Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NU Hoop Fan, what happened to Karl Fogel?

The reason I ask is because I went to the BU/Michigan game this evening with my girlfriends father, and as we are exiting, he spots Karl Fogel, tells me me how he was a camper of his when he was a counselor at summer camp, yada, yada, yada, tells me that he was Calhoun's assistant at NU and took over after he left, and he won while he was the coach, but then they fired him.....never knew why the fired him. Said the guy hasn't had a coaching job since (or at least a memorable one)

Now I am at home, and oddly enough, was just listening to the announcers tonight during the UCONN/'Zona game and they start to talk about Calhoun, his asistant Andre Lafleur, and the whole Northeastern bit, they start to go off on a tangent (like I am doing writing this) and the announcer credits Karl Fogel with recruiting a lot of those kids that played for Calhoun, and went on to say that when he took over for NU-that he won, but they fired him and "the program hasn't been at that level since" (their quote) and that "to this day still do not understand why he was fired" .

Strange coincidence that I hear the guys story twice in one night.

Anyway, What happened to Fogel? Sounds like a sad story when I heard it. He looked like a lost person when I saw him in the lobby.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
For those of you who don't want to hear the story, move on.. it's not a short one.

First, Fogel is now the AD at Norwood High School. After he got let go by NU he did some broadasting for what's now Fox Sports New England - he did color on New England college hoop games and wasn't bad - his Boston accent was his downfall. He actually called an NU-BU game the year after he got let go.

Fogel coached at Mercyhurst College in Erie, PA for about 7 seasons after he left NU. He had middling success at MC, and when he didn't bring national prominence to MC, they let him go when his contract was up.

He was then the AD at Littleton High for a couple of years (and he frequented UNH games as Doucette and Foges are friends).

Now, as for why he was let go by NU, you need a bit of an NU hoops history lesson.

Fogel won the NAC and went to the NCAA's Reggie's senior year with a team that was "Calhoun's Kids" as many liked to say. Once Reggie and Andre graduated, there was some talent there (John Williams, Derrick Lewis, etc.) but Fogel didn't really handle the transition to head coach well and there was dissention on the team. Foges also didn't mesh well with the university community, and was never well liked by the university.

From March 20 to October 14, Foges was a great guy. He took a genuine interest in people and was cool to hang out with. Once the season started, he became an ogre, and was as mean and nasty as could be.

Anyway, the team went 15-13, 17-11, and 16-12 in the three seasons after he won the NAC title with Reggie. When I came on board (88-89 season), there were two seniors and a bunch of sophomores, and we went 17-11 and lost in the NAC semi's to BU. The next year, the team won the NAC regular season title but was upset by UVM in the NAC semi's. Fogel was developing a reputation of NOT being able to win a big game without Reggie.

When the kids that were recruited in the shadows of the 86-87 NCAA team were seniors, we went 22-11, won the NAC, went to the NCAA's, and did it with some fanfare. We set an NCAA record by scoring 152 points against LMU in the Maui Classic on ESPN, beat Tulane and Northwestern, and almost beat Providence. Fogel got an extension because of it

The season after, the team was very young and went 9-19, losing like 8 games by 5 points or fewer.

The next season, returning everyone from the seasno before, the team went 20-8, tied for the NAC regular season title and lost in the NAC semi's to Delaware. The team had an NIT bid in its hands but on the Sunday of Championship week there were 3 major upsets in conference tournaments, and NU was un-invited. We were supposed to play UConn at Gampel, but when Jackson State and Lindsay Hunter lost on a last second shot in OT in the SWAC Finals, they took our spot.

The season after that the team had a bunch of seniors (the kids who were freshmen on the NCAA team), but two key players were sitting out. Lonnie Harrell transferred from Georgetown and Rah Shun Roberts, a 6'8 manchild was a Prop 48. Ironically two of the seniors (Dan Callahan and Ben Harlee) get hurt early in the season, an Fogel - knowing he's going to be loaded if he redshirts them, redshirts them. So the team is simply awful as there are only like 8 scholarship players on the team and they go 4-24.

Here's where it gets fun. The school knows Fogel will win big with the team he has coming back, and will have to give him another extension. Meanwhile, Dave Leitao has started to interview for jobs as a head coach and NU doesn't want to see him get a job nearby and succeed, since he's a former NU legend.

So there's a power play and Fogel is told he's not coming back - however, he has a roll over in his contract, so the school still has to pay him as they didn't inform him in time to void the roll over. For the 94-95 season, Fogel is an employee of NU and he watches Leitao coach the team to an 18-12 record and an NAC title game loss. Ask anyone who was in the league at that time, Fogel would have coached that team to about 22-24 wins, and at least an NIT bid.

The guy won four NAC regular season titles, two NAC titles, went to the NCAA's twice, and won 20 or more games 3 times, but got fired for having 2 losing seasons in his last three, and there were valid reasons for the losing seasons.

·
Premium Member
33,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NUHF, thanks for the insight.

Now I know the story from an insiders perspective.

Much appreciated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts