1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like Reinsdorf doesn't want to pay Konerko

White Sox, Phillies swing deal for slugger Thome
By Micheal Radano, (Cherry Hill, N.J.) Courier-Post Staff
PHILADELPHIA — Pat Gillick understood that by accepting the job as Philadelphia Phillies general manager, he had two major issues to contend with before spring training.
On Wednesday, he went a long way toward solving the bigger of the two issues.

"It's always difficult to move someone with (Jim Thome's) talent level," Gillick said.

But with National League Rookie of the Year Ryan Howard primed to return, Gillick and the Phillies tentatively agreed to trade first baseman Thome to the Chicago White Sox for center fielder Aaron Rowand and a pair of minor league prospects. The Phillies also agreed to pay $22 million of the $46 million owed to Thome.

The prospects are left-handed pitchers Daniel Haigwood and Gio Gonzalez, according to multiple sources. The trade is pending physical examinations, which will occur later this week.

"I said when I took the job, I didn't see this as a bad situation," said Gillick, who assumed the role of Phillies general manager earlier this month. "You can view the situation as we had an excess at one position that another club did not have."

Thome has played three seasons in Philadelphia, hitting over 40 home runs and driving in more than 100 RBI in his first two years.

This season, he missed much of the year due to a back injury and a bad right elbow, which limited his throwing so much that he went on the disabled list for good on July 4. He finished the abbreviated season with seven home runs and 30 RBI.

With Thome sidelined, Howard hit 22 home runs in just over half a season

Howard won the Rookie of the Year award on the power of a huge September.

"It hurts to lose a class act like (Thome)," Howard said. "He taught me a lot."

"In a way, I guess it's a relief not to have to hear the same questions now. I was going to start training on Monday regardless, but I will miss him. It doesn't change my approach. Either way I have to do my job or I don't have one."

"I don't know if that's a good thing or not," Gillick said. "I think pressure can be a good thing. I think it can give you that drive needed to succeed."

In exchange, the Phillies get a quality center fielder that hit .270 with 13 home runs, 69 RBI and 16 stolen bases this season for the world champion White Sox.

·
Registered
31,975 Posts
Why pay Thome ~$15M per season and not Konerko? I don't think that makes sense.

Sox are taking on payroll and not really giving up a big chunk of their team. If thome can play like he used to, the Sox are likely to say goodbye to Thomas, IMO. Unless Konerko simply won't re-sign with the Sox...

Thome would be the DH if they do re-sign Konerko.

On the other hand, this looks like Bulls' or Cubs' syndrome. Addition by subtraction really means subtraction of the overall quality of the team.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I am an "old guy" I would like to give a history lesson to some of the younger Sox fans out there. In 1959, the White Sox won the pennant with defense and speed. Bill Veeck, the owner and de facto GM of the team, thought they could not repeat unless they brought in more power. He therefore started to gut the Sox farm system of promising players to bring in washed-up power hitters Roy Sievers and Minnie Minoso (who at that time must have been about 43 years old) and erratic third baseman Gene Freese. Gone were Sox hopefuls Earl Battey, John Romano, Johnny Callison, and Norm Cash. Battey, Callison and Cash became All-Star caliber players for several years. The Sox, as you know, never repeated. Sievers and Minnie had so-so years in 1960 and rapidly faded afterwards.

Kenny Williams said yesterday that he did not think the Sox would repeat unless he brought in more power.

As they say, history may not repeat itself, but it rhymes.

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
DaBullz said:
Why pay Thome ~$15M per season and not Konerko? I don't think that makes sense.

Sox are taking on payroll and not really giving up a big chunk of their team. If thome can play like he used to, the Sox are likely to say goodbye to Thomas, IMO. Unless Konerko simply won't re-sign with the Sox...

Thome would be the DH if they do re-sign Konerko.

On the other hand, this looks like Bulls' or Cubs' syndrome. Addition by subtraction really means subtraction of the overall quality of the team.

The Sox are paying $8 million per year, not 15.

Signing Thome in no way precludes bringing back Konerko. The way I see it, Thome is the DH and Konerko is at first base. It's Frank who is gone.

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
jnrjr79 said:
The Sox are paying $8 million per year, not 15.

Signing Thome in no way precludes bringing back Konerko. The way I see it, Thome is the DH and Konerko is at first base. It's Frank who is gone.
Either that or he's insurance and leverage in the Konerko negotiations.

Dunno what to think about this trade. If Thome is the old Thome, it should work out. I'm not sure about Anderson or Pods in center though.

If Thome is the gimpy Thome and we don't resign Konerko due to not wanting to "overpay"... we lost Rowand and Konerko with little to show for it. Yuk.

Signing Thome reduces the demand the Sox have for Konerko's services the way I see it. Its easier for the Sox to go in another direction now. That makes me nervous... although I would like to know what other options the Sox are looking at if they don't sign Konerko. I'm not sure if Paul is a good investment for the money and years he's looking for.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Wasnt there talk a few weeks back that the sox might be looking at aquiring Juan Pierre from the Marlins to play center field? If they can do that i dont think the loss of Rowand would be too big.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
As much as I hate to lose Rowand... I also hated to lose a lot of players in the past.....

That being said... Rowand is a great player BUT... he's replaceable, there are a lot of OF that can do what he can. Liked the guy a lot and wish we coulda kept him but.... you have to give to get (Unless you Paxon, then you just give, give, give... lol)

This move gives the Sox flexability if Paulie leaves and one HELL of a 3-4-5 if he re-signs.

Hate to lose 33 buuuuuuuuuuutttt.... I see the logic behind this move. It's esentially a win-win. Thome has 40 mil left on his deal and the sox got 25 mil in the deal. so basically they get Thome at the bargain price of 5 mil a year.... which is one hell of a deal if he's putting up 280-35-100.....

And since I'm of the opinion Paulie is coming back.... Pods, New OF (Pierre?), Dye , Paulie, Thome, Tadihito (Ozzie wants him to use his power more in 06), AJ, Crede, Uribe..... still looks like a repeat champ. Go Sox!! :)

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
I like Ken Williams' aggressiveness, but I don't particularly like this move (despite Thome being from my home town). Rowand embodies the spirit of this White Sox team. Great hustle is contagious. And gold glove caliber defense along with good hitting and the occasional swing of power isn't particularly easy to find. And Thome just seems past his prime to me.

I understand why it was done. Thome serves as a DH if Konerko comes back, and 1B if he doesn't come back. But still, our outfield takes a hit. Hopefully it pans out.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
You were [edit] by Pat Gillick, plain and simple, Not only do the Phillies get one of the better Centerfielders in baseball in Rowand, but they also get 2 pitching prospects, and word has it that the flexbility that they get out of the deal, will most likely go towards Billy Wagner, and a quality free agent starting pitcher capable of giving the team at least 9-11 wins. You got a guy that played 59 games, and nothing more or less [edit]

·
Registered
458 Posts
Sixerfanforlife said:
You were [edit] by Pat Gillick, plain and simple, Not only do the Phillies get one of the better Centerfielders in baseball in Rowand, but they also get 2 pitching prospects, and word has it that the flexbility that they get out of the deal, will most likely go towards Billy Wagner, and a quality free agent starting pitcher capable of giving the team at least 9-11 wins. You got a guy that played 59 games, and nothing more or less [edit]
Dude, Brian Anderson is a going to be a pretty damn good CF, and will play better defense than Aaron Rowand. Bottom line, he is good, a top 15 CF, but nothing special. Thanks for paying the bulk of Thome's salary. Sox fans will enjoy the 40 homers he provides if he is healthy. Rowand, in my opinion, was on roids when he had his big season. He lost 40 points on his batting average last season.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Sixerfanforlife said:
Aaron Rowand is a ver, very average baseball player. He is a very good fielder, but melted down on many occasions breaking to the ball in the end of the season. But aside from the above-average defense, he is a pedistrian offensive player. 2004 looks like a fluke, really he is probably a .280 20HR guy with badl plate discipline and average speed. When a guy break out 28, it usually means he's not that good.

For Rowand they got a guy who did have injury problems last year, but if plays the season is a LOCK for 35 HR in 2006 in the Celly. The Soxs HAD to get more power for next year and two top prospects behind Rowand that can give us similar prodution to Rowand. This situation with the Sox is very similar to the situation with the Phillies, they wanted to get Howard on the field.

Also kudos to Williams for keeping all of his major league pitching talent in house. Also as someone mentioned before, because the Phillies took so much cash, there is no reason why they can't keep Konkerko. Now, they don't have to overpay.

Pods,Anderson,Dye,Konkerko,Thome,Iguci

or

Pod,Anderson,Thomas,Thome,Dye,Iguci

i dont mind either way

1 - 11 of 11 Posts