Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Basketball Hall Of Fame) on his first opportunity??!! Dude is a basketball icon and WAS the Atlanta Hawks during his career! 9th all-time in scoring. NBA all-1st team, many, many all-star games, etc., etc., etc.

In fact, I believe he was better than Pippen and SHOULD have been included on the NBA's 50 greatest players list.

I have no idea what the basketball writers were thinking in keeping 'Nique off during his 1st ballot chance, yet voting Adrian Dantley on instead.

I'm sure we'll all be hearing more about this (obvious) travesty in the not-too-distant future.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
I like Nique as much as the next guy, but he wasn't better than Pippen.

Offensively? Yah. But everywhere else? no.

I think he wasn't in because of the old "he didn't win a title" and the stigma of being just a 'scorer'.

He should've made it, imho.

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hap said:
I like Nique as much as the next guy, but he wasn't better than Pippen..
Hey, let's just say that coat-tails wasn't nearly as good as much as........ohhh....he was...........fortunate. ;)

However, I'll give you THIS to chew on... :)

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Yeah, I think Wilkins absolutely deserves the Hall of Fame, for his incredible scoring ability. But he wasn't better than Pippen, who was a fine scorer himself (though not in Wilkins' class) and also was a great play-maker and arguably the best perimeter defender ever. Pippen was a great all-around player.

Wilkins is not a top-tier Hall of Famer, because he was very one-dimensional and lost impact as he lost his athleticism. But he is a Hall of Famer. Therefore, I don't think it's a travesty that he failed to make it on the first ballot, but I will think it crazy if he never makes it at all.

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Minstrel said:
Yeah, I think Wilkins absolutely deserves the Hall of Fame, for his incredible scoring ability. But he wasn't better than Pippen, who was a fine scorer himself (though not in Wilkins' class) and also was a great play-maker and arguably the best perimeter defender ever. Pippen was a great all-around player.

Wilkins is not a top-tier Hall of Famer, because he was very one-dimensional and lost impact as he lost his athleticism. But he is a Hall of Famer. Therefore, I don't think it's a travesty that he failed to make it on the first ballot, but I will think it crazy if he never makes it at all.

See my (recently added) link, above. Never say I'm not fair and balanced. :D

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
ABM said:
Hey, let's just say that coat-tails wasn't nearly as good as much as........ohhh....he was...........fortunate. ;)
I dont know if Pippen rode coat-tails as much as people like to stroll that out. For starters, he took a Bulls team with basically Pippen and Kukoc to the Semi's, and were, iirc, 1 game from the ECF's. He was a great player (not stat wise) while a Blazer too.

I think you could say Kobe coat-tailed more than Pippen did. Pippen shot pretty damn good the year Jordan was gone. Kobe hasn't.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Hap said:
I dont know if Pippen rode coat-tails as much as people like to stroll that out. For starters, he took a Bulls team with basically Pippen and Kukoc to the Semi's, and were, iirc, 1 game from the ECF's.
Yeah, that Bulls team also won 55 games. They won 58 the year before, with Jordan also on the team. Pippen led them to only falling off by three games despite the team losing Jordan in exchange for nothing.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Did you ever consider that the WRITERS are stupid?

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
RedHot&Rolling said:
Did you ever consider that the WRITERS are stupid?
well, we do have quick and canzano..so even if the writers across the country are 1000x better, they're stupid.

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Minstrel said:
Yeah, that Bulls team also won 55 games. They won 58 the year before, with Jordan also on the team. Pippen led them to only falling off by three games despite the team losing Jordan in exchange for nothing.
(....resting on my innate ability to call out various people without actually calling them out...this oughta evolve into a hearty and healthy thread before it finally falls to rest.... ;))

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
ABM said:
See my (recently added) link, above. Never say I'm not fair and balanced. :D
Yeah, but that "coat-tails" remark. Now that's quite vexing!

Jordan never won anything without Pippen. And Pippen got further without Jordan and Jordan got without Pippen.

Perhaps Jordan rode Pippen's coat-tails. :banana:

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
ABM said:
(....resting on my innate ability to call out various people without actually calling them out...this oughta evolve into a hearty and healthy thread before it finally falls to rest.... ;))
As per my next post, you are explicitly called out. Let me put it this way: Wilkins would have made a nice sixth man for the Jordan-Pippen Bulls.

Well, he and Kukoc could have split that duty.

Take that. ;)

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Minstrel said:
As per my next post, you are explicitly called out. Let me put it this way: Wilkins would have made a nice sixth man for the Jordan-Pippen Bulls.

Well, he and Kukoc could have split that duty.

Take that. ;)
I'm just glad that you're officially off the IR. :clap:

OK, OK.....I'll acquiesce and just stick to my initial position.

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Hap said:
well, we do have quick and canzano..so even if the writers across the country are 1000x better, they're stupid.
Burn! :eek:nfire:

·
Registered
841 Posts
Nique definitely will get into the hall eventually but I don't think there's anything wrong with him missing out this time.

He could score but he never once made any of his teammates better and many of his shots were forces. He was just a far far superior athlete than anyone else was at the time and it was also before teams really started focusing on defense.

Hall of Famer - Yes. A travesty that he didn't get in first try - not at all.

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
Pieces of John Hollinger story today on ESPN.com:

Included among the Pantheon are a plethora of NCAA coaches who never got near the national title game, let alone won it. But if you're an NBA coach, winning a title is the minimum standard, and even then it's no guarantee (just ask Bill Fitch or Dick Motta). Since 1997, exactly five pro coaches have been elected into the Hall of Fame, one of whom (Larry Brown) probably would have been stiffed if he hadn't also won an NCAA title. In that same span, the Hall honored 16 NCAA coaches– nine from the men's game and seven from the women's game.

Since 1997, only 19 have been inducted, and most weren't even NBA players. Of the 19, 10 never played in the NBA (mostly because they were women or international players). So only nine NBA players have been inducted, versus 16 college coaches. At this rate, Jim Harrick has a better shot at induction than Joe Dumars does.

This year's class illustrated how hard it is for NBA players to get selected and how easy it is for college coaches. Jim Calhoun is 18th on the NCAA's win list – he's in. Dominique Wilkins is ninth on the NBA's all-time scoring list – he's out. Dennis Johnson was the best player on an NBA championship team – no thanks. Jim Boeheim was the coach of an NCAA champion – step right in.

The Wilkins snub is especially galling. While leaving him off the list of the Top 50 players five years ago was something of an oversight, this slight goes beyond absurd. Look at any other sport, and find the player who is ranked ninth all time in any major category: hits, touchdown passes, goals, whatever. Unless he's Pete Rose, his mug shot is on a plaque.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts