Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it would be a lot more organized to have every thing relating to the NCAA Tournament here, in one thread.
What are your picks for today?

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Wow, some of you got stuck by Vermont yesterday. I was openly cheering for them at WEGZ last night. Norm Rumack is in mourning.

Sorry JNB. I had your boys losing to Duke. I'm happy to say I was wrong.

I had Kansas going to the elite 8 though. Giddens looked like crap to me of what little they showed.

·
Premium Member
17,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My picks for today:
Gonzaga over Texas Tech
Oklahoma over Utah
Illanois over Nevada
Arizona over Alabama B.
Wake Forest over West Virginia
Kentucky over Cincinnati

I played proline with these picks..
I only had $4 on me so that's all I bet, if I win I get $90 though.

·
Premium Member
17,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Budweiser_Boy said:
Wow, and I'm still 2nd place in the Yahoo league. I doubt that'll hold up though.
Heh, I should have joined but I was too lazy.
My pick in the beginning of the tournament was Illinois, hopefully they will not dissapoint.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
blowuptheraptors said:
A-C-C

UCONN goes down. For a team of future NBAers, they were disappointing.
We got you guys last night though. West Virginia over Wake in a classic (that I picked in my brackets). Then again my strategy / bias for Big East teams and hate for Big Ten teams has led me to be 41st out of 49 in the bbb. net pool. :biggrin:

Marcus Williams is crap - I don't see how he has climbed the draft boards so much this year. As of late he tries to take over games in the second half and shows absolutely no creativity - I ask myself how did this guy average over 8 dishes a game to lead the NCAA. His playmaking has never really impressed me.

UConn should never have been a 2 seed in the first place.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Went to buy some pro-line tickets this afternoon for the 4:30 series of games.

Chose three ties (not my usual strategy). Get to the counter and my ticket was rejected because the combination of three ties has been picked so much that the OLGC is exposed to too much liability. I was told I could pick another combination for the games.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Well, there goes my bracket...I had uconn going all the way.

I've followed uconn since their Richard Hamilton days and this game was hard and frustrating to watch.
Every year, they always had a player step up during the tournament. Whether it was Rip, Khalid El-Amin, Caron Butler or Okafor. This year no one stepped up. They had absolutely no rhythm on offense and it looked like no heart. I have to give credit to NC State, they completely shut down uconn's transition offense and made it difficult for them to play in a half court set. Connecticut just kept throwing up shots in the second half and what ever went in was pretty much by luck. Villanueva struggled defensively and Gay struggled on offense. Those guys are supposed to be there top players, they are the ones who are supposed to come through when it counts. But it didn't even look like they cared.
This tourny so far has shown that emotion and will can sometimes overcome a lack of talent. Teams like Bucknell, Vermont, UWV, they played like they were playing the last game of their life. They were diving for every loose ball, fighting for rebounds and eventually came out on top. For UConn, since basically the whole team are freshman or sophs, it could've been lack of experience or lack of will. Look at Julius Hodge, a senior who faced a tough loss last year. He NEEDED to win this, this is his last chance at going to a final four and he wants to make the best of it.
I just hated that the Huskies showed no emotion and basically gave the game to NC State.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
blowuptheraptors said:
Wow, some of you got stuck by Vermont yesterday. I was openly cheering for them at WEGZ last night. Norm Rumack is in mourning.

Sorry JNB. I had your boys losing to Duke. I'm happy to say I was wrong.

I had Kansas going to the elite 8 though. Giddens looked like crap to me of what little they showed.
Syracuse loss was disappointing but I certainly saw it is a possibility. Vermont should not have been a 13 seed, they should have been an 11 or 12. Either way, don't really want to make excuses, because if you can't take care of an "11" seed type team you can't really complain.

As for Giddens - since about January I have been calling him the most overrated player and prospect in the NCAA - everyone was hoping that he would develop some mid-range game to support his outstanding athelticism and his very good three point shooting in 03/04. Look at this Free Throw Attempt Numbers - they are absolutely pitiful. All he does is hang around the outside like a true nancy. A horrible waste of talent. You would think he would learn something from watching a player like Keith Langford who is a great slasher.

If Giddens leaves last year he would have been a late first rounder., Right now he is a third-rounder, i.e. he ain't getting drafted.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
laydee-bawla22 said:
Well, there goes my bracket...I had uconn going all the way.

I've followed uconn since their Richard Hamilton days and this game was hard and frustrating to watch.
Every year, they always had a player step up during the tournament. Whether it was Rip, Khalid El-Amin, Caron Butler or Okafor. This year no one stepped up. They had absolutely no rhythm on offense and it looked like no heart.
That's a good observation - I have followed the UConn program since it emerged in 1990 and it has always had one clear offensive leader except for the last two years when Gordon and Okafor.

Tate George
Donnyell Marshall
Ray Allen
Richard Hamilton
Gordon / Okafor

This year they had too many guys who could score, and it doesn't look the team had a go to man, or the team was not willing to allow for a go to man. Villaneuva, Boone, Gay, Brown, Anderson, Williams - more scoring depth on this team then any UConn team before it - but no go to guy - and that's the way that Calhoun has always won.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
It will be nice that Julius Hodge will suffer his last loss in Syracuse. It will be very nice to see lose and whine / cry, at the school he screwed over in recruiting.

Ironically, when Hodge renegged on us, a scholarship opened up (back when there was a 5/8 limit on scholarships) and Syracuse signed an unheralded recruit by the name of Hakim Warrick.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Alright kids - don't ever play pro-line.

I had Bucknell covering 8.5 vs Wisconsin. So with about 10 seconds left, down 69-59 they hit a three, to make it 69-62. Great I just won $80 ($100 less my $20 bet). Nope, some idiot from Bucknell fouls with 2 friggin second left in the game, when Wisconsin has let up. So Wisconsin down by 7, hits 2 FT's with seconds left, and wins by 9. Damn!!!!

·
Fear The Red
8,910 Posts
Magus Relmyn said:
****! There go my Yellow Jackets! I hate Louisville. :curse:

By the way, Jarret Jack = future Toronto Raptor. :D
damn it i was hoping to see more of JJ before the draft

1 - 20 of 27 Posts