Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The discussion in the other thread about Worcester led me to think about the newest pro team in the state, the Worcester Railers. A lot of minor league teams either have some similar name/logo to their pro affiliates, or can have something a bit tacky going on with it. The Railers were a breath of fresh air, considering they replaced the Worcester Sharks (affiliate of San Jose) and then didn't go immediately toward their affiliate's deal (NY Islanders). They also did a great job with branding, to the point where I'd actually be interested in getting a jersey of theirs, even though they have nothing to do with the Bruins.

The other teams in my area aren't all that creative. The WooSox (formerly Paw Sox) with the Red Sox, the Providence Bruins with the Bruins and such where it's just a minor league copy of the major league one. There are the Red Claws with the Celtics, but I always found their logo a bit goofy (albeit appropriate for the region).

Here's a photo of the Railers gear (Polar, the sponsor on the jersey, is HQd in Worcester...so even that is fine). The heart on the left sleeve is because Worcester refers to itself as "The Heart of the Commonwealth" being in the center of the state and all.

What else is out there?

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I prefer the Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch Rovers soccer team personally...

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
My hometown Chattanooga Lookouts (double A, Reds affiliate)

·
Registered
944 Posts
I used to follow the Minor Leagues more when I was a kid. We had the Richmond Braves here and I got to see great teams with Chipper Jones, Javy Lopez, Tom Glavine, and several others. For some reason, even though they were different divisions, I always remembered the Lookouts and thought it was a cool identity.

We've got the Flying Squirrels now, which seems to be a pretty popular team as far as logos go. It's too bad they're the Giants affiliate. I'd love for the O's to be able to bring a team to Richmond, though if it changed, it would likely be the (?) Nats instead.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
I was always partial to a couple of minor league hockey teams, the Macon Whoopees (a later franchise was the "Whoopee") and the Broome Dusters. The latter was located in Binghamton, NY, the largest city in Broome County. When I was there during graduate school, they were led by Roddy Bloomfield who was also the skating double for Paul Newman in Slapshot.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
There was a plan last October to re-organize a lot of the minor league system.
42 teams were going to be cut, and some old time leagues like the South Atlantic would be shuffled.
For some reason, the Chattanooga Lookouts were one of four double A team slated for this cut.
They are the second oldest minor league ball team, behind the Buffalo Bisons.
The plan seems to have stalled, and I hope it never happens that Chattanooga loses the Lookouts.
They use to play in Engel Stadium, before they built a beautiful ballpark, downtown, on the river in the heart of the tourist center. Dead away center was 471', deepest in all of baseball.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
The Dayton Dragons are the Red’s low A affiliate. It’s a nice set up because the Red’s are so close. They also have sold out for 1,385 consecutive games every game in the team’s twenty seasons

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Everything's better in Dayton. We all know that. No need to rub it in.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Engel stadium, home of the Lookouts, also was home to the Chattanooga Choo Choos.
Willie Mays started his career with the when he was 16. He's 4th from the left, kneeling on the front row.

Edit: for some reason my picture is not showing up. Where's Epic when I need him. It says "contact administrator."

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I was always partial to a couple of minor league hockey teams, the Macon Whoopees (a later franchise was the "Whoopee") and the Broome Dusters. The latter was located in Binghamton, NY, the largest city in Broome County. When I was there during graduate school, they were led by Roddy Bloomfield who was also the skating double for Paul Newman in Slapshot.
Funny you should mention SUNY Binghamton, Res. My daughter is a senior there. In my opinion, one of the lamest names out their is the Double A affiliate of the Mets, the Binghamton Rumble Ponies. Wtf? Who name's a baseball team the Rumble Ponies? Oh right, I forgot, they're associated with the Mets. ?

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
I was expecting a strong response from Bona84, a notorious Mets fan around these parts.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
They were the Binghamton Mets, right? Why mess with a good thing? Rumble Ponies??
I believe you're correct, BI85. The story my daughter told was they had a "name your team" competition a few years back. I just looked it up and she is correct. From the mlb.com site:

"The name faced some stiff competition, too, beating out monikers like Timber Jockeys, Stud Muffins and Rocking Horses. And while the name sounds odd, it's actually a reference to the town being known as the "Carousel Capital of the World," for their extensive collection of antique merry-go-rounds."

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I used to follow the Minor Leagues more when I was a kid. We had the Richmond Braves here and I got to see great teams with Chipper Jones, Javy Lopez, Tom Glavine, and several others. For some reason, even though they were different divisions, I always remembered the Lookouts and thought it was a cool identity.

We've got the Flying Squirrels now, which seems to be a pretty popular team as far as logos go. It's too bad they're the Giants affiliate. I'd love for the O's to be able to bring a team to Richmond, though if it changed, it would likely be the (?) Nats instead.
View attachment 20740
Cool logo. I may have to order a t-shirt.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts