Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Skokie, IL 60076
17,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Nuggets or Raptors

Raptors eyeing Kemp

"Raptors general manager Rob Babcock yesterday said that he may dispatch a scout to have a look at former star NBA power forward/centre Shawn Kemp, who is training for a comeback and has reportedly dropped 55 pounds."

Kemp plans to check out chances to rejoin league

Denver Post: "Former NBA star Shawn Kemp's agent plans on calling a handful of teams - including the Nuggets - to gauge their interest."

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
spongyfungy said:
The Nuggets or Raptors

Raptors eyeing Kemp

"Raptors general manager Rob Babcock yesterday said that he may dispatch a scout to have a look at former star NBA power forward/centre Shawn Kemp, who is training for a comeback and has reportedly dropped 55 pounds."

Kemp plans to check out chances to rejoin league

Denver Post: "Former NBA star Shawn Kemp's agent plans on calling a handful of teams - including the Nuggets - to gauge their interest."
Hmm. Wonder if he'll make it back.

BTW, the Toronto writer is nuts if he thinks Kemp can command a multi-year deal at this point.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
I am aware that Kemp has lost weight and wants back in the league.

What harm can it do to give him a look?

I am curious about one thing:
Why is it we have a free roster spot, 9 games into the season? It really makes me wonder. It's either one of two things

<li>The spot is left open for AD. Though it looks less likely that will happen
<li>Pax is discussing trades. A 1 for two or 2 for 3 type of trades.

Otherwise, I do not see the reason why the spot is open. We need a center and we could use a big sg that is 6-6 or over.

·
Registered
659 Posts
truebluefan said:

This is what I keep thinking in regards to the empty roster spot. I get the feeling T. Thomas might be moved sooner rather than later based on:

A) All the attention Thomas' situation has been getting in the local news. Sometimes that can be a precursor to a move.
B) The fact that he doesn't even show up for games. (WTF?)
B) The fact that he isn't even practicing with the team, apparently attending to familial needs.

If a trade involving Thomas does go down Bulls fans should expect to get some pretty good talent in return, because Paxson wouldn't sacrifice '06 cap space for marginal talent. Or at least a more useful expiring.

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
truebluefan said:
I am aware that Kemp has lost weight and wants back in the league.

What harm can it do to give him a look?

I am curious about one thing:
Why is it we have a free roster spot, 9 games into the season? It really makes me wonder. It's either one of two things

<li>The spot is left open for AD. Though it looks less likely that will happen

Otherwise, I do not see the reason why the spot is open. We need a center and we could use a big sg that is 6-6 or over.
Conspiracy theories are fun, but perhaps paxson just hasn't ran into a player he wants to sign. The Bulls are blessedly injury free -- as they were at the beginning of last season. Pax may be just waiting to see where the roster becomes attenuated during the mid-season grind?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Bulls are leaviing the roster spot open simply because they don't want to spend any money on a player that won't play. Maybe during the second half of the season on 10 days contract the Bulls may look at a few players

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
As I was telling Mize, I saw Jabari Smith in the airport in Chicago a couple of weeks back and thought he might be getting a look. Clearly that didnt pan out. Taking a look at a guy like Kemp isnt dumb. It cant hurt to look. I have to believe he isnt the freak he once was but he would certainly fill a spot. He is certainly no worse, even at his Krispy Kreme - Cocaine to the hilt days then Malik Allen.

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
Sir Charles actually had a good quote which was something like, "If you're a team that needs to add Sean Kemp, you must not be a very good team."

·
Registered
600 Posts
Yep, Kemp has acted like a fool there is no other way to look at it.
However...
He is older and I'm sure he realizes that this is the last shot, in his last game. So maybe there is something left, the skill level of bigs on the slag heap is not very impressive. Shawn Kemp at 85% of his former skill level, is the best reserve big off our bench if he can still play.
I cannot see him working off anything but 1 yr deals with comprehensive personal conduct clauses, so where is our risk?

·
Premium Member
9,836 Posts
There's a bit on Kemp in McGraw's game story today:

Big man available: There were reports last week that former NBA star Shawn Kemp wants to make a comeback at age 36.

“I’ve known Shawn since he was 14,” said coach Scott Skiles, like Kemp an Indiana native. “I hope he gets back in. I’d like to see him get another shot at it.”

How about with the Bulls?

“I didn’t say that,” Skiles responded.

General manager John Paxson was non-committal about adding anyone and said he’d have to see Kemp play first.
Interesting: http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/bulls.asp?id=126439 is the link.

·
Registered
488 Posts
It would be interesting, but man Kemp at 36 and after being out of basketball for a few years he would be hard to take in. I agree though, worth a look at least.

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
Isn't he sort of anti-jib?

To be honest, the jib thing really sort of limits the type of talent we take in. The whole point is that we value the good jib MORE than the talent because we think it produces better basketball results. Fine.

But here we have an opportunity to get a glimpse of a notoriously bad-jib player because Skiles has known him since adolescence. I'm all for it; let's indeed see if the Bulls can be rehabilitation for a not-so-aged Shawn Kemp (he's a year younger than AD and if in basketball shape, has at least a year or two left to play).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts