Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OT: Lovie Smith named new Bears head coach

http://www.chicagobears.com/
Chicago Bears general manager Jerry Angelo named Lovie Smith as the 13th head coach in team history. Smith arrives from St. Louis where he was the Rams assistant head coach and defensive coordinator. The team will hold an afternoon press conference on Thursday, January 15 to introduce Smith. (1/14)

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CLTV reports that the #1 OC choice is still Scott Linehan from Minny and the #1 DC choice is Rod Marinelli from Tampa Bay.

Admittedly, Linehan will be harder to attain. BOth have 2 years remaining on the their contracts.

·
Old-Timer
2,619 Posts
I think this is a nice move by Angelo. I think Lovie seemed the most qualified between he and Grimm. I expect him to do a good job.

Now, I want to see who he hires as the offensive coordinator. I almost care as much about that as the head coach after the whole John Shoop debacle.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Originally posted by <b>superdave</b>!
CLTV reports that the #1 OC choice is still Scott Linehan from Minny and the #1 DC choice is Rod Marinelli from Tampa Bay.

Admittedly, Linehan will be harder to attain. BOth have 2 years remaining on the their contracts.
Wow, talk about having your cake and eating it too. Linehan and Marinelli are two of the best in their areas. Can you imagine Minne's O + Tampa's D? But I don't see either team letting those guys walk.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
They could have gotten someone better than either of these two guys.

Cheap *** Bears.

I was hoping for Mike Nolan or the OC from New England. You know....winners.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think this all but seals that a DT is taken w/in the first 2 rounds of the NFL Draft. Lovie took Jimmy Kennedy in the 1st last year. You know he's gonna wanna upgrade our d-line.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/tracker/team?team=stl

I think he also takes a corner high as well. Use Azumah as a roamer much like Archuleta in STL and Barber in TB instead of the traditional cover 2. JMO.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by <b>sp00k</b>!
Wow, talk about having your cake and eating it too. Linehan and Marinelli are two of the best in their areas. Can you imagine Minne's O + Tampa's D? But I don't see either team letting those guys walk.
Well we know TB rejected the Jets from talking w/ Marinelli about their DC position last week. STill with Angelo and Lovie having ties to Tampa Bay, you gotta think the Bears have a shot.

Linehan on the other hand is a longshot. McCombs has deep deep pockets.

·
Premium Member
8,261 Posts
Talk about overrated coaches. Lovie Smith's D was 16th in YPG this year and 17th in points allowed a game. Last season they were 13th and 23rd in points per game. We're not exactly talking impressive numbers there.

If you want to go defensive, why don't you wait two weeks for my beloved Patriots to win their second championship in the last three years and hire Romeo Crenel? The Pats were 7th in yards per game and first in points per game by just under a point and a half. Additionally, with Crenel, you're getting a guy who's been working with Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick for his entire career. You can't really be groomed better than that.

One must ask, what was the Bears management doing last Saturday that they didn't see the Rams losing 29-23 while giving up 485 yards of offense including 216 rushing yards to a team that lost their Pro Bowl running back in the first quarter. Jake Delhomme just torched Lovie's D for 269 yards.

The fact that Romeo Crenel and Charlie Weiss (Buffalo went with Pittsburgh's Mularkey) will probably not be head coaches next season is rediculous. You have two guys who are commended as the best at their jobs and have been groomed for head coaching jobs by two of the better coaches ever in Parcells and Belichick, and they can't get jobs? :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Originally posted by <b>sp00k</b>!

I'm not saying this isn't accurate, but how do the Bears get Linehan (OC at Minnie) or Marinelli (Asst. Head Coach at TB) to take a lateral move? Assuming they're under contract for next season, why would their current teams even allow them to be considered? Just wondering.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Originally posted by <b>agoo101284</b>!
Talk about overrated coaches. Lovie Smith's D was 16th in YPG this year and 17th in points allowed a game. Last season they were 13th and 23rd in points per game. We're not exactly talking impressive numbers there.

If you want to go defensive, why don't you wait two weeks for my beloved Patriots to win their second championship in the last three years and hire Romeo Crenel? The Pats were 7th in yards per game and first in points per game by just under a point and a half. Additionally, with Crenel, you're getting a guy who's been working with Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick for his entire career. You can't really be groomed better than that.

One must ask, what was the Bears management doing last Saturday that they didn't see the Rams losing 29-23 while giving up 485 yards of offense including 216 rushing yards to a team that lost their Pro Bowl running back in the first quarter. Jake Delhomme just torched Lovie's D for 269 yards.

The fact that Romeo Crenel and Charlie Weiss (Buffalo went with Pittsburgh's Mularkey) will probably not be head coaches next season is rediculous. You have two guys who are commended as the best at their jobs and have been groomed for head coaching jobs by two of the better coaches ever in Parcells and Belichick, and they can't get jobs? :confused: :confused: :confused:
I'm 100% with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They're all in such a hurry to hire coaches since you can now talk to coordinators that they won't wait for the play-offs to end?? It would have been worth the wait to get one of those two.

God I hate the Bears sometimes.

·
Me lose brain? Uh oh!
5,702 Posts
I am ambivalent about this move. I respect Lovie for taking the Rams from the bottom of the league to the....uh...middle of the league in defense, and I think he'll make a decent head coach from what I know of him, but I agree that, after Saban spurned us, and considering that there are only 2 vacancies now, it would have been worthwhile to wait until after the super bowl and talk to both N.E. coordinators before making the hire.

however, if we can bring in a bright offensive coordinator who has more than 3 plays in his arsenal, that alone would make the Bears much easier to cheer for. I'm almost more interested in that than I am in the head coach. That's how miserable Shoop was. :rolleyes:

·
Old-Timer
2,619 Posts
For the record, in Lovie's first season in St. Louis, their defense went from LAST in the NFL the year before to FIRST in the NFC and SECOND in the NFL. I remember just how horribly bad that 2000 Rams defense was. For them to turn it around so dramatically so quickly is amazing. Lovie has to deserve a lot of credit for that.

He seems like a smart guy with plenty of experience working on great teams (St. Louis and Tampa). That has to mean something. Just because his defense's numbers weren't great the last two seasons doesn't mean he won't make a good head coach. Ditka was never even a coordinator before he coached the Bears and people STILL clamor to get him back because of how successful he was.

I'm willing to give Angelo the benefit of the doubt on this one because he's made some very good moves the past year or so that I initially questioned.

I'm on the record as saying Lovie will be very successful here.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by <b>agoo101284</b>!

So the Bears should wait 2-3 weeks for Romeo Crennel? Do you want John Shoop to be our OC and Blache our DC? Because in 2 weeks time there will be no coordinators out there. In case you haven't noticed, every head coaching job minus Oakland has been filled. Hmm.. I wonder why.

Where was St. Louis' defense 3 years ago? This season they led the league w/ 46 turnovers and 5 TDs. Sorry I don't fault the guy for the Jason Sehorn experiment and the fact Delhomme was playing out of his mind.

Are you really concerned about the Bears? Or are you just mad that Weis and Crennel didn't get jobs?

·
Old-Timer
2,619 Posts

So the Bears should wait 2-3 weeks for Romeo Crennel? Do you want John Shoop to be our OC and Blache our DC? Because in 2 weeks time there will be no coordinators out there. In case you haven't noticed, every head coaching job minus Oakland has been filled. Hmm.. I wonder why.

Where was St. Louis' defense 3 years ago? This season they led the league w/ 46 turnovers and 5 TDs. Sorry I don't fault the guy for the Jason Sehorn experiment and the fact Delhomme was playing out of his mind.

Are you really concerned about the Bears? Or are you just mad that Weis and Crennel didn't get jobs?
Amen! :yes:

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by <b>PC Load Letter</b>!
For the record, in Lovie's first season in St. Louis, their defense went from LAST in the NFL the year before to FIRST in the NFC and SECOND in the NFL. I remember just how horribly bad that 2000 Rams defense was. For them to turn it around so dramatically so quickly is amazing. Lovie has to deserve a lot of credit for that.

He seems like a smart guy with plenty of experience working on great teams (St. Louis and Tampa). That has to mean something. Just because his defense's numbers weren't great the last two seasons doesn't mean he won't make a good head coach. Ditka was never even a coordinator before he coached the Bears and people STILL clamor to get him back because of how successful he was.

I'm willing to give Angelo the benefit of the doubt on this one because he's made some very good moves the past year or so that I initially questioned.

I'm on the record as saying Lovie will be very successful here.
I concur PC Load. Its amazing how much idiocy is in the Chicago media these days concerning Angelo (*cough *cough Mike North anyone?). Angelo has actually done a good job w/ personnel and I encourage anyone who disagrees to prove it otherwise.

Likewise, I think Lovie takes our team to the playoffs next season.

·
Premium Member
8,261 Posts
Actually, neither. I could care less about the Bears and why would I be mad that the best coordinator duo in the NFL is going to be back in New England next year?

Why wait 2-3 weeks? Because you can do better, that's why. Who do you want, the first guy, or the better guy? Crenel, whenver he gets his chance, will be a better coach than Lovie Smith.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.