Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

OT: Pains, Migraines, and Automobiles..

454 views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  CanJohno 
#1 · (Edited)
With much interest, I enjoyed the recent thread on SUV choices, and the debates/suggestions that ensued. With that being said, I, too, will be in the market to purchase another vehicle. I've been saving money for about a year now, and my choices in vehicles has wavered between trucks, SUV's, mid-sized.....in other words, all across the board. :D

However, with the recent increases in gas prices, and no end in sight, I'm really beginning to think I should find an affordable (no more than low to mid-20's), gas-friendly, comfortable, and safe automobile. Currently, I'm just not sure what that would look like. Although, I'm really becoming more and more interested in the hybrid technology.

Anyway, if these four qualities were your top criteria, what might you lean towards?

Thanks!

#3 ·
Re: OT: Pains, Migranes, and Automobiles..

ABM said:
With much interest, I enjoyed the recent thread on SUV choices, and the debates/suggestions that ensued. With that being said, I, too, will be in the market to purchase another vehicle. I've been saving money for about a year now, and my choices in vehicles has wavered between trucks, SUV's, mid-sized.....in other words, all across the board. :D

However, with the recent increases in gas prices, and no end in sight, I'm really beginning to think I should find an affordable (no more than low to mid-20's), gas-friendly, comfortable, and safe automobile. Currently, I'm just not sure what that would look like. Although, I'm really becoming more and more interested in the hybrid technology.

Anyway, if these four qualities were your top criteria, what might you lean towards?

Thanks!
Im partial to hondas (as car). I'd rather have truck than an SUV, but what I really want, isn't realistic.

So I'd go with (and suggest) the new Honda Accord Hybrid. Has 255 hp, and still gets 37 mpg on the highway. Not sure about the price, but I think it was around 24K

#4 ·

white360 said:
Americans complain about gas prices all the time, and you hbae like 1.50 a gallon. In Norway we pay almost 2$ for 1 liter, and it's 3.8 liter in a gallon
we're spoiled in that aspect. Big time.

#6 ·

I'd wait.

The next technology is being refined even as we type.

I mean, when the GREEN HUMMER is being tested - we know there is about to be a paradigm shift.

I just bought two cars, I live in Houston and driving on these roads without an SUV is asking to never see anything. Everyone and their cousin drives the biggest damn vehicle you've ever seen. It's funny half the city owns an H2.

So to compete I bought these:

Toyota RAV/4 - Little worse gas milage of a Toyota Corolla. Efficiency and reliable. It has a little interior rattle, but that's why it is the "second car".

Infiniti FX35 - Beautiful car ... terrible gas milage. I get sticker shock everytime I fill up. Reliable as heck, but when it is going to sit in my garage more than 1/2 the time ... why should it ever wear down.

We use the RAV/4 for most things. It's the junk-around car.

The Infiniti is used for special occations or when I just want to be Billy-bad-***.

Play.

#7 ·

Playmaker0017 said:
I'd wait.

The next technology is being refined even as we type.

I mean, when the GREEN HUMMER is being tested - we know there is about to be a paradigm shift.

I just bought two cars, I live in Houston and driving on these roads without an SUV is asking to never see anything. Everyone and their cousin drives the biggest damn vehicle you've ever seen. It's funny half the city owns an H2.

So to compete I bought these:

Toyota RAV/4 - Little worse gas milage of a Toyota Corolla. Efficiency and reliable. It has a little interior rattle, but that's why it is the "second car".

Infiniti FX35 - Beautiful car ... terrible gas milage. I get sticker shock everytime I fill up. Reliable as heck, but when it is going to sit in my garage more than 1/2 the time ... why should it ever wear down.

We use the RAV/4 for most things. It's the junk-around car.

The Infiniti is used for special occations or when I just want to be Billy-bad-***.

Play.
I now know why you fish so close to the Reef. :greatjob:

#12 ·

white360 said:
Americans complain about gas prices all the time, and you hbae like 1.50 a gallon. In Norway we pay almost 2$ for 1 liter, and it's 3.8 liter in a gallon
First of all, it's $2.20 per gallon here, not $1.50.

Second, according to CNN, gas prices in Norway are approximately $5 (US) per gallon.

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/global_gasprices/price.html

You also don't have to pay for health care, college education, etc...

So don't tell us to stop complaining. We'll complain all we want.

#13 ·

i got to drive my inlaws' Honda CRV while in England. it was a one year old nice riding, reasonably powered 2 liter SUV that got about 30 mpg. had kind of a neat function--four wheel drive automatically kicked in if the front wheels started to slip. extremely comfortable, although a little bouncy in the back seats.

i never buy anything less than 7 years old, but when it comes time to replace my Isuzu Rodeo I think the CRV is an excellent choice.

#17 ·
If I was able to buy a new car today, it would probably be a Honda Accord. I know some want to buy American-made cars. I would really suggest going to the library for Consumer Reports annual car issue and/or auto buyers guide.
Unless you regularly transport large quantities of material or large numbers of people you area best off with a fuel-efficient car, and so is the planet. It is cheaper to run and easier to park.
Wednesday I was supposed to gas up my Toyota Corolla but was running late so I waited until Thursday. The price jumped from 2.06 to 2.22.
P.S. I know Europeans pay more for gas, but they also have far better public transportation and in many Euro cities things are close enough to walk or bicycle. In most US cities it is almost impossible to get around without a car. When I lived in Portland I spent 45 minutes getting to work by bus, but when I finally got a car it took 10. In the Bay Area commutes of 20, 30 or more miles one-way are common. I'd willingly give up driving to work if there were another way to get there.

#19 ·
crandc said:
If I was able to buy a new car today, it would probably be a Honda Accord.....

Interestingly enough, what I will be replacing is a 1992 Honda Accord with nearly 240,000 miles on it. Runs like a top and is immaculate inside, to boot. :D

To be honest, part of me wants to drive this sucker into the ground, but I'd probably be near 70 when that finally happened. Soooo, I'm getting a bit selfish, I guess, and moving towards something new and different. (Not that I have to, mind you. ;) )

#20 ·
crandc said:
If I was able to buy a new car today, it would probably be a Honda Accord. I know some want to buy American-made cars. I would really suggest going to the library for Consumer Reports annual car issue and/or auto buyers guide.
not to be nit-picky..but most of the the hondas that are sold in the US, are now made in the US.

#21 ·

Playmaker0017 said:
Hehe.

Reef actually has the most-fuel efficient Escalade. Errr ... wait ... that's not fuel efficient.

Play.
Reef drives one of those Mercedes SUV thingies to the Blazer games.....I've never seen him drive an escalade......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.