Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure how many posters on here go back far enough to remember Ryan Butt (BU '04). Butt was a 6'8" 260-280 (depending on what he ate) center for the Great BU teams of the early 2000's - a guy whose production and contributions were a lot bigger than his numbers: Tough center who had great low post moves and could step out and knock it down from outside, gamer, and a big time player despite not looking the part.

After BU Butt went back home to his native Pennsylvania and became a Math teacher, before taking over as head coach at Donegal High School six years ago. Butt took over a pretty abysmal program, and completely turned them around: Right now the Donegal Indians are a perfect 20-0 and close to clinching their first sectional title since 1983!

Just thought I'd pass that along.

A couple articles on them: http://lancasteronline.com/article/...egal-boys-to-win-over-Lampeter-Strasburg.html

http://lancasteronline.com/article/...uccess-on-the-court-and-in-the-classroom.html

·
The Invisible Iron Fist
1,253 Posts
Not sure how many posters on here go back far enough to remember Ryan Butt (BU '04). Butt was a 6'8" 260-280 (depending on what he ate) center for the Great BU teams of the early 2000's - a guy whose production and contributions were a lot bigger than his numbers: Tough center who had great low post moves and could step out and knock it down from outside, gamer, and a big time player despite not looking the part.

After BU Butt went back home to his native Pennsylvania and became a Math teacher, before taking over as head coach at Donegal High School six years ago. Butt took over a pretty abysmal program, and completely turned them around: Right now the Donegal Indians are a perfect 20-0 and close to clinching their first sectional title since 1983!

Just thought I'd pass that along.

A couple articles on them: http://lancasteronline.com/article/...egal-boys-to-win-over-Lampeter-Strasburg.html

http://lancasteronline.com/article/...uccess-on-the-court-and-in-the-classroom.html
You know I go back that far ;)

Thanks for the update! I always enjoyed Ryan's game and effort, and it's nice to see him succeeding post-BU.

·
Premium Member
33,203 Posts
Great for him, glad to see he's enjoying his life and becoming a successful basketball game.

Of course I remember Ryan Butt, he was one of the Terriers better players on those teams UVM had to go through to make the NCAA Tournament. I still remember the 2002-03 title game like it was yesterday.

Anyways, Butt was always a solid player and I appreciated his game quite a bit. Glad to see he's doing well.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Donegal High moves to 21-0 tonight.... Pretty remarkable run for a team that only won a handful of games before Butt took over.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I watched Butt play a good game against St. Joe's, the best team to come to our campus in many years and probably many years to come

·
The Invisible Iron Fist
1,253 Posts
I watched Butt play a good game against St. Joe's, the best team to come to our campus in many years and probably many years to come
That was the Nelson/West team right? My memory of that game is Delonte torching us, while Nelson was contained pretty well. Cool to have seen them in Case.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
That was the Nelson/West team right? My memory of that game is Delonte torching us, while Nelson was contained pretty well. Cool to have seen them in Case.
Yep, Delonte had 20.

Butt scored 20 points "all the while playing most of the second half with a broken nose, suffered when he was hit in the face by an errant elbow."

http://www.goterriers.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/112503aad.html

Obviously, that team went on to hold a #1 ranking for some time. Very cool to see them at Case!

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That was a GAME. BU took a st joes squad that would go through the regular season undefeated and rank #1 in the nation to the limit. It was one of those games that st joes never fully felt safe in.

Butt was the best player on the floor that night - scored 20 and dominated future nba center Dwayne jones. I remember butt getting his nose broken on a vicious elbow to the face, going to the bench, shoving some gaus in it and returning to the court.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just wanted to provide an update:

Donegal High is now ranked 2nd in the State of Pennsylvania and takes the court tonight in the Final Four of the State Tournament. Donegal has only advanced this far once before in program history - in 1955 - and has never reached the Championship Game...

Safe to say Butt has done a pretty darn good job at Donegal High. Maybe some AE schools or former AE schools should consider taking a look at him... good coaches - especially good big man coaches - are hard to find...

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Just wanted to provide an update:

Donegal High is now ranked 2nd in the State of Pennsylvania and takes the court tonight in the Final Four of the State Tournament. Donegal has only advanced this far once before in program history - in 1955 - and has never reached the Championship Game...

Safe to say Butt has done a pretty darn good job at Donegal High. Maybe some AE schools or former AE schools should consider taking a look at him... good coaches - especially good big man coaches - are hard to find...

My 2 cents.

Thanks for this update. Glad to hear his team is still on a roll!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts