Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OT: Jalen Trade to Knicks? (for Penny + 1st?)

They might trade Penny for Jalen according to the Toronto newspaper. I know they need a veteran point guard. Looks like the 2002-2003 Bulls reunited. Haha. I also heard they want to trade away Marbury. If they make those two moves, I think they are trying to get us the first pick in next year's draft.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Jalen as a Knick would make me almost as sick as Starks as a Bull.
:dead: :dead:

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
lougehrig said:
They might trade Penny for Jalen according to the Toronto newspaper. I know they need a veteran point guard. Looks like the 2002-2003 Bulls reunited. Haha. I also heard they want to trade away Marbury. If they make those two moves, I think they are trying to get us the first pick in next year's draft.
The only possible rationalization I can come up with is that Larry Brown has been griping in the papers about not having a 3. Rose would solve that. Personally, I don't get why Brown doesn't just start Ariza. He's long enough to play the 3 and is a fantastic overall defensive presence when he's out there.

I think it's safe to say that Isaiah is just about the only GM in the league who would look at that roster and decide what the team needs is Jalen Rose.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
LArry Brown would do bad things to himself by the end of the season if this happens. He still may even if this deal isn't made.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
What, Crawford can't play point?

:biggrin:

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
jbulls said:
The only possible rationalization I can come up with is that Larry Brown has been griping in the papers about not having a 3. Rose would solve that. Personally, I don't get why Brown doesn't just start Ariza. He's long enough to play the 3 and is a fantastic overall defensive presence when he's out there.

I think it's safe to say that Isaiah is just about the only GM in the league who would look at that roster and decide what the team needs is Jalen Rose.
Ariza's perimeter shooting is looking very Deng-like so far this season.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Mikedc said:
I thought Vecsey was saying the Knicks would try to peddle Marbury for Rose. Of course, that'd make no sense whatsoever for the Raptors, but what's that got to do with anything?
Well, IMO any time you can move a Jack Rose, it can't be a bad thing. :biggrin:

But I can see Toronto doing this maybe, Marbury's contract is worse but at least he can still perform at an All-Star level. His jib can't be worse than Rose's, he can't be any more indifferent on defense than Jalen, and he can't be any more of a whiner than Jalen, plus he's most likely a better box office draw.

I wouldn't want Marbury on the Bulls or anything like that, just saying that I can see where a team would deal Rose for him. Especially Toronto, they have an athletic young big man in Bosh to play off of Marbury.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bullsville said:
Well, IMO any time you can move a Jack Rose, it can't be a bad thing. :biggrin:

But I can see Toronto doing this maybe, Marbury's contract is worse but at least he can still perform at an All-Star level. His jib can't be worse than Rose's, he can't be any more indifferent on defense than Jalen, and he can't be any more of a whiner than Jalen, plus he's most likely a better box office draw.

I wouldn't want Marbury on the Bulls or anything like that, just saying that I can see where a team would deal Rose for him. Especially Toronto, they have an athletic young big man in Bosh to play off of Marbury.
I don't mind Marbury. He is indifferent about alot of things, but usually indifference doesn't hurt other players. I think playing along the right player / leader, he wouldn't be a problem. For example, if Marbury when to the Heat, he would play hard every night and not cause a problem.

Rose on the other hand is a cancer. He is indifferent and tries to get his way, despite having a huge contract. I can't see any team winning with Rose as a key part.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Marbury's owed:

05/06 $16.5mil
06/07 $18.3
07/08 $20.1
08/09 $21.9

Sweet fancy Moses! Check out that contract... I knew it was bad but that's just ludicrous.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
Z has been trying to get Rose for awhile.

·
Registered
579 Posts
If Jalen Rose is traded to the Knicks I will be ecstatic. The Bulls will be staring a top-5 pick in the draft right in the face if this happens.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
madox said:
Marbury's owed:

05/06 $16.5mil
06/07 $18.3
07/08 $20.1
08/09 $21.9

Sweet fancy Moses! Check out that contract... I knew it was bad but that's just ludicrous.
Never say never but I can't picture any team taking on that burden. Maybe Minnisota for Szerbiak and Hudson.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
johnston797 said:
Never say never but I can't picture any team taking on that burden. Maybe Minnisota for Szerbiak and Hudson.
Wouldn't it be ironic that Marbury goes back to the team he left in the first place?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
well the trade kind of makes sense for toronto

the team needs star players... not necessarily to win but to attract the canadians to baskeball... and marbury is the flashy guard that could attract customers to attend games

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
This is a joke, right? Jalen Rose to the Knicks? :laugh:

Doesn't Isiah know what that team needs? They've got scorers up the ying-yang as it is, and what they lack are complimentary role players. I'm not complaining, that's for sure.

·
Premium Member
9,836 Posts
TripleDouble said:
Is there a link to the article?
Vecsey's column is at http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/31154.htm, registration is required.

Here's part of the article:

In any event, Thomas had to know importing Brown to become the Knicks' latest savior would ultimately lead to Marbury's deportation. Even Isiah Lord Thomas can only cater and curtsy to one franchise person at a time. Stephon had his way and sway for 11/2 seasons. Now Larry has all the juice.

This isn't Detroit, where Joe Dumars "fairly effectively" handles the affairs of the Pistons' front office (along with John Hammond) and isn't really all that interested what personnel his coaching staff would prefer to manage. This is New York, where Thomas brought in Brown to save his job and might wind up taking it.

When Thomas dealt Michael Sweetney to the Bulls as part of the package that secured Eddy Curry, he dispensed with the last remnant traceable to previous team president Scott Layden. In less than two seasons Thomas dumped every single player. Now it's time for Brown to start dumping Thomas' players.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts