Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a long road back to winning games for the Chicago Bulls since MJ's jumper over B. Russell in '98. I wouldn't say they drafted poorly, but the young guys they picked who bypassed college took a long time to develop (which is normal) It wasn't until they drafted college tested vets like Hinrich, Gordan, Duhon, Deng (just think how good they would be had J. Williams not spun out on his hog?) It's no coincidence that they are winning now. You could make a case that the before mentioned college guys are good character guys as well. Other than possibly Gordan, none of them will ever see and All-Star Game, but I'd take their roster. They get after it on defense and they know their roles. Just something for all of the Blazer fans to think about who want to draft Gerald Green. Nothing against Green, but the Blazers (IMO) have enough green guys on their roster.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
kaydow said:
It's been a long road back to winning games for the Chicago Bulls since MJ's jumper over B. Russell in '98. I wouldn't say they drafted poorly, but the young guys they picked who bypassed college took a long time to develop (which is normal) It wasn't until they drafted college tested vets like Hinrich, Gordan, Duhon, Deng (just think how good they would be had J. Williams not spun out on his hog?) It's no coincidence that they are winning now. You could make a case that the before mentioned college guys are good character guys as well. Other than possibly Gordan, none of them will ever see and All-Star Game, but I'd take their roster. They get after it on defense and they know their roles. Just something for all of the Blazer fans to think about who want to draft Gerald Green. Nothing against Green, but the Blazers (IMO) have enough green guys on their roster.
Deng left Duke after his freshman year. Gordon was a junior. Both of those guys were younger than Khryapa and Monia when coming into the draft. All this talk about drafting experienced seniors is overrated.

JR Smith and Josh Smith are looking okay right now, aren't they? And Dwight Howard? It doesn't matter how much (college) experience a guy has, it's whether he has talent. If Gerald Green is the best talent avalable, then I'd be happy with us selecting him.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Fork said:
Deng left Duke after his freshman year. Gordon was a junior. Both of those guys were younger than Khryapa and Monia when coming into the draft. All this talk about drafting experienced seniors is overrated.

JR Smith and Josh Smith are looking okay right now, aren't they? And Dwight Howard? It doesn't matter how much (college) experience a guy has, it's whether he has talent. If Gerald Green is the best talent avalable, then I'd be happy with us selecting him.
Great post and good points, Fork.

I've expressed concerns about Green, but primarily because that we're going to be choosing so high that picking a project as a 2 makes me nervous. If he's the best prospect, though, his youth won't make me root against taking him.

Ed O.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I think a big reason it took the Bulls so long to rebuild is because they got impatient with some of their young players like Ron Artest, Elton Brand and Brad Miller. If they would have stuck with those guys and let them develop the Bulls would have been better much sooner. Also they had a crappy head coach, that didn't help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts