Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this out of the NBA Draft forum, but I hardly know any of the posters there to get a feel on who knows what. Critique what others have to say and post your own predictions. Use the following format:

Here is what I had to say:

Boom
#1 Rodney Carney - So many detractors, and I see so much potential success. He has steadily improved his all-around game, especially on the defensive end. Outside shot has improved. Leadership was always a question, but he displayed a great bit of it in the tournament playing with fire and emotion while urging his teammates all over the court. Basketball IQ is really my only concern with him. If he "gets it," I see Superstart potential.

#2 Joakim Noah - So many questions about his size (weight), athleticism, and shooting touch. The guy is a workout warrior from everything I've read so is apt to improve on his problem areas. I think he actually has a good chance to become more athletic as his body catches up with his 6" growth spurt.

#3 Bargnani - I've seen him in very limited minutes, but he has that rare combination of outside shooting coupled with athleticism. These type of guys haven't panned out too well in recent drafts, but the difference is that the guy can board and play defense. I wish I could have seen him in action more often, but I don't see any other guy out there with more boom potential.

Bust
#1 Josh McRoberts - lack of athleticism will make his transition to the pros very tough and take away from his game. I could see him out of the league in 5 or 6 years (i.e. maybe someone takes a chance on him after his rookie contract), or a career role player at best. Bill Wennington minus a couple of inches perhaps.

#2 Brandon Roy - his stock has most likely risen higher than any player in the course of the tournament. I think the kid has great talent, and I think a lot of people see the next Wade type story out of the kid. However, even though he gets to the basket he doesn't play above the rim which I think will limit his impact in the NBA. I see him as a good sixth man or a role player starter, but if he is picked in the top 8 I think that would definately put him worthy of bust consideration. I think that guys like Carney, Brewer, and maybe Collins should go before him, but most likely will not. I do think he is worth of a look in the 12-14 range (late lottery). I see him as a less explosive Larry Hughes as his max upside.

#3 Rajon Rondo - Someone is going to take a chance on him due to his speed and for a need at PG. The guy started off strong, and seemed to disappear the second half of the season. I think he'll have a career plagued by inconsistency and career backup PG will be his best case scenerio. More likely, he'll be a 3rd PG type guy or out of the league completely.

Notes
Other players I considered putting in the Boom portion: Ronnie Brewer, Hilton Armstrong, Richard Roby

My sleeper 2nd round Boom pick: Nick Fazekas

While I don't classify Roy as really a bust, I definately think he is not going to be good as a lot of people are. One of the most overvalued would probably be a better term.

Other playes I considered putting in the Bust portion -- I thought about guys such as O'Bryant, Tyrus Thomas, and Glen Davis, but the two latter are so gifted athletically that it is almost impossible to gauge. O'Bryant also has that massive wingspan that is impossible not to like in the NBA. I wouldn't be surprised any of these three were a boom or bust.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
McRoberts is pretty athletic. He threw down two alley oops in the space of a minute against LSU. He doesn't seem to get the ball as much as you'd like to see - probably a result of playing next to Shelden Williams, but he looks like the real deal IMO. A legit 6'10'' with some ups and a soft touch. The numbers aren't overwhelming but I'd be surprised if he wasn't a pretty darn good pro within three years.

·
Registered
8,427 Posts
jbulls said:
McRoberts is pretty athletic. He threw down two alley oops in the space of a minute against LSU. He doesn't seem to get the ball as much as you'd like to see - probably a result of playing next to Shelden Williams, but he looks like the real deal IMO. A legit 6'10'' with some ups and a soft touch. The numbers aren't overwhelming but I'd be surprised if he wasn't a pretty darn good pro within three years.
Seriously, McRoberts is quite a good athlete.

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Darius Miles Davis said:
Seriously, McRoberts is quite a good athlete.
I posted my argument in the Draft forum regarding this. He has decent hops and decent court speed. I just think he is very slow from a lateral quickness standpoint. Like Sweetney slow on defense. That coupled with the fact he plays fairly soft, and I just don't see a lot of upside out of the kid.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
but if he is picked in the top 8 I think that would definately put him worthy of bust consideration. I think that guys like Carney, Brewer, and maybe Collins should go before him, but most likely will not. I do think he is worth of a look in the 12-14 range (late lottery). I see him as a less explosive Larry Hughes as his max upside.
I think once he adds some strength that he'll be able to do so, he just won't defy gravity or join the dunk contest anytime soon. He seems to be the most ideal guard choice for us as not only we can put him next to Gordon, but also Hinrich.

I still hope for Carney to fall to our pick, but honestly don't see us being able to get either of the three unless we improve our pick / not get into the playoffs. If it were up to me, it would go Roy, Carney then Brewer.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Rhyder said:
I posted my argument in the Draft forum regarding this. He has decent hops and decent court speed. I just think he is very slow from a lateral quickness standpoint. Like Sweetney slow on defense. That coupled with the fact he plays fairly soft, and I just don't see a lot of upside out of the kid.
Like it or not McRoberts is absolutely nothing like Michael Sweetney or Bill Wennington (the two comps you've given in this thread). If you're going to knock him, you've got to do better than that.

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jbulls said:
Like it or not McRoberts is absolutely nothing like Michael Sweetney or Bill Wennington (the two comps you've given in this thread). If you're going to knock him, you've got to do better than that.
I wasn't making a direct comparison. The Wennington comparison is in regards to his jumper and playing soft. The Sweetney comparison is about his slow lateral footspeed and is mainly a comparison only defensively--I see him picking up a lot of silly fouls because he's half a step slow rotating.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.