Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I ask you all this...???

ATTENTION CBA experts

If I am understanding it correctly, you are allowed to extend an existing contract of a player in his last year by March 1 of the season ... e.g. Sheed.

Can we do this with Okur? Have Detroit extend his contract before he is traded to Portland (in trade scenarios anyways).

Or, he can not do this because he is in his rookie contract, and has no Bird rights since his contract was under 3 years. Thus a qualifying offer may not have been extended by Detroit to him by Oct 31, leaving him an unrestricted FA???

Which rule trumps the other???

G

·
He is a rookie, correct? You cannot extend a rookie. I will post this now, know I could be wrong, but looking into his contract anyway.

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
OK, according to ARTICLE VII, Section 7(a), no contract shorter than 4 years can be extended. That rules out an extension for Okur.

As for the time frame, I could be wrong, but I don't know that there's any restriction on extending a veteran player's contract. Section 7(a) of ARTICLE VII gives the rules for extending veteran player contracts, but no time restriction is given. If there is a restriction, it appears elsewhere. But from what I read, I don't know that there is such a restriction.

Section 7(c) talks about renegotiating veteran player contracts (a different issue altogether) and it DOES have a time restriction. No contract can be renegotiated between March 1 and June 30. [BTW, it also says that no team above the salary cap can renegotiate a contract and it says that you cannot decrease a player's salary in renegotiation, only increase it]

Here's the link:

ARTICLE VII, Section 7 of the CBA

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you SCBF.....

G

·
Originally posted by <b>So Cal Blazer Fan</b>!
OK, according to ARTICLE VII, Section 7(a), no contract shorter than 4 years can be extended. That rules out an extension for Okur.

As for the time frame, I could be wrong, but I don't know that there's any restriction on extending a veteran player's contract. Section 7(a) of ARTICLE VII gives the rules for extending veteran player contracts, but no time restriction is given. If there is a restriction, it appears elsewhere. But from what I read, I don't know that there is such a restriction.

Section 7(c) talks about renegotiating veteran player contracts (a different issue altogether) and it DOES have a time restriction. No contract can be renegotiated between March 1 and June 30. [BTW, it also says that no team above the salary cap can renegotiate a contract and it says that you cannot decrease a player's salary in renegotiation, only increase it]

Here's the link:

ARTICLE VII, Section 7 of the CBA

Thank you! I knew someone would make this right!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts