· Registered
1,659 Posts
NU Hoop Fan said:
Wow, someone pinch me.

George Freaking Mason.

The CAA in the Final Four.

(and another $1.0 million for the CAA)
That's why we're all mid-major hoop fans...that game right there

UConn was vulnerable right from the very start of the tournament and Mason finally finished the deal when Albany, UK, and UW couldn't. Ironically, UConn played better in this game than the previous tourney games and still lost.

It was one of the most amazing games in NCAA tournament history, and it wasn't like UConn sucked in this one. UConn played well but Mason beat them in a true heavyweight fight.

· Registered
1,812 Posts
And to have it happen against the semi-professional squad masquerading as college students at my home state's flagship university led by Mr. Arrogance himself makes it even sweeter!!! Sports talk radio will be unbelieveable around here tomorrow!!

I watched bits and pieces of the game. The remote was in overdrive with the Maine-Michigan State hockey game and the Minnesota-Wisconsin national championship game in the Women's Frozen Four. But I was starting to wonder how many lives that freaking UConn cat had! I can believe how many bullets they dodged this tournament.

· Registered
2,644 Posts
GMU is the better team. They deserved to win the whole way. They have great balance and played as a more cohesive unit than UConn did.

I wouldn't be shocked if they won it all. Their guards are smart and crafty. Their inside players get the job done, and they all play as a team.

· Registered
9,809 Posts
Will said:
GMU is the better team. They deserved to win the whole way. They have great balance and played as a more cohesive unit than UConn did.

I wouldn't be shocked if they won it all. Their guards are smart and crafty. Their inside players get the job done, and they all play as a team.
I agree that they can win it all......it's shocking that we can say that with a straight face.

· Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How many teams is the CAA going to get into the NCAA's, Jeff? ;)

The CAA has a team...

In the NIT Final Four (ODU)

In the NCAA Final Four (GMU)

In the Pre Season NIT Final Four (Drexel)

Wow.

And with the additional money from the NCAA run by Mason, I think NU and Hofstra now have a smidge more money in the athletic department budgets for travel in the CAA. By my calcs, Mason's 4 wins, are worth $170K per year for 6 years. So that's an ADDITIONAL $4.1 million to the CAA over a 6 year period, and that doesn't factor in that the CAA could get 2 teams in next year as well.

· Registered
2,605 Posts
The thing that really is amazing about Mason is the way they've taken it to teams late in the game. Typically when you see an "upset" by a mid-major over a major, you see the mid-major jump out to a big lead and then hang on for dear life. Not so with George Mason

They played even with Michigan State for 33 minutes, then outscored them 24-13 over the last 6 and 1/2 for a 10 point win.

They got smoked out of the gate by UNC and were down 16-2 -- then outscored the Tar Heels 63-44 the rest of the way.

They were down 9 to UConn at the half and outscored them 40-31 in the second half.

The win was especially pleasing after Gregg Doyel's article about how there was no way Mason could beat Connecticut.

Much as I hate to give the CAA even more credit, it's worth pointing out that they could have had 2 teams in the NIT final four if the brackets hadn't pitted Hofstra against ODU in the round of 8. The CAA's only loss in the post-season to a non-CAA team was when UNCW pulled the El Foldo against GWU after building an 18 point lead in that game.

· Registered
853 Posts
And in Puerto Rico, the attention is magnified because for the first time in 17 years at least a 'Rican-bred player is going to be in a team playing in the NCAA Finals.

George Mason has a stud in #50 Sammy Hernández and Florida has David Huertas and Walter Hodge, Jr. The last player from Puerto rico to play in a Final was Ramón Ramos for Seton Hall and P.J. Carlessimo in 1989.

The last time three Puerto Rican players played in a Final Four was in 1996. That was the year John Calipari took U. Mass to the semifinals, with the backcourt of Carmelo Travieso, Edgar Padilla and his brother Gidell (now a sports agent salivating to sign J.J. Barea).

For all the detractors of the CAA, now we see that Northeastern's move paid off.

· Registered
280 Posts
That was a really fantastic game. Gongrats to all the NU posters and the CAA. It made my day (although it killed by bracket as I had UConn going all the way--but I don't care) to see a mid-major stick it one of the big boys. It was a great win. Now on to the national championship!

· Premium Member
34,581 Posts
I wonder how Hofstra is feeling today.

I also gotta wonder how Anthony Roberson and Matt Walsh are feeling today. They both leave Florida early for the NBA, neither are in the NBA, and the team they left is much better without them.

· Registered
2,201 Posts
bosiydid said:
How big would it be for a mid-major to win the whole thing? Has it ever happened?
I'm not sure if it has actually happened. I know Larry Bird took Indiana State to the National Championship game (only to lose to Magic Johnson's Michigan State). Also I know San Francisco won a couple national titles a long time ago.. however I don't think they were considered mid-major at the time (they had Bill Russell on their team).

· Registered
1,939 Posts
Holy Cross, 1947 (with Bob Cousy), City College of NY, 1950 (AND the NIT, before a point-shaving scandal), LaSalle, 1954, San Francisco 1955 and '56, Loyola (Chi.) 1963

Only eight teams for HC and CCNY, sixteen teams in the 50s.

All-time results

· The Invisible Iron Fist
1,253 Posts
First of all, Congrats to GMU!!!

Amazing!

bosiydid said:
How big would it be for a mid-major to win the whole thing? Has it ever happened?
This would be amazing. It will certainly be a boost to mid-major programs and will start scaring the big boys. If they can do it, it will give hope to every team that enters the tournament. :banana: :gbanana:

· Registered
2,340 Posts
Wow, what a game! I was at the Verizon Center, 3 rows behind the UConn band. Anyway, when UConn tied it up to go to OT, I really thought the Huskies were going to pull it out. Give Mason all the credit in the world they went right at UConn and they couldn't be stopped. I was amazed how bad UConn's defense was.

It was a well deserved win for GMU and I just hope TV did it justice - it was truly a home game for GMU. That is not an excuse for UConn, just a reality of how about 13k of the 18k on hand were actively rooting for George Mason - it was pretty crazy and very loud.

The money aside, this puts the CAA on a new level. Congrats to the team and the conference. And for everyone (including myself) who may have doubted or at least questioned NU's move to a historically southern-based league - I think the answer is clear now. Good move, NUHF enjoy this!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.