Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Grumpy Pragmatist
3,410 Posts
:sigh: :sigh: :sigh:

I know many people pick "Bowie over Jordan" as the worst mistake in Blazer history. That decision at least had some logic to it....however flawed. Trading Jermaine was just flat dumb.

At the time, the rumor was that TBob still believed in the kid, but that Dunleavy was unwilling to trust an unproven player with significant minutes. Dunleavy got the veteran player he wanted. Now he is long gone and the team will bear the brunt of the mistake for another 10 years!

Why did TBob have to choose *that* occasion to not stick to his guns?:(

·
Registered
35 Posts
I thought it was the other way around? From what I've heard is that Dunleavy loved O'Neil's ability in practice, but we were in a "win now" mode & didn't want to hurt the team by playing Jermaine. If I'm not mistaken, I think I've heard Dunleavy publicly state that he was against the trade in the first place. After Bob made the Grant for Kemp trade, he was reeling a bit & tried to make up for it by bringing in a proven vet like DD.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Davis was the kind of tough player that the Blazers needed at that time. He was solid and I was more than happy with the trade. Same thing goes with the Stoudamire trade back when it happened. I guess we have to take the good in with the bad and realize what we're getting exactly when we make a trade. On another note, I guarantee that anyone here would have been pissed if it were Wallace or Grant that had been traded then instead of O'Neal. Obviously, it WOULD have been towards our advantage in the future... which ironically, is now.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Originally posted by <b>goldfinger2020</b>!
I thought it was the other way around? From what I've heard is that Dunleavy loved O'Neil's ability in practice, but we were in a "win now" mode & didn't want to hurt the team by playing Jermaine.
You're right with the second part, wrong with the first part. Still all speculation, I guess, but the talk back then was Whitsitt loved O'Neal and didn't want to trade him. Dunleavy wouldn't play O'Neal. O'Neal got really impatient (rightly so?) and kind of force Whitsitt to trade him. Until this day, O'Neal is mad at the way Dunleavy treated him, but not really mad at how Whitsitt and the Blazers organization treated him. Which is why there was a rumor this last offseason about O'Neal possibly returning to Portland in a S&T.

I thought it was a good trade for the Blazers at the time. We really wanted that small piece in the championship puzzle. Unfortunately, it didn't work out.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
As good as Jermaine has turned out to be, I still say he can't be counted on. Too much of a hot head and too injury prone. Unless he's the second or third option, any team he's on will have nasty stretches of disappointment.

Dan

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
"Unless he's the second or third option"

Jermaine the second or third option???
Do you have League Pass ? Do you watch and read about his games??
If you think of Jermaine that far down,
Please tell me where you would place Rasheed ??

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
jackiejackal, you gotta chill, slow down, and learn to read. I said "unless he's the second or third option." That clearly is not the same as "he's the second or third option." It was a conditional statement. Hell, you even quoted the whole thing in your subject line. How could you have missed that?

Dan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts