Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Saw this term used in another thread so I thought I would pose the question:

Anyone know how and where this term originated? Without looking it up, put your answers here, if no one gets it I will post the answer tomorrow.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
sa1177 said:
Saw this term used in another thread so I thought I would pose the question:

Anyone know how and where this term originated? Without looking it up, put your answers here, if know one gets it I will post the answer tomorrow.
fonzi jumped sharks. that point forward, show was lame.

jump the shark = when a tv show (or person, plot line, whatever) got lame and stupid.

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hap said:
fonzi jumped sharks. that point forward, show was lame.

jump the shark = when a tv show (or person, plot line, whatever) got lame and stupid.
damn..thought it would take awhile for someone to get that one. Nice work Hap.

Jump the shark
a term to describe a moment when somethin that was once great has reached a point where it will now decline in quality and popularity.

Origin of this phrase comes from a Happy Days episode where the Fonz jumped a shark on waterskis. Thus was labeled the lowest point of the show.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=jump+the+shark&f=1

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
I was gonna look it up and post it too late.U should post a math question or something people can't look up.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Good idea, sa1177, but there was a thread on this two or three years ago. Hap, being the old-timer that he is, was right on top of it.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
U should post a math question or something people can't look up.
Ok, here's one a math professor friend sent this past year; I sort of got it from memory, but took me a bit of research to confirm:

The 4th derivative of Pres. Bush is zero. Explain.

Dan

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Blazer Bert said:
Good idea, sa1177, but there was a thread on this two or three years ago. Hap, being the old-timer that he is, was right on top of it.
Yep. And CFFI, being the old-timer that she is, remembered the thread, but couldn't for the life of her remember which TV show it was from! :laugh:

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dkap said:
Ok, here's one a math professor friend sent this past year; I sort of got it from memory, but took me a bit of research to confirm:

The 4th derivative of Pres. Bush is zero. Explain.

Dan
Ok I am stumped..all I can think of is since a derivative is the instaneous rate of change of a function then if Bush's derivative is 0 that would imply he never changes, which is true. He just keeps feeding us the same old BS over and over.

Don't think that is right though..can you enlighten us Dan?

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
sa1177 said:
Ok I am stumped..all I can think of is since a derivative is the instaneous rate of change of a function then if Bush's derivative is 0 that would imply he never changes, which is true. He just keeps feeding us the same old BS over and over.

Don't think that is right though..can you enlighten us Dan?
I was trying to work on this backwards, but I don't think there's enough info based on my knowledge of calculus. The derivative of any constant is 0, so the third derivative is a constant.

I was thinking it had something to do with the number 43, but it might be some sort of political statement. In any case, I'm stumped.

Ed O.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
You guys are on the right track, but the key is the little used/known term for the 3rd derivative...

A bit of context I just remembered that might help: it was said by an obviously non-republican colleague of my friend after last year's election.

Dan

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
dkap said:
You guys are on the right track, but the key is the little used/known term for the 3rd derivative...

A bit of context I just remembered that might help: it was said by an obviously non-republican colleague of my friend after last year's election.

Dan
Ah, the Jerk. So he's a constant jerk.

barfo

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
dkap said:

I think I got it.

The third derivative of position is called "jerk", I think.

So if Bush is a jerk, then his fourth derivative is 0.

Am I right? What do I win? :)

Ed O.

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
barfo said:
Ah, the Jerk. So he's a constant jerk.

barfo
Impressive barfo...

It is well known that the first derivative of position (symbol x) with respect to time is velocity (symbol v) and the second is acceleration (symbol a). It is a little less well known that the third derivative, i.e. the rate of change of acceleration, is technically known as jerk (symbol j). Jerk is a vector but may also be used loosely as a scalar quantity because there is not a separate term for the magnitude of jerk analogous to speed for magnitude of velocity

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Ed O said:
Am I right? What do I win? :)
Damn barfo! First the supermodels, and now this!

Ed O.

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ed O said:
Damn barfo! First the supermodels, and now this!

Ed O.
Huh, what..I missed supermodels and a beligerant pirate :cry:

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Bingo! The Jerk doesn't change.

[You could just as easily substitute in Clinton or any non-political figure and it would be just as funny, but I'm not the originator of the joke/trivia, so I left it as is.]

Dan

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
dkap said:
Bingo! The Jerk doesn't change.

[You could just as easily substitute in Clinton or any non-political figure and it would be just as funny, but I'm not the originator of the joke/trivia, so I left it as is.]

Dan
Nah no substitution necessary..Bush suits the joke quite well. Only other person I can think of that fits it better might be Ruben Patterson. :biggrin:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts