Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In honor of it being mentioned in the UVM arena thread, let's discuss.

1) UVM sucks again. Will they finally let Sneddon go? Probably not.
2) Will Maine finish over .500 and fire their coach? Probably.
3) Lowell, I assume they're good. UNH, I assume they're better, because I know who the worst AE rep in the league is.
4) Women's teams? UVM...might be a darkhorse top 4-5?

·
Comrade Fox
1,826 Posts
That UVM women's team is just plain fun. Last weekend @ Merrimack two players tied the program record for points in a game (Sini Karjalainen and Val Caldwell, both with 4) and last night Maude Poulin-Labelle became the first defender in program history to score a hatty. Their one loss was to BC in a game that was actually quite even and I think UVM actually outshot BC in.

The men's team is the antithesis of fun. Kinda glad that they're paywalled now after I've graduated via CBS All Access, so I don't have 'free access' as justification for wasting my time watching them get pummeled every weekend.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sneddon will finally be let go this year. I’m hoping by Xmas break, but unlikely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Schulman seems fully ready to die on the "Kevin Sneddon is the man to lead our hockey program" hill in the face of tons of evidence to the contrary on ice and off it, so I'd bank on an extension before Christmas.

Right now even factoring their season going in the tank I think it's 65-35 in favor of him being handed a new deal. They'll claim that doing a coaching search would cost too much time and then talk about how he's got all this incoming talent coming in (when results show that's generally overblown or a lie), probably use any construction cost overrun to say they can't afford it, and of course "we need to see how he'll perform in the new facility" which since they got it approved has seemed like their plan for action. Also, wouldn't put it past the admins being too scared they'll botch the search so stick with what you know and deal with the losses in hopes that maybe they'll finish mid pack one year.

I hope I'm wrong. I think more people are turning to the get rid of him camp. Of course, it's about the people who "matter" and whether they want him gone. Seems like Ted Ryan is even mailing it in covering this team's losses now.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know nothing about hockey, but would Martin St. Louis want to coach UVM?
Nah. I think coaching would be a pay cut from doing nothing and enjoying his career earnings. Plus, his son is going to be playing at Northeastern in a couple of seasons so he probably just wants to be a hockey dad for a bit.

There's tons of qualified people for it. If they made a move they'd get some high level people wanting it. Power conference, there is good tradition, and outside Maine might have the best support from the community in the entire conference, and when good I'd put the fan support among the best in all of college hockey. Plus, location and even with basketball being as good as it is, a good hockey team is king and gets more attention locally. Drawbacks are yes they don't have their very own strength room or a practice rink but, neither do a lot of championship caliber college hockey teams. Pay isn't the highest, but it's competitive and any new coach probably starts at 275-315k per year, assistant coaching budget isn't terrible, but some new buzz could generate an endowment fund for the coaching position which would bump that budget up a lot...basketball is reaping the rewards of that, and it's not just because Cioffi would have given it either way...he did it because yes he's a fan, but also because it's helped keep Becker here for the last 2-3 seasons, too. Sneddon might have the donors ears, but none of them are stepping up to endow his position and there's a reason for that.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I’m not much of a hockey fan and it’s still really early but women’s team has been enjoyable so far. I hope they can keep it up, although schedule will get harder.

Also, it’s 5 bucks to get in, so I think we know which team delivers better value for the money. Good option for families with younger kids. Inexpensive and plenty of room for them to run around.

I haven’t been to a men’s game in several years and at this stage would probably prefer televised curling.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
In honor of it being mentioned in the UVM arena thread, let's discuss.

1) UVM sucks again. Will they finally let Sneddon go? Probably not.
2) Will Maine finish over .500 and fire their coach? Probably.
3) Lowell, I assume they're good. UNH, I assume they're better, because I know who the worst AE rep in the league is.
4) Women's teams? UVM...might be a darkhorse top 4-5?
Maine won't fire Gendron unless its a disaster this year. The University of Maine can be found in your local library's card catalog under "As a joke, broke".

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maine won't fire Gendron unless its a disaster this year. The University of Maine can be found in your local library's card catalog under "As a joke, broke".
Yes, but seems a lot of your fans would prefer the corpse of Shawn Walsh to be coaching over literally anyone else. Not counting the bottoming out after firing Whitehead (who still has better career numbers than Sneddon does), last few years seem to be pointing in the right direction for Maine. I'd expect a similar finish from them this year, but eventually gotta break into that top 4 and get a NCAA bid somewhere. Must be nice to be in that situation, and not talking about "will the team finish above 8th place."

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Yes, but seems a lot of your fans would prefer the corpse of Shawn Walsh to be coaching over literally anyone else. Not counting the bottoming out after firing Whitehead (who still has better career numbers than Sneddon does), last few years seem to be pointing in the right direction for Maine. I'd expect a similar finish from them this year, but eventually gotta break into that top 4 and get a NCAA bid somewhere. Must be nice to be in that situation, and not talking about "will the team finish above 8th place."
I don't deny that the fans want a change. The university can't afford the buyout.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Big weekend for Lowell at UVM. Can't afford to give any points to a struggling Catamounts team.

My guess is Sneddon will be let go when his contract is up, there's really no reason to allow him to continue to lead a bottomfeeder program. If it happens I'll be interested to see what direction UVM is able to pursue. With the current state of the program I am unsure they have the gravitas to poach an AHA/ECAC coach or even a highly renowned assistant.

I'd love to see them take Barr away from UMass, but my guess is he is waiting for the Providence job to open up (UConn is my dark horse for Barr, but not sure their AD values hockey enough to let go of Cav who has led that program no where since being hired).

My actual guess would be Appert from the USNTDP. His time at RPI is a mixed bag, but the guy can recruit and imo deserves another chance at a school where the admin aren't actively trying to sink the program

·
Comrade Fox
1,826 Posts
Big weekend for Lowell at UVM. Can't afford to give any points to a struggling Catamounts team.

My guess is Sneddon will be let go when his contract is up, there's really no reason to allow him to continue to lead a bottomfeeder program. If it happens I'll be interested to see what direction UVM is able to pursue. With the current state of the program I am unsure they have the gravitas to poach an AHA/ECAC coach or even a highly renowned assistant.

I'd love to see them take Barr away from UMass, but my guess is he is waiting for the Providence job to open up (UConn is my dark horse for Barr, but not sure their AD values hockey enough to let go of Cav who has led that program no where since being hired).

My actual guess would be Appert from the USNTDP. His time at RPI is a mixed bag, but the guy can recruit and imo deserves another chance at a school where the admin aren't actively trying to sink the program
I'm not sure on Appert's X's and O's, but hiring from the NTDP would at least give the program a huge boost of credibility which it badly needs

1 - 18 of 18 Posts