Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
rumors have been floating around for a month that the NBA should make 15 NBDL teams, 1 NBDL team for each NBA team. Where NBA teams can actually stock players.

My guess is it might actually happen.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
hihofink said:
rumors have been floating around for a month that the NBA should make 15 NBDL teams, 1 NBDL team for each NBA team. Where NBA teams can actually stock players.

My guess is it might actually happen.
That's actually gonna be very expensive. First need places to play the games, refs, management for the league, among other things.

It'll be interesting to see if they try to push it through.

-Petey

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Like MLB's Triple A or AA teams/league ? And NHL's farm teams ?
I agree, that'll be expensive.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Hey and how much do you guys think that would have helped Zoran's development if it was around 2 years ago?

-Petey

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
hihofink said:
rumors have been floating around for a month that the NBA should make 15 NBDL teams, 1 NBDL team for each NBA team.
There's only 15 NBA teams ??? :confused:

hihofink said:
Where NBA teams can actually stock players.
So, only rich teams will be the only one who can afford to hoard players ? Or develop high school players (read: underage according to future CBA) who doesn't want to go to college ?

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Petey said:
Hey and how much do you guys think that would have helped Zoran's development if it was around 2 years ago?
-Petey
I see your point, it's ideal. But I can smell some loopholes somewhere that it'll be used other than it's intended purpose.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
LuckyAC said:
He meant one NBDL team for each TWO NBA teams.
Thanks Lucky, pardon my ignorance.
I guess I'm not reading a lot recently.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
faNETicS said:
I see your point, it's ideal. But I can smell some loopholes somewhere that it'll be used other than it's intended purpose.
My point that he won't have much to play against, it would be like an extended summer league, but perhaps even more watered down, as players that do well in the summer league, that don't get contracts could go to Europe for more money.

-Petey

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
PSUmtj112 said:
I think a full fledge minor league would be great for the NBA. A lot of kids enter the NBA with NBA talent, but are not skilled enough yet. A minor league would be a place for them to go, within the NBA structure, to refine their skills.
I always thought the reason for the NBDL was to be a minor league system but in fact, it's just another separate league because teams rarely pick up guys from there...I think maybe 5-10 guys have come from the NBDL it seems this year...if this happens, I think they should tighten it...like have minor league options and stuff...

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
NBA Commissioner David Stern announced today that the National Basketball Development League has awarded teams to four Southwest U.S. cities for the 2005-06 season.

The teams will be owned and operated by Southwest Basketball, LLC, led by former Indiana Pacers general manager David Kahn.

"The expansion of the NBDL illustrates that the NBA's minor league has not only been successful in developing NBA talent on and off the court, but is a business proposition whose time has come," Stern said. "We are indeed fortunate to have attracted not only an investor in four new teams, but also, in the case of David Kahn, an experienced basketball person who knows what it takes to make these teams succeed."

The NBDL teams in Albuquerque, N.M., Austin and Fort Worth, Texas, and Tulsa, Okla. join the Florida Flame (Ft. Myers) as teams independently owned and operated in the league. The Asheville Altitude (N.C.), Columbus Riverdragons (Ga.), Fayetteville Patriots (N.C.), Huntsville Flight (Ala.) and Roanoke Dazzle (Va.) are owned and operated by the NBA.

Kahn worked for nearly nine years in the front office of the Pacers. From 1998-2002 he oversaw both the business and basketball sides of the organization; represented the Pacers on the NBA's Competition Committee; and managed a staff of over 120 when the team moved into Conseco Fieldhouse in 1999.

Kahn is credited both in Indiana and in league circles for his involvement in the successful launch of Conseco Fieldhouse, beginning in 1995 with local lobbying efforts and culminating in the fieldhouse's opening to worldwide acclaim in 1999. During Kahn's time in Indiana, the Pacers reached the NBA Finals once and competed in the Eastern Conference Finals on three other occasions. The organization was also awarded a WNBA team (Indiana Fever) while Conseco Fieldhouse developed into the Midwest's mecca for sporting events such as the Big Ten men's basketball tournament and world-championship boxing.

http://www.nba.com/nbdl/nbdl/nbdlsouthwestrelease_050321.html

·
Registered
46 Posts
I love the idea!

It's about time that some of the kids that don't have a chance to go to college, and have some talent can join a team and develop within an organized environment. It's a great idea considering so many people play basketball, and if you think about it, there aren't many spots for a player when Basketball has one of the smallest starting line-ups of American Team Sports: Baseball=9, Football=11 on offense and 11 on defense...

What I am trying to say is that there are a lot more people trying to play basketball than there are possible open spots...

Just think of all of the decent young talents that have lost confidence rotting on an NBA bench, and never really recovering to play at the level consistent with their talent, ie: Rod Strickland with the Knicks, before being traded...

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
uptown4784 said:
NBA Commissioner David Stern announced today that the National Basketball Development League has awarded teams to four Southwest U.S. cities for the 2005-06 season.

The teams will be owned and operated by Southwest Basketball, LLC, led by former Indiana Pacers general manager David Kahn.

"The expansion of the NBDL illustrates that the NBA's minor league has not only been successful in developing NBA talent on and off the court, but is a business proposition whose time has come," Stern said. "We are indeed fortunate to have attracted not only an investor in four new teams, but also, in the case of David Kahn, an experienced basketball person who knows what it takes to make these teams succeed."

The NBDL teams in Albuquerque, N.M., Austin and Fort Worth, Texas, and Tulsa, Okla. join the Florida Flame (Ft. Myers) as teams independently owned and operated in the league. The Asheville Altitude (N.C.), Columbus Riverdragons (Ga.), Fayetteville Patriots (N.C.), Huntsville Flight (Ala.) and Roanoke Dazzle (Va.) are owned and operated by the NBA.

Kahn worked for nearly nine years in the front office of the Pacers. From 1998-2002 he oversaw both the business and basketball sides of the organization; represented the Pacers on the NBA's Competition Committee; and managed a staff of over 120 when the team moved into Conseco Fieldhouse in 1999.

Kahn is credited both in Indiana and in league circles for his involvement in the successful launch of Conseco Fieldhouse, beginning in 1995 with local lobbying efforts and culminating in the fieldhouse's opening to worldwide acclaim in 1999. During Kahn's time in Indiana, the Pacers reached the NBA Finals once and competed in the Eastern Conference Finals on three other occasions. The organization was also awarded a WNBA team (Indiana Fever) while Conseco Fieldhouse developed into the Midwest's mecca for sporting events such as the Big Ten men's basketball tournament and world-championship boxing.

http://www.nba.com/nbdl/nbdl/nbdlsouthwestrelease_050321.html

Well, that's a bit of a disappointment.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts