Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any experience travelling into NYC from CT on Metro North on Thanksgiving Eve? While it is a reverse commute, it could still be jammed due to the holiday. A couple of Drexel freshmen want to make the trip into MSG for the Duke game. I can see that it is two subway lines from GCT to Penn Station (MSG) and I'm sure that will be a zoo on Thanksgiving Eve. Driving into the city seems to me like it would be the worst option.

I was planning on a Providence trip to watch UNH, but might get drafted into the NYC trip. Any help will be appreciated!! lsbal, JW, Mildcat, anyone else??????

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
UNH Alum -

I've made the trek into Manhattan on Thanksgiving eve a few times for the Preseason NIT (Dad's an Arizona alum, if you remember), and coming in from Milford on Metro North it wasn't a problem, there are people on the train, but it's nothing like it will be on Friday. The only real problem is getting a cab from GCT to the Garden when you get to NYC. IT's walkable, but it can be a bit cold. You can take the subway connector as well.

Actually driving isn't THAT bad because most of the city empties out a bit, but parking may be a pain. If they're coming from CT, it's not that bad a ride if they take the Merritt to the Hutch - once they get to the West Side highway, I think they can get off at around 34th Street.

I've been working in Manhattan for the better part of 3 weeks now, and most of the people I'm working with took the day off. I actually flew in this morning to Boston on the Delta Shuttle and the 6:30 and 7:30 shuttles were empty.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
UNH_Alum_In_CT said:
Does anybody have any experience travelling into NYC from CT on Metro North on Thanksgiving Eve? While it is a reverse commute, it could still be jammed due to the holiday. A couple of Drexel freshmen want to make the trip into MSG for the Duke game. I can see that it is two subway lines from GCT to Penn Station (MSG) and I'm sure that will be a zoo on Thanksgiving Eve. Driving into the city seems to me like it would be the worst option.

I was planning on a Providence trip to watch UNH, but might get drafted into the NYC trip. Any help will be appreciated!! lsbal, JW, Mildcat, anyone else??????
UNH Alum:

The only time you'll have trouble on the trains is right after the parade ends on Thursday. Between the parade goers and city folks going to see family for the day, the west side subway lines, the LIRR and Path at Penn Station and Metro North will all be packed. Other than that, you should be fine if you opt for the train.

As between that and driving, personally, I'd opt for the train. The Hutch and 287 are notoriously brutal during holidays. I'd much prefer riding on a crowded train over sitting in miles and miles of traffic.

Whatever you wind up doing, hope you have a happy holiday.

·
Registered
245 Posts
UNH Alum-

Don't drive it. There's been a gridlock alert all week in the city.

You could drive to either the New Haven or Harlem line of Metro North and when you get to Grand Central it is two short (5 minute) subway trips. You'd take the shuttle (just look for the 'S' signs) to Times Square and then the 1 to Penn Station. It's not even that bad a walk if the weather cooperates.

Have a great time!

Oh, and double check the Metro North schedule...I guess tomorrow would count as a holiday schedule day.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice guys!!!! As it turned out, I didn't get drafted for the NYC trip. So, it was back to Plan "A", I went over to Providence. And I think that was probably the only trip that could be made in CT yesterday without hitting traffic gridlock!! Not that many folks going to the "Quiet Corner" of northeastern CT. Would have been a good game to watch at MSG though!

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
I actually drove from the NUHF temporary quarters (we're moving in 3 weeks) in Peabody, MA to Times Square in 3:25 this afternoon. Couldn't convince the wife to see the P-NIT consolation or finals, but there was ZERO traffic coming down to NYC.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts