Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Link

"I apologize," Mourning said in his first public discussion of the Dec. 17 trade which made him a Raptor — at least theoretically—and sent Vince Carter to New Jersey. "That was my main purpose of not stepping foot in Toronto at all, not to raise anyone's hopes or anything like that.
"They knew before the trade even happened, they were made aware by (Nets general manager) Rod Thorn, that if (they made) this trade, there (was) a strong, strong possibility Alonzo Mourning won't even report.
"It wasn't foreign to them, they adopted a problem. I didn't cause it at all. They knew what they were getting into."
"I'm 35 years old and I've been a part of rebuilding teams and considering my health situation, I didn't want to be in a situation where I was going to waste my time out on the court," Mourning said.
"I want a reward for my efforts and I'm not saying Toronto didn't have the talent to get into the playoffs, especially if I had come there to contribute but it's not about getting into the playoffs for me any more. I'm at a stage in my career where I don't know how much longer I'm going to be able to do this so if I do it, I want to do it on a level where I can see a reward at the end of it."
Zo is a JERK. They really should have just suspended him, instead of buying out his contract.

-Petey

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ToddMacCulloch11 said:
Zo sucks.
Yeah, some on the Raptors board... (Same topic) think it was a good idea to buy him out.

I don't think he ever would have reported.

-Petey

·
Registered
101 Posts
You know... I often wonder why did they take Zo's contract...? It wasn't exactly neccesary.

If they wanted to let go of VC so bad... they could of easily asked for us to use the 5 million trade exception and let us deal with Zo.

Regardless I'm happy he was let go but it does make you wonder, they just added unneccesary payroll to there salary cap. It has to make you seriously question the GM's judgement... and how smart he is. Because us having the 5 milloin trade exception, I'm sure he could of probably asked for that instead of Zo. He also probably could of gotten a lot much better things for VC.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TataFry said:
You know... I often wonder why did they take Zo's contract...? It wasn't exactly neccesary.

If they wanted to let go of VC so bad... they could of easily asked for us to use the 5 million trade exception and let us deal with Zo.

Regardless I'm happy he was let go but it does make you wonder, they just added unneccasry payroll to there salary cap. I seriously question the GM's judgement... and how smart he is, I'm sure he could of gotten much better for VC.
You can't trade an 'Trade Exception' along with players.

-Petey

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
I've talked about this a lot in past weeks, so all I'll say is that our General Manager is a weakling for giving-in to Mourning and his agent. Babcock should've pushed Mourning to abandon his contract if he wanted to play elsewhere in the next two and a half seasons.

·
Registered
101 Posts
speedythief said:
I've talked about this a lot in past weeks, so all I'll say is that our General Manager is a weakling for giving-in to Mourning and his agent. Babcock should've pushed Mourning to abandon his contract if he wanted to play elsewhere in the next two and a half seasons.
Yeah I agree. I would of suspeneded if he didn't play, or just not pay him for not showing up. I would of offered him a buy out but I wouldn't pay him the amount he was asking for and instead buy him out for as low as you can go. And if he has a problem with that, he can just sit down and do nothing while his contract runs out.

What annoys me about him is that Zo acts like he deserves everything, but in reality he's been a real jerk and IMO doesn't deserve anything. In the end he's going to try and ride the Heat to win a championship because (as Zo said earlier) 'I've paid my dues in the league and I deserve to win a championship.'

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
So could Toronto have done that thing where New Orleans just didn't pay for Jim Jackson when Jim Jackson didn't show up?

Also, could they have "released" him or "put him on waivers"?

What does that mean as far as paying his contract?

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
furnace said:
So could Toronto have done that thing where New Orleans just didn't pay for Jim Jackson when Jim Jackson didn't show up?

Also, could they have "released" him or "put him on waivers"?

What does that mean as far as paying his contract?
If they would have put him on waivers, no other team would have claimed him, and they would have to have paid the full amount.

In fact, I think they still did put him on waivers, but they had the buyout already negotiated to fall back on when he was not claimed.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Petey said:
Yeah, some on the Raptors board... (Same topic) think it was a good idea to buy him out.
It would have been a much better idea to not have traded for him in the first place.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
schub said:
If they would have put him on waivers, no other team would have claimed him, and they would have to have paid the full amount.

In fact, I think they still did put him on waivers, but they had the buyout already negotiated to fall back on when he was not claimed.
Cool thanx...

What about just releasing him?

·
Registered
609 Posts
if toronto were to just stop paying Mouring for not showing up, all mourning had to was take a plane to toronto, show up to the doctors, say "As you can see I have kidney problems".

and, toronto is forced to put Mourning on the injured list because he is technically 'injured'. And thus mourning keeps getting paid, and doesn't have to show up.

Regard Zo is a complete jack-***. And I hope the NBA makes a new arrangement regarding players that don't want to play. Guys like Payton, Zo, Dale Davis....should not be able to do what they pulled this season.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
schub said:
It would have been a much better idea to not have traded for him in the first place.
Yeah wanted to get rid of their garbage... (Carter).

-Petey

1 - 17 of 17 Posts