Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

OT: Kobe

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  godanesgo99 
#1 ·
As a Celtics fan, I was never the biggest Kobe guy. But, as an athlete and basketball player growing up in the 90s/2000s, I would yell “Kobe!” Every time I shot the ball or threw a piece of paper towards the recycling bin.

Has any news ever shocked anyone more? For me, I only sports related thing that may come close if when Josh Speidel was in his accident.

#2 ·
So tragic. Basketball icon, one of the best to ever play the game. Simply devastating, thoughts and prayers to his family & friends.

#8 ·
Not sports-related, but I read one media member refer to this as being similar to the death of Princess Diana; a transcendent global figure gone with no warning at a prime age in life. Kobe had reach well beyond even a typical famous athlete.

In line with the original poster, I'm a Celtics fan and have always hated the Lakers, so Kobe was never "my guy" in that way. Kind of the opposite at times. But you can't tell the history of the NBA, and American sport in the 21st Century, without Kobe. A tragedy for the family, friends, and loved ones of all 9 victims involved.

#12 ·
As a lifelong racing fan, Dale Earnhardt would be one that immediately comes to mind. I remember being in an airport with our team and one of the other coaches telling me that Dale was killed. I totally thought he was joking and then when I saw a TV monitor, there it was. Complete shock, much like I experienced yesterday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.