the big networks that have that capability, anyone that is broadcasting a game should have that capability or not use a sideline reporter for anything other than interviews. YIKES. When I did High School Football games back in the early 80s, our sideline guy could hear the announcers and we pieced the remote facilities together from just about nothing... Yes, I know I am OLD.

Speaking of OLD, maybe OLD Dwight Jaynes should be careful who he calls old and past their time, he isn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed - but he certainly is one of the MOST CRUSTY!

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by <b>Gym Rat</b>!

....OLD Dwight Jaynes should be careful who he calls old and past their time, he isn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed - but he certainly is one of the MOST CRUSTY!
Crusty? Heh, heh....I've heard that term used recently. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts