Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
81 - 100 of 398 Posts

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Unless it's a blatant hack job, I'm not a fan of that call. Was it a foul? Yeah, probably. But the reality is, the guy secured a rebound with .9 seconds to go, back to his basket, 85 feet from his hoop. Was he in any position to score or end the game? No. Now, if he's clobbered, absolutely, you have to call it. But to have a no call on the Bean shot and then call that, I really do have an issue with that. Should have been a no-call, let the game go into OT.
Agreed. If they don't make a single call in that last sequence, game goes to OT and nobody really has a complaint. Especially in a situation like that: I feel like the loose ball foul gets whistled too often for ticky-tacky stuff, no matter where you are in the game. It's two (or more) guys making full-speed plays on a loose ball rebound. You can't expect guys to brake in a fraction of a second once they realize they don't have possession. I don't think it would hurt to give a little more leeway there.

·
Super Moderator
6,909 Posts
I get the feeling that the dust up was more over the clock issue. After the whistle blew for a foul on the inbound and everyone started realizing the clock never moved, you could see Bennett screaming “Game’s over! Game’s over!” directly at the Utah St bench. Maybe Odom took exception to that?

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Get up everyone...tons of games on the tube starting with 6 different noon tips!! There are conference games, rivalry games, local match-ups...just a whole smorgasboard of awesomeness served to you today. I mean, you know it's a decent schedule when 2 of the major networks (Fox & CBS) are airing games. Here's the list:

FS1
Noon - St Joseph's @ #6 Villanova
2 pm - #13 Tennessee @ Colorado
4 pm - Loyola Chicago @ DePaul
9 pm - #19 Iowa State @ Creighton

FS2
Noon - Nyack College @ #25 Seton Hall
4 pm - Grambling @ #17 UConn

ESPNU
Noon - Robert Morris @ Milwaukee
2 pm - Yale @ #21 Auburn
4 pm - Penn @ Temple

ESPN2
Noon - #18 Memphis @ Ole Miss
2 pm - Louisville @ NC State
8 pm - #16 Alabama vs #3 Gonzaga (Seattle, WA)

BTN
Noon - Nebraska @ Indiana
5 pm - Toledo @ #22 Michigan State

ACCN
Noon - Clemson @ Miami
2 pm - Wake Forest @ Virginia Tech
4 pm - Syracuse @ Florida State

FOX
12:30 pm - Marquette @ #23 Wisconsin

CBS
1 pm - San Diego State @ #24 Michigan

CBSSN
2 pm - Rhode Island @ Providence
4 pm - #12 BYU @ Missouri State

SECN
4 pm - Little Rock @ #10 Arkansas

Pac-12
6 pm - #20 USC @ Washington State

A few other interesting games:

Noon - Oakland @ IUPUI (ESPN+)
1 pm start
Winthrop @ Coastal Carolina (ESPN+)
Mt St Mary's @ Loyola (ESPN+)

2 pm start
Bucknell @ Hofstra
Tennessee Tech @ Evansville (ESPN+)
Holy Cross @ LaSalle (ESPN+)
George Washington @ Charlotte (ESPN+)
Northern Illinois @ Dayton (ESPN+)

3 pm start
William & Mary @ Davidson (ESPN+)
Wright State @ Cleveland State (ESPN+)

4 pm start
Drexel @ Princeton (ESPN+)
Campbell @ VCU (ESPN+)
St Mary's @ Colorado State
Buffalo @ St Bonaventure

5 pm - Arkansas-Pine Bluff @ #4 Baylor (Big XII/ESPN+)
6 pm - Vanderbilt @ SMU (ESPN+)
6:30 pm - UAB @ St Louis (ESPN+)

7 pm start
Eastern Kentucky @ Western Kentucky (ESPN+)
Old Dominion @ George Mason (ESPN+)
Loyola Marymount @ Long Beach State (ESPN+)
Dartmouth @ Florida Gulf Coast (ESPN+)
Southern @ Akron (ESPN+)

8 pm start
Middle Tennessee @ Murray State (ESPN+)
Portland State @ Weber State (ESPN+)
Montana @ Northern Colorado (ESPN+)

10 pm - UNLV @ San Francisco

Man, the only disappointing thing on today is we almost had the complete "Battle of Philadelphia" scheduled: St Joe's @ 'Nova, Penn @ Temple...just needed Drexel & LaSalle to be matched up (both are playing).

Enjoy another great day of hoops!

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Couple of upsets yesterday among ranked teams as #3 Gonzaga lost to #16 Alabama, 91-82. Gonzaga will most likely tear through the WCC again and get to a #1 seed, but with these couple of early season losses, the targer on their back may not be as big as it has been lately. That could make Mark Few's team a little more dangerous come March Madness. Maybe this is exactly what this program needed to get over the hump? Also, #18 Memphis fell again, this time to Ole Miss. Penny Hardaway's Tigers are looking young & inexperienced early in the year, which is to be expected. I suspect they will rebound later in the year when it matters.

Moving on to today...the schedule is shorter today, as expected with the NFL ruling the airwaves. So, here are the TV games:

BTN
Noon - Northwestern @ Maryland
7:30 pm - Ohio State @ Penn State

SECN
2 pm - Georgetown @ South Carolina

ESPNU
2 pm - Minnesota @ Mississippi State
4 pm - #11 Arizona @ Oregon State
6 pm - Kansas State @ Wichita State

ESPN2
3 pm - North Carolina @ Georgia Tech
5 pm - Xavier @ Oklahoma State

Pac-12
5 pm - Cal @ Utah
7 pm - Arizona State @ Oregon

FS1
7 pm - Fordham @ St John's

A few other interesting games:

1 pm start
Fairfield @ Niagara (ESPN3)
Monmouth @ Canisius (ESPN3)

2 pm start
Richmond @ Northern Iowa (ESPN+)
Sacred Heart @ Brown (ESPN+)
Marist @ Rider (ESPN+)
Quinippiac @ Manhattan (ESPN+)
Siena @ St Peter's (ESPN3)

3 pm - Belmont @ Samford (ESPN+)
7 pm - Bryant @ Cincinnati (ESPN+)

That 3 pm UNC @ GT game might be sneaky good. I think both those teams are going to be tough.

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
There is a very limited schedule today, with no AEast games, men or women. However, prior to that, a couple of things from yesterday:

Well, UCLA got a "forfeit" win over Washington yesterday. I really don't like that but I suppose in the covid cancellation times we are in, something has to be done to differentiate teams.

Also, Northern Iowa lost at home again, this time to Richmond. It's hard to believe that their only DI win on the year is over St Bonaventure. They are now 2-5 on the year.

OK, to today's action, which only features one game on the TV tonight:

FS1
7 pm - Illinois @ Iowa

The complete list of games for tonight after that is right here:

5 pm - Millersville @ Morgan State
6 pm - Texas Southern @ #14 Florida (ESPN+)

7 pm start time
Columbia @ Colgate
Towson @ Kent State (ESPN3)
Mercer @ Coastal Carolina (ESPN+)
Voorhees @ Georgia State (ESPN+)
North Carolina Central @ The Citadel (ESPN+)
Presbyterian @ Morehead State (ESPN+)
Babson @ Harvard (ESPN+)
Delaware State @ Liberty (ESPN+)

8 pm - Alcorn State @ #15 Houston (ESPN+)
9 pm - New Mexico State @ New Mexico
10 pm - San Jose St @ Pepperdine

That's it. Interesting that New Mexico State and New Mexico are meeting again in a matter of days, completing a home & home.

If you are into women's basketball, there are 2 games on tonight:

BTN
6 pm - Penn State @ #6 Indiana
8 pm - Nebraska @ Minnesota

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Well, UCLA got a "forfeit" win over Washington yesterday. I really don't like that but I suppose in the covid cancellation times we are in, something has to be done to differentiate teams.
An added layer to this forfeit thing: I believe it was Matt Norlander who tweeted out that, in terms of NCAA Tournament selection considerations, the forfeits are being considered no-contests. The forfeits are only affecting conference standings, records. So that does take a little of the sting out of the process.

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
An added layer to this forfeit thing: I believe it was Matt Norlander who tweeted out that, in terms of NCAA Tournament selection considerations, the forfeits are being considered no-contests. The forfeits are only affecting conference standings, records. So that does take a little of the sting out of the process.
Good to know. Thank you for that tidbit of info. So I assume the forfeits will count against the W/L record for the coach? That would kinda suck unless you get credited for some wins that you most likely wouldn't have gotten.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Good to know. Thank you for that tidbit of info. So I assume the forfeits will count against the W/L record for the coach? That would kinda suck unless you get credited for some wins that you most likely wouldn't have gotten.
This is a good question, so I looked at how each school involved is handling it, and this is the answer I've come up with:

On their team schedule pages, Washington and UCLA are listed as 4-4 and 7-1, respectively. This reflects the results of games actually played on the court. However, UCLA is listed as 1-0 in the Pac-12 and Washington as 0-1 (as a result of the forfeit), even though that game is not counted elsewhere in their record.

So in terms of whether these forfeits count for/against coaches in their career records, I'd say the answer is NO, but...maybe the conference will count them in terms of a records sub-set like "Most conference wins all-time" or "overall career conference winning percentage." Or maybe not. Or maybe they will, but only because someone will forget to account for them when compiling the records, and instead add them in by accident. It's hard to say.

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
This is a good question, so I looked at how each school involved is handling it, and this is the answer I've come up with:

On their team schedule pages, Washington and UCLA are listed as 4-4 and 7-1, respectively. This reflects the results of games actually played on the court. However, UCLA is listed as 1-0 in the Pac-12 and Washington as 0-1 (as a result of the forfeit), even though that game is not counted elsewhere in their record.

So in terms of whether these forfeits count for/against coaches in their career records, I'd say the answer is NO, but...maybe the conference will count them in terms of a records sub-set like "Most conference wins all-time" or "overall career conference winning percentage." Or maybe not. Or maybe they will, but only because someone will forget to account for them when compiling the records, and instead add them in by accident. It's hard to say.
LOL, thanks. Can you imagine working in the sports information department and having to keep all this info. "So, today's forfeit counts towards our conference record, does not count towards our program's overall w/l record nor our coaches, but I do need to move it forward as a win for purposes of our conference record but not for our overall record." Got it.

Reactions: GoCatsGo

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Previously winless Texas Southern beat #20 Florida. In Florida. By 15 points. And outrebounded them 46-23.

I'm sure there have been other results that completely stunned, but none come to mind. This is a really hard one to comprehend.

Reactions: Aceinthehole

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Previously winless Texas Southern beat #20 Florida. In Florida. By 15 points. And outrebounded them 46-23.

I'm sure there have been other results that completely stunned, but none come to mind. This is a really hard one to comprehend.
Not to take any little bit of this away, but Texas Southern was picked to win the SWAC...and is winless in part because of a murderer's row kind of schedule (7 road games, most of which are P6 or high-level mid-majors). So do have a long-range ceiling of "this could be a NCAA Tournament team, even if they're a 16-seed."

But again, an awesome win. Once in a lifetime experience for these guys.

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Not to take any little bit of this away, but Texas Southern was picked to win the SWAC...and is winless in part because of a murderer's row kind of schedule (7 road games, most of which are P6 or high-level mid-majors). So do have a long-range ceiling of "this could be a NCAA Tournament team, even if they're a 16-seed."

But again, an awesome win. Once in a lifetime experience for these guys.
Yeah, but again, it's the SWAC on the road against an SEC Top 25 team. And like it was mentioned, this is their 8th or 9th consecutive road game to begin the year. I also read somewhere that this is the first time in like a million tries for a SWAC to win on the road vs a Top 20/25 SEC team. I hear ya though, I mean, this isn't like Maine getting the win or something crazy like that.

Reactions: GoCatsGo

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Pretty good schedule tonight of games, both on TV as well as online. The TV schedule will be led off by conference member Vermont traveling to Rhode Island to take on the Providence Friars at 6:30 pm. Also at 6:30, James Madison will be hosting Virginia in what I believe is the only televised game the CAA is allowing them to keep. That conference released an "updated" TV schedule shortly after the announcement that JMU was moving to the Sun Belt and this was all they had left after having, I think, 5 or 6 games set to be televised.

FS1
6:30 pm - Vermont @ Providence
8:30 pm - Duquesne @ DePaul

CBSSN
6:30 pm - Virginia @ James Madison

SECN
7 pm - Southern @ #10 Kentucky
9 pm - Charlotte @ #12 Arkansas

ESPN
7 pm - Texas Tech @ #13 Tennessee
9 pm - #6 Villanova @ Syracuse

ESPN2
7 pm - Michigan @ Nebraska
9 pm - Butler @ Oklahoma

ESPNU
9 pm - Loyola Marymount @ Tulsa

Pac-12
9 pm - Eastern Kentucky @ #16 USC

Pretty good slate of TV games...looking forward to the 'Nova/Syracuse game for sure. Anyway, a few other interesting games tonight:

6 pm - Sacred Heart @ Rhode Island (ESPN+)

7 pm start
Bucknell @ Princeton (ESPN+)
Furman @ Winthrop (ESPN+)
Old Dominion @ William & Mary
UMass @ Northeastern
Fairleigh Dickinson @ LaSalle (ESPN+)
Navy @ George Mason (ESPN+)
Brown @ Merrimack
Oakland @ Bowling Green (ESPN3)
Bradley @ Toledo (ESPN+)

8 pm start
South Dakota @ Northern Colorado (ESPN+)
Charleston @ Tulane (ESPN+)
Temple @ Vanderbilt (ESPN+)
Eastern Illinois @ Missouri (ESPN+)
Belmont @ St Louis

9 pm - North Dakota State @ Montana State (ESPN+)
9 pm - Mt St Mary's @ Santa Clara
10 pm - Boise State @ CSU-Northridge (ESPN+)
10 pm - North Dakota @ Cal Baptist (ESPN+)

One cancellation tonight, Nevada @ UT-Arlington. That Missouri game is interesting as the Tigers need, need, need to win that game.

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Am I ready the game correctly, that Virginia is AT JMU?
Yes. And did you see the half time score?

24-14, James Madison. Yes, that's the half time score

Reactions: charliemike

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
And the fans stormed the court after JMU won, 52-49. Virginia was unranked and 6-3...storming the court is just way too common nowadays. I mean, I get it to a certain extent, but geez, it's not like they just knocked off #1 in the country.

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Pretty big slate of games tonight...

FS1
6:30 pm - Ball State @ Xavier
8:30 pm - UMBC @ Georgetown

SECN
7 pm - North Florida @ #20 Florida

ESPN2
7 pm - #15 UConn @ West Virginia
9 pm - Marquette @ Kansas State

BTN
7 pm - Indiana @ #22 Wisconsin
9 pm - #19 Michigan State @ Minnesota

ACCN
7 pm - Lipscomb @ Miami
9 pm - Cornell @ Virginia Tech

ESPNU
9 pm - Towson @ #21 Ohio State

Pac-12
10 pm - Wyoming @ #11 Arizona

Pretty good slate of TV games...looking forward to the 'Nova/Syracuse game for sure. Anyway, a few other interesting games tonight:

6:30 pm - Chattanooga @ UNC Asheville (ESPN+)
6:30 pm - Coppen State @ George Washington (ESPN+)

7 pm start
Tennessee Tech @ Western Carolina (ESPN+)
Wofford @ Gardner-Webb (ESPN+)
St Francis (PA) @ American (ESPN+)
Loyola (MD) @ St Bonaventure (ESPN+)
Penn @ St Joseph's (ESPN+)
Jacksonville State @ VCU (ESPN+)
Quinnipiac @ Dartmouth (ESPN+)
Canisius @ Northern Kentucky (ESPN+)
Holy Cross @ Fairfield (ESPN3)
St Francis (NY) vs St Peter's (ESPN3)
Niagara @ Eastern Michigan (ESPN3)
Lafayette @ Delaware
Wagner @ Penn State

7:30 pm - Missouri State @ Little Rock (ESPN+)
7:30 pm - Evansville @ Southeast Missouri State (ESPN+)

8 pm start
Buffalo @ Western Kentucky (ESPN+)
Dayton @ SMU (ESPN+)
Utah @ TCU (Big XII/ESPN+)
McNeese @ Louisian (ESPN+)
Eastern Washington @ Colorado

9 pm start
Utah State @ #24 BYU
Drake @ Omaha
Air Force @ Montana (ESPN+)
South Dakota State @ Idaho (ESPN+)
Utah Valley @ Southern Utah (ESPN+)

10 pm start
Weber State @ Washington State
Seattle @ UNLV
CSU Fullerton @ San Diego State
Idaho State @ Cal
Fresno State @ San Francisco

Lots of big games on the schedule tonight...I don't see any media for those 10 pm starts but I have to think there is something for them. That battle of the 2 WSU's and the San Fran game are both pretty important battles.

81 - 100 of 398 Posts