Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did we miss out by not getting Merrimack into the AEC? They are 7-1 in the NEC and 12-8 vs D1 opponents with a win against Northwestern. It looks likely that they will win the conference and because of the transitional program designation not make the tourney. Either way congrats to those players and coaches on a great job so far.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
They won the regular season in men's soccer too with a 9-0 record (they were a powerhouse in D2 prior). They might even win the league in men's lax too. They were one back-to-back D2 champions. The AE didn't "miss out" on Merrimack. They're much more of an NEC institutional fit, and being a football add for the NEC made a lot of sense. They'd been planning their transition for years and made sure they got their ducks in a row resource-wise. What I will say is that as a UVM fan I hope UVM starts playing them in basketball if they keep this level up (good greater Boston area game they can get alumni to), and in other sports too (you'd think there should be some friendly scheduling being Hockey East conference mates).

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
They would have had nowhere to put their football team if they joined America East. Moot question.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Merrimack is prohibited from playing in the NEC tournament due to their provisional status. Will not be able to so until 2023-24 upon completion of its four-year NCAA Division I reclassification period.

As for AE inclusion if they did not have football, would UML have wanted another member so close by? The two schools are just 14 miles apart and they are not located in a big city like Boston when the AE last had two members in close proximity. If St Mike's upgraded to D1, would nearby UVM want them in the AE?

·
Registered
476 Posts
If they win the regular season, I wonder if they are eligible for the automatic NIT spot. My guess is no since it’s an NCAA event and would assume the transition period applies to that event as well, but not sure.

·
Premium Member
32,891 Posts
UMass-Lowell was reasonably successful in its first AE season relatively speaking/ all things considered I remember they had two players in particular that were a handful, Akeem Willians and another big....

But, first in the conference? That’s pretty not good if you’re pre-existing NEC schools. NEC ADs must be like WTF are my coaches doing(?)

·
Realist/A-hole
5,467 Posts
If they win the regular season, I wonder if they are eligible for the automatic NIT spot. My guess is no since it’s an NCAA event and would assume the transition period applies to that event as well, but not sure.
The answer I believe is no. There would be no NIT Auto qualifier if Merrimack wins the regular season NEC title.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,467 Posts
UMass-Lowell was reasonably successful in its first AE season relatively speaking/ all things considered I remember they had two players in particular that were a handful, Akeem Willians and another big....

But, first in the conference? That’s pretty not good if you’re pre-existing NEC schools. NEC ADs must be like WTF are my coaches doing(?)
It shows that there isn't much of a difference between the upper echelon D2's and low majors.

·
5,807 Posts
The answer I believe is no. There would be no NIT Auto qualifier if Merrimack wins the regular season NEC title.
I remember 10 years ago when NJIT was in a league with only five schools, the Great West Conference, and so they weren't eligible for the NCAA Tournament. The league struck a deal with the CIT for an autobid for the conference champion. I wonder if Merrimack's transition period only applies to the NCAA and NIT, and may let them into the CIT or CBI.

·
Registered
476 Posts
As for AE inclusion if they did not have football, would UML have wanted another member so close by? The two schools are just 14 miles apart and they are not located in a big city like Boston when the AE last had two members in close proximity. If St Mike's upgraded to D1, would nearby UVM want them in the AE?
The thing to realize is Merrimack is our historic rival going back to the 70s and 80s. This season I think every single one of our teams has played them in OOC play, so my gut says our admin would be fine with them being members of AE. With that said, MC doesn't really fit AEs profile, so it wouldn't make a ton of sense

·
The People's Champ
653 Posts
The thing to realize is Merrimack is our historic rival going back to the 70s and 80s. This season I think every single one of our teams has played them in OOC play, so my gut says our admin would be fine with them being members of AE. With that said, MC doesn't really fit AEs profile, so it wouldn't make a ton of sense
ok, with that being said, what is AE's profile? I for one always thought D2 NE-10 schools would be great for the AE if they moved up. Bryant, Merrimack... the future could be SNHU, St.A's...

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
ok, with that being said, what is AE's profile? I for one always thought D2 NE-10 schools would be great for the AE if they moved up. Bryant, Merrimack... the future could be SNHU, St.A's...
Public schools of slightly above average repute with enrollments anywhere between 8-18k in New England and upstate NY + Baltimore. Hartford honestly is the school's outlier because it's a private school but in terms of enrollment, location and general admission standards it fits.

Merrimacks, Byants etc are 3k enrollment schools. St. Anselm's won't be going D1 even if they flopped in finding a league to join while looking to go D3. They need the St. Mike's and Franklin Pierces of the world to drop down to D3 with them when they realize competiting in the NE10 isn't worth it budget wise as their enrollments shrink because of their sticker prices of tuition. SNHU is 3k on campus enrollment, ergo, NEC.

·
President of the Anti-Carbone Club
99 Posts
Despite being private I’d say Hartford is closer to the rest of the AE profile than Stony Brook, given our size (27k students) and acceptance rate (40%)

·
Registered
8,794 Posts
Lowell & Merrimack will probably play each other in almost every sport every season.....its a win/win. They both get a super close OOC game and no matter who wins it doesn't affect their conference standing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts