Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Old-Timer
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OT: Knicks to fire Chaney, hire Lenny Wilkens, NOT Fratello.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1708140

"NEW YORK -- Isiah Thomas will fire Knicks coach Don Chaney and replace him with Mike Fratello -- possibly as early as tonight -- the New York Daily News is reporting.

Sources tell the Daily News that Thomas may make the announcement after the Knicks play the Magic tonight."

This sucks as far as my future enjoyment of the TNT telecasts. They still have a great studio show, but I'll miss hearing Marv and The Czar go at it (although Steve Kerr has stepped in nicely).

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
HAHA Marv and the Czar sounded like a married couple headed toward divorce on their TNT broadcasts. Oh well.

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
Fratello, who DA wanted to see coach the Bulls, is going to do big things with the talent in New York. He's going to rub Marbury the wrong way once in a while, I think, but he's also going to have a Van Gundy-over-Franchise kind of tempering of Marbury's intensity and making him appropriate for the team. He's also someone that Starbury can actually respect, where Don Chaney has kind of been the floating interim for the Knicks since Van Gundy left, much like Floyd/Cartwright.

It's a new era for the Knicks, but they are further along the path than us. We're going to see them in the top 4 seeds for a few years to come. But I hope for them to take a Boston-like or Milwaukee-like tumble, where they are a consistently solid team with identity, but it's just not enough to put them over the top.

Still, I'm very impressed with what Thomas has done thus far. If it works out, he'll really have established himself as a real post-player basketball talent.

Marbury (top 3 PG in the league, maybe top 2)
Houston (one of the purest shooters, a quintessential scorer with average defense)
Van Horn (same player as always, but somehow it's actually POSITIVE for the team)
Kurt Thomas (does all the dirty work you want from a PF)
Mutombo (somehow come alive this season, blocking 2 shots a game and scoring more in his big and gangly way, best enforcer in the paint since Ewing left)

And look at the bench: Penny (still got some gas left), Shandon (once in a while decides to carry the whole team), Frank Williams (ready to step up any time, otherwise providing great relief for Marbury). Scrappy Othella Harrington, high-energy Moochie Norris, and very servcieable Michael Doleac. Guys like Sweetney ready to become the future Kurt Thomases for the Knicks: undersized, athletic scrappy PF's.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.